Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very handy place for paint  (Read 1597 times)

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Very handy place for paint
« on: June 28, 2020, 08:40:18 pm »

https://www.hiroboy.com/home.html..........Been using this company for a few months now for airbrush paints and some tools site isnt the best BUT have a good look around it they come ready mixed and they can and will mix to yiour requirements a lot of the mayhemers are asking about chrome looking paint...this is the place to get it from....

Dave

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: Very handy place for paint
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 08:56:56 pm »

I can thoroughly agree with Dave on this company- I bought some paint from them recently for my 1/20 scale Lotus 72 F1 car that was painted in the traditional Lotus Red, White, and Gold and they are stunning to apply and the finish I’ve sneaked a peak beneath the masks looks amazing. Their range is amazing.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

RST

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 09:09:28 pm »

I've not seen that site for a while.  They do a few types of paints though.  Which ones are recommended?

From the site...
  • Tamiya acrylic (same as you can get from hobbycraft -they are fantastic for air brushing but difficult to brush)
  • Tamiya aerosols
  • Zero
  • Mr Colour (no experience but heard elsewhere they are good)
  • Lifecolour (no experience but heard elsewhere they are good)
  • Alclad
  • AK
...I'm all for trying something different but what exact range is being recommended please?  Is it just paint for airbrushing?

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 09:26:09 pm »

I have used Zero paints for the Lotus 72 I mentioned and they airbrush beautifully as do Life Colour, AK, and Alclad. The range of the fore mentioned paints are particularly good especially the Alclad metal range of which the chrome effect that Dave mentioned. Unlike the Tamiya range which as you say can be a pain to brush paint with the Zero and Alclad range is lacquer based whilst the AK and Lifecolour is acrylic and I have paint brushed these too.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

madboats

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 09:56:49 pm »

Hi all while on the subject of paint can anyone tell me what has happened to jap lac range of enamel paint i found this wonderful to apply by brush but find it at all :((                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Thanks in advance madboats

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 11:11:24 am »

Oh yes, I remember Japlac paints! Dad had a couple tins back in the eighties, always vibrant and lovely smelling.

It still sees to be available under the International Japlac name. It is available from B&Q as well as the usual online suspects

https://www.amazon.co.uk/INTERNATIONAL-JAPLAC-ENAMEL-ATLANTIC-ADVENTURE/dp/B004WJSB2O

A quick search online gives a list of options including stockists etc.

The cynic in me assumes they have taken all the good things out of it over the years, but hopefully it is still a good product.

I was looking for some small tins of that type of paint some years back and could only find that bloomin pastelly interior design nonsense  :((
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.