Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to place a fuse  (Read 1435 times)

howie55

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Where to place a fuse
« on: July 03, 2020, 10:08:39 am »

Hi I have removed the wiring from my schooner and it has never had a fuse in line can someone enlighten where it should go, have supplied my wiring diagram
Regards Geoff

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Where to place a fuse
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 10:34:26 am »

Between the battery & the switch (s/w) and in the live + red line

howie55

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 11:20:14 am »

Good morning Tug Fanatic
 Thank you for replying, I forgot to ask the size or value of the fuse I will need.
Regards Geoff

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 11:25:39 am »

It depends on how much current (amps) the motor prop combination is drawing. The basic answer is the smallest rated fuse that doesn't blow with normal use. - ie when there is no fault. As I know nothing about the model I can't be any more helpful.

PS I love the old school controller! The only problem with this is that when the motor switches on for a split second before it starts moving it is at full throttle and effectively stalled which is the highest current loading that the system will face. A modern proportional controller is essentially a soft start at a low throttle setting so won't have the same problem. A slow blow fuse might be a good idea.

howie55

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 12:01:37 pm »

Tug Fanatic
I am old school, what is a proportional controller, and how does it work ?
Geoff

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 02:01:29 pm »

Your controller, I think, is a pair of micro switches that are activated by the servo arm revolving. Your choice is thus no motor of full throttle in either direction with instant change from one to the other.

All modern controllers (esc's) are proportional and how much throttle you have is dependent on where the throttle stick is positioned. There are thus many many levels of throttle between stopped and full in either direction. For full control this is obviously preferable. Things have been like this for 40 years so what equipment are you using?

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 02:03:01 pm »

Tug Fanatic
I am old school, what is a proportional controller, and how does it work ?
Geoff
If you want a full explanation then send me your E-Mail address via a private message and I can send you a copy of an article.

If you simply want the basics then it's an electronic device which plugs into the receiver, exactly like a servo, and is operated via the throttle stick on the transmitter. This stick is usually spring-loaded in the centre. When you push the stick up towards the top of the Tx then the motor starts up slowly in forward mode. The motor speed is directly related to how far you move the stick i.e. it's proportional to the stick movement. At its extreme the motor runs at full speed when the stick is hard up against the stop. Reverse is the opposite - you pull the stick down towards the bottom of the Tx case.

The speed controller also has four thicker cable connections: two are to the battery positive and negative, and the other two are to the motor poles. With a brushless motor speed controller there are three motor connections. Many electronic speed controllers also have what is known as Battery Elimination Circuitry; this takes the power from the main motor battery and reduces the voltage down to power the receiver via the 3-wire lead and plug, so you can do away with a separate battery pack just for the receiver. I've attached a diagram which shows how it all fits together in a typical model.

I wouldn't recommend using an on-off switch for motor control these days, mainly for the reasons which Tug Fanatic has given.

Dave M

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 02:06:48 pm »

All modern Electronic Speed Controllers are proportional.  This means that the further you shove the stick, the faster the motor turns.  If you don't shove it very far, the motor turns more slowly.  It also means that you can decide what speed to actually go, and how fast you start. 
Looking at the microswitches used, there will not be a lot of current involved.  Any ESC will be able to handle the current, and will also be smaller and lighter.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

howie55

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 06:34:58 pm »

If you want a full explanation then send me your E-Mail address via a private message and I can send you a copy of an article.

If you simply want the basics then it's an electronic device which plugs into the receiver, exactly like a servo, and is operated via the throttle stick on the transmitter. This stick is usually spring-loaded in the centre. When you push the stick up towards the top of the Tx then the motor starts up slowly in forward mode. The motor speed is directly related to how far you move the stick i.e. it's proportional to the stick movement. At its extreme the motor runs at full speed when the stick is hard up against the stop. Reverse is the opposite - you pull the stick down towards the bottom of the Tx case.

The speed controller also has four thicker cable connections: two are to the battery positive and negative, and the other two are to the motor poles. With a brushless motor speed controller there are three motor connections. Many electronic speed controllers also have what is known as Battery Elimination Circuitry; this takes the power from the main motor battery and reduces the voltage down to power the receiver via the 3-wire lead and plug, so you can do away with a separate battery pack just for the receiver. I've attached a diagram which shows how it all fits together in a typical model.

I wouldn't recommend using an on-off switch for motor control these days, mainly for the reasons which Tug Fanatic has given.

Dave M
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.