Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting extra electrics  (Read 2009 times)

Paul Aust

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Fitting extra electrics
« on: June 26, 2020, 09:52:20 pm »

I am building an raf fire tender, I would like to fit two stone siren and blue lights, wired into radio system any help?

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fitting extra electrics
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 05:18:35 pm »

Try Component Shop.

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 05:23:02 pm »

I am building an raf fire tender, I would like to fit two stone siren and blue lights, wired into radio system any help?

Been there, done that. I may well have the necessary bits laying about. Which mark are you building in which scale. I may well have some other leftover bits.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 05:45:17 pm »

Must be a fairly large fire tender if it can handle an extra two stone!
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

Paul Aust

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 05:50:51 pm »

Hi thanks for your Interest, just been given basic hull which is 36 inches, whatever that scale is. Got a few bits from slec, they gave been very helpful, I want to be able to switch two tone sound + blue lights from radio transmitter, I assume I will need some thing larger than 2 channels? I will also want to fit searchlamps, being a  novice any help would be appreciated, being a fire tender I would also like to fit operating fire hoses, am I being daft in thinking car windscreen washer motor could be used, again thank for your interest best regards Paul

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 06:07:05 pm »

Hi Paul sorry for my flippant comment earlier. To be more serious, I have a Robbe Police boat of the same length (but narrower in the beam) that used to have a siren and flashing lights, but the sign was inaudible on the water, and the lights invisible in daylight! As the model was rather top heavy, I removed everything above the waterline that wasn't essential, so off they came. I have actually bought the SLEC Crash Tender kit but haven't made a start yet.

I used a switcher from https://action-electronics.co.uk and used an extra channel on the radio to turn light and siren on or off.
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 06:10:49 pm »

Sorry, when you said RAF tender I assumed you meant a crash tender on wheels. Hence my asking what mark you were making.

Thing is those boats would never have had 'blues & twos', they were too early. Blues & twos didn't appear until around 63 on road vehicles, maybe even later on boats However it depends on how accurate you want to be.

As for the fire monitors they can be run with washer pumps but purpose made boat pumps will usually plug and play straight off the reciever. The washer pumps will need a separate R/C switch and they are heavy on current and not designed for continuous use.

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 10:12:16 pm »

I've been using a windscreen washer pump in mine for many many years without a problem. Whilst they aren't meant for continuous use, they're fine for the time needed to soak  whoever or whatever you aim at.. I made my own monitors from scrap brass, a pin from a 13 amp plug and some bits of brass tube. The trick is to solder 3 tubes inside each other so that the jet opening is just a pin hole, like a windscreen washer jet. I switch mine with a servo that has a microswitch on each side. Simple cheap reliable, but not the dedicated electronic gadget many prefer these days.
  I totally agree about avoiding the blues and two's, it would be very odd on the Vosper. I also like to put working lights on most models, but I only get to enjoy them once a year at our night sailing picnic. It's worth it just to enjoy that evening.
Chas
I forgot to say, if you need more detail, or a picture, just ask.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 10:31:45 pm »

Hi Chas sometimes the old ways of doing things are best. But like most things in life things move on. I for one now use more electronic items in my models and the lighting is all 2 mm LED. But cost has to be taken into account these days so the simple ways of doing things are still a practical option for some.

Stan.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 01:00:37 pm »

Further to out conversation i have enclosed the link to project 91. This high load twin switch will be ideal for your needs rated at 10 amps. Also the link to the build I spoke to you abut  https://action-electronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/P91.pdf

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,63493.175.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.