Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Hermes  (Read 9846 times)

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Re: HMS Hermes
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2020, 02:34:57 pm »

I think a big problem with all these large ships is going to be the costs of running them.     The American stuff has done well because of so many veteran volunteers manning them - but they are literally dying out - and a lot of the visitors would have been ex-services - and they are dying out too.   

UK has a much smaller pool of volunteers so I think generating any kind of profit will be difficult.        People can also get their 1-day 'old warship' hit all in one go at Portsmouth - why bother going anywhere else?

I suspect a lot of these preserved ships will just quietly disappear in the next 10-20 years.   (mirroring model boating as a hobby?)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2020, 03:19:45 pm »

I am afraid so , reminds me of the last time Old Albion was skint after WW II . In 1949 HMS Implacable (Ex Duguay-Trouin 1800) almost as old as Victory and still reasonably sound with a history as long as your arm was found to be unaffordable, towed out of Portsmouth and blown to smithereens off the Isle of Wight .  It is certain that in the wake of the corona pandemic when the reckoning has to be done and making repayments for our borrowing must be faced, many cherished projects will be abandoned and our cloth cut to suit our reduced means.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

old_gunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2020, 12:35:19 pm »

Nearly forty years ago, it doesn't bear thinking about does it!
Looked at some photo's of Op Corporate and in the 38 years since I can still fit into my uniform, well the boots and beret the rest seems to have shrunk.
Old Gunners never die, they just drop shorter.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2020, 01:13:03 pm »

With the amount the government has borrowed recently, you may have a new carrier to put up as a museum to help keep it financed in reserve.!!

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2020, 02:51:44 pm »

With the amount the government has borrowed recently, you may have a new carrier to put up as a museum to help keep it financed in reserve.!!

I thought that they had one of them chalked up as a possible HULK for illegal immigrants.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2020, 01:50:48 pm »

Are they big enough!!

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2020, 07:59:33 pm »

No need to use a carrier for this, there will be plenty of cruise liners going cheap.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2020, 04:29:25 pm »

Watching the series on Queen Elizabeth's first tour to the US to test land and cycle the F35, there were a number of conventions held aboard her in the Hangar, which did make me wonder at one of her roles as a flag flier/ambassador.

If this is the case then potential use for Hermes as a floating convention centre would be put at even greater risk, if our Carriers also have to solicit themselves as such during their fifty year lives.

Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2020, 11:34:32 pm »

Ian...I think the level of Security for such an event onboard HMS Queen Elizabeth [RO8] would take a Brigade of Royal Marines to implement and ensure such safety  :police:  .....the same would apply for a standard [lavish] onboard Naval Banquet

1. Goodness knows the planed itinerary of RO8, but I doubt she will venture too far a field or toward troubled waters
2. How many Royal Marines does it take to makes a Brigade?

3. Now The Royal Marines Captain General [Duke of Sussex] is in exile, it appears his 69 year old Aunt has taken over the reigns?
...[reigns sounds appropriate as Captain General Anne may ride a horse?]

Derek ....[this is not intended as a Political/Royalist comment posting]
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2020, 08:56:56 am »

Looked at some photo's of Op Corporate and in the 38 years since I can still fit into my uniform, well the boots and beret the rest seems to have shrunk.

Strange that, my uniforms seem to have shrunk too. Including my boots, my issued DMS boots were 12M and fitted fine, I now have to buy 13's or even 14's if they are a narrow fit. Perhaps I'm collapsing into my feet, or more likely, the increased load is making my feet bigger.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2020, 09:10:40 am »

You got it BeeJay :-))  as we grow older........we need larger size or width shoes........

[I might save my collection of good leather shoes & boots for a Grandchild]

https://www.berkeleywellness.com/self-care/article/do-feet-really-get-bigger-age

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2020, 11:39:48 am »

Looked at some photo's of Op Corporate and in the 38 years since I can still fit into my uniform, well the boots and beret the rest seems to have shrunk
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]Not just the issued stuff, my grey flannels and blazer have as well.  . . . Must be the dark wardrobes.
in my own little world

old_gunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2020, 10:13:49 am »

Ian...I think the level of Security for such an event onboard HMS Queen Elizabeth [RO8] would take a Brigade of Royal Marines to implement and ensure such safety  :police:  .....the same would apply for a standard [lavish] onboard Naval Banquet

1. Goodness knows the planed itinerary of RO8, but I doubt she will venture too far a field or toward troubled waters
2. How many Royal Marines does it take to makes a Brigade?

3. Now The Royal Marines Captain General [Duke of Sussex] is in exile, it appears his 69 year old Aunt has taken over the reigns?
...[reigns sounds appropriate as Captain General Anne may ride a horse?]

Derek ....[this is not intended as a Political/Royalist comment posting]
Can answer question 3, 3 Commando Units/Btn/Regt (however you would designate a RM Commando) plus 29 Cdo Rgt Royal Artillery, Commando Squadron Royal Engineers, Commando Logistics Rgt Royal Loggies, last but certainly not least 148 Bty NGFS Bty RA. All support unit troops have to pass the All Arms Commando Course and obtain their Green Lid.
Should add the first duty of the Royal Navy in foreign parts is to organize a good cocktail party.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2020, 10:58:48 am »

Thanks old_gunner .....although a off the original thread content, I was interested in understanding the level of security needed in todays World for a Nations Principal Military assets

Going back 30 something years, I saw the Carrier USS Enterprise anchored in Sydney Harbour, and later the Battleship USS Missouri moored at our Australian Naval Base, Garden Island Dockyard

The level of security for both occasions was could I suggest at a heightened level.........so 30 years onwards, I would expect the need for security be at a further heightened level ...so my question, how many Marines does a Brigade make?

Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2020, 11:11:21 am »

from t'internet a brigade is anything up to 5000 men comprising of several battalions, but it says that usually 35 to 55 are assigned to large warships so I would guess 55 for a carrier, 35 for the rest - but they only deploy from their bases which is where the brigade is stationed.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

old_gunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2020, 01:26:22 pm »

from t'internet a brigade is anything up to 5000 men comprising of several battalions, but it says that usually 35 to 55 are assigned to large warships so I would guess 55 for a carrier, 35 for the rest - but they only deploy from their bases which is where the brigade is stationed.
You are quite right, however for the Army, the problem with a Commando Brigade is the Royal marines only have about 7500 troops, so if we take the Commando Brigade on Op Corporate (The Falklands) it had added to the Brigade Battalions of the parachute regiment. This made the journey down on the Canberra quite interesting as there is a certain rivalry between the units.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2020, 05:03:28 pm »

Reported in today's Times (26 August) that the former HMS Hermes has been sold for scrap.

Colin

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2020, 10:27:42 am »

David not true, the bid to buy her was scuppered by the ministry of steel who once they found out she was going to be sold to the UK, went and sold her in defiance of the Indian government
We had been told in advance about the headlines and to ignore the mas they were mostly false.  The latest is she should have gone last week but the Government has halted it, talks are ongoing and she still could be saved but would have to remain in India but with the uK trust running her.  So for the moment she is still not on her last voyage and fingers crossed.

Bob
I will finish this model

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2020, 11:19:36 am »

Hmmm.....

I fear straws are being clutched here.   {:-{ {:-{   And the idea of a UK trust running a museum ship in India seems a little odd.  To put it mildly.

Greg

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2020, 12:12:48 pm »

David not true, the bid to buy her was scuppered by the ministry of steel who once they found out she was going to be sold to the UK, went and sold her in defiance of the Indian government
We had been told in advance about the headlines and to ignore the mas they were mostly false.  The latest is she should have gone last week but the Government has halted it, talks are ongoing and she still could be saved but would have to remain in India but with the uK trust running her.  So for the moment she is still not on her last voyage and fingers crossed.

Bob
That's just not going to fly (or should that be sail?!) is it? Run by a UK Trust but the ship stays in India? Only a very small hardcore of people would pay money for that.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2020, 01:03:55 pm »

Davie Tait,
Scotland

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2021, 11:43:18 am »

Well the sag continues,  Hermes has been reprieved, the high court found in the groups favour and scrapping has to stop.   Although the images of her look grim, the money is there to replace what has been cut, experts have examined the hull and conclude it is fit for towing to her new berth,  The important thing is the BIG money is there, as it was put when comments about her sate were raised, look at SS Great Britain and HMS Warrior both in far worse condition when rescued now look at them.  Only regret she is not coming home, but at least saved.

Bob
I will finish this model
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.