Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just getting back into models boats ...  (Read 3749 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Just getting back into models boats ...
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2020, 09:48:23 am »

The Ferrex (Aldi) one only seems to have a 3.2mm fitting. You'll need more than this if you're ever going to use it to drill anything finer OR get a jaw-chuck as per radiojoe!
Of course, I'm totally wrong in that there are 5 collets, not just 3.2 as in the next part of the ad :embarrassed:
Other than that, what you need depends on what you're building. Plastic or wood; large or small scale; kit or scratch. You will probably need to drill down to 1mm or even 0.5 so a normal drill is , to me at least, unworkable at that size so a Mini drill or Dremel type, going down to low revs, is fine. You'll possibly need to cut brass tube and thin profiles so a Dremel type with cutting disc at 17,000 revs works for me. You'll probably need to sand something off in a hull with all the framework in place. Again, Dremel type with a sanding drum or pad works.
I spend most of my time using a Stanley knife, Swann Morton scalpel with 10A blades, junior hacksaw, straightedge and small engineers square, engineers blocks, about 100 clamps, clothespegs, spring clamps, soldering irons with decent lead solder, blowtorches large and small, decent steel ruler, fretsaw and lastly, decent lighting and specs.
Basically, I reckon you won't know whats the most important until you miss it.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2020, 10:54:51 am »

Just been out for a ferrex 12v cordless rotary tool, all the bits are similar to those in a Dremel, even down to what looks like a .3 drill bit and the collet for it, would have been better if the box it comes in stands up, or had the hinge for the power lead inside the box as the plastic clear cover hinges at the side.

Just need to do some serious modelling - Oh, what, I am back to work on the 1st July - DOH!!!!
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2020, 12:54:15 pm »

Come on Warspite,  Two Whole weeks!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

CaptainJoshie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I’d rather be Boating
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2020, 07:59:55 pm »

Hi

I’ve manage to find one of these Ferrex tools today in ALDI  :D , well my wife actually, as ALDI only allow in one shopper at a time.

This is going to complement my 50+ year old Expro 12v mini rotary tool! Got it at a model engineers show, think it was at Wembly Exhibition Centre.

Does anyone know if you can put a Dremel chuck on it? Also anyone know if there is a horizontal holder which would fit?

For the price the accessories alone are worth it!

John.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2020, 12:41:03 am »

First casually of the ALDI / Ferrex drill today, snapped a finger ( ... claw ... jaw? ) off one of the collet chuck things.

All I was doing  was pulling one out of the case!
What king of metal can be snapped with a thumb nail?????   Bismuth ?!   >:-o

( I've ordered a 3rd party Dremel chuck off Amazon, see if that fits...)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2020, 09:17:11 am »

It should fit Martin, and the chuck grips drills smaller than a pin.

Joe

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2020, 11:17:21 am »

First casually of the ALDI / Ferrex drill today, snapped a finger ( ... claw ... jaw? ) off one of the collet chuck things.

I've just ordered a 'Dremel' chuck from Amazon too. At a couple of quid if it doesn't fit I've lost nothing.
I hope it will fit the Voche drill I've just bought from Ebay.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2020, 07:30:43 am »

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2020, 08:18:23 am »

I've just ordered a 'Dremel' chuck from Amazon too. At a couple of quid if it doesn't fit I've lost nothing.
I hope it will fit the Voche drill I've just bought from Ebay.

I think I have waste my money buying a chuck for my Voche drill. I have also wasted the £17.99 buying the drill itself.
I tried it for the first time over the weekend, it is USELESS. It stalls drilling a 1.5mm hole in 1/16th ply. I tried sanding and cutting too, no chance. I can stall it with a sanding disc on with my fingers, I wouldn't normally try that trick, but with this one, easy. They don't say how many Watts it is, but it ain't many, the motor wouldn't run a small boat.

So a word to the wise boys & girls do not waste your money buying a Voche cordless mini-drill kit. Buy something decent.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2020, 11:13:59 am »

I think I have waste my money buying a chuck for my Voche drill. I have also wasted the £17.99 buying the drill itself.
I tried it for the first time over the weekend, it is USELESS. It stalls drilling a 1.5mm hole in 1/16th ply. I tried sanding and cutting too, no chance. I can stall it with a sanding disc on with my fingers, I wouldn't normally try that trick, but with this one, easy. They don't say how many Watts it is, but it ain't many, the motor wouldn't run a small boat.
So a word to the wise boys & girls do not waste your money buying a Voche cordless mini-drill kit. Buy something decent.

I got one of those too, great for very small jobs!   :-))
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.