Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sad Sorry state of affairs.  (Read 2910 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Sad Sorry state of affairs.
« on: June 29, 2020, 05:04:36 pm »

Here is what I have found in the loft during a relocation of some Formica to a party wall (it’s stood off by about 150mm and forms a clean hanging surface from floor to ceiling, effectively hiding the brickwork).

The first is an LCMIII that is basically scrap now, built when a child (wot ya mean I aint grown up yet). It has a couple of bits that are salvageable, like the rear cab, ladders, crewman – but not much else, so will probably end up in the spares box.

Next is a 1/24th scale Ertl trailer (I think – still have the building instructions as well as most others), just wondered what people think it could be stripped down to and used for, obviously the tyres for fenders, I think there is 12 + a spare, the chassis would only be suitable say for a heavy duty crane, but the body sealed may be useful – any thoughts?

Next is a forlorn looking Ertl International Transtar Eagle 4300, the front axle is broke as was its brothers (but that’s fixed now and needs a clean up), one of it’s rear axle wheel combo’s come off, as has stacks and other parts, which are about to fall off, including the rear box (never really liked the box).

My childhood Joe 90 car, the wings are still in, but the tail bits went ages ago.

And the final two Trailers, I think the  box trailer is a Great Dane, in the photo it is upside down with the tanker tube sat on the wheels, other than the side door having come off it’s in reasonable condition really, a respray and it would probably be ok, the tankers bogie set is in a box with the police cars of the same scale, not really much use, so again any useful ideas what to do with the trailers.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sad Sorry state of affairs.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 05:16:34 pm »

I still have a couple of boxes to go - where there is an Airfix space 1999, two Star Wars AT AT's, a colonial viper and raider from Battlestar, should also be the base star and galactica her self (the original series), the Star wars Star destroyer is already out and sat atop of the new shelving.

Moved some Ali Cases today 1 with two Practica Film SLR's.

1 With N Gauge railway rolling stock and a smaller one with the track points in.

Another case on the shelf only has a dvd in it so it useable for something else as is another two empty cases sat elsewhere.

In all this I am keeping my eye out for a greek translation book, but it was not in the steel box I built as an apprentice (1981), just some tools we also made, callipers, depth gauges and die tap handles (large and small), the continuity tester and the workshop manuals we had. Funniest thing is, I picked up a key sat on top of some plastic boxes and it unlocked the padlock on the steel box, just shows how often I throw things away.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 09:01:04 pm »

Hi Warspite, could you measure and take a snap or two of that upside down red trailer in photo 3 I think please?

They were used to haul goods through Vietnam in the sixties and early seventies towed by M54 Military trucks along with conventional GS trucks and tankers etc. I haver a range of 1:72nd Gun trucks and was thinking of adding some haulage targets for the VC.
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 09:23:16 am »

They are 1/24th scale so in the region of 24 inch long as a guess but will measure and photo the trailer, when bought they were for attaching to the International transtars on a shelf for display (like mentioned earlier in my teens), so the box trailer was painted red, the kit suggested a look of appliance white on the build instructions if my memory serves me right, and I put lettra set on.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 11:05:44 am »

The ones in 'Nam' all look unpainted in a natural aluminium state. Thanks for your help  :D
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 12:54:14 pm »

Well they are 1/25th scale - DOH,

Here is the box trailer Booklet and Views of the kit - to repair, it needs new pins on the side door, easily done, though I think removing the letters and respraying white would be better, I think I even have the original transfers for the sides.

It even shows what it would look like on a 4300.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 12:59:36 pm »

This is the International Transtar Eagle II, axle repaired, the wheels always splayed out - the hole the pin fit into (as they advertised the wheels rotated) was always a little slack or the pin didn't spring back out enough to be tight enough.

Always liked this truck, got giddy in 1982 when saw them on the roads in Florida.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 01:07:07 pm »

This is the 4300, shown in the box trailer booklet and above looking forlorn, the picture also shows the 'MACK' I had, which hasn't survived, never liked it as it didn't look as good in the movie, the cab was more drivers side so looked odd, also the Kenworth I had also didn't survive, neither did it's booklet, nor did the Great Dame extending flatbed.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 01:10:47 pm »

Next is the gravel trailer, attached to the Eagle II, on reflection it isn't that bad, still could repair and respray, though making them display worthy would be a bind.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 01:14:39 pm »

I even found my Flower class corvette assembly instructions and the S boats and a whole host of Tamiya half tracks, jeeps and German armoured car booklets, the models are in the other boxes with Seakings and harriers oh and a walrus.

Whilst doing the photo's I moved a box to get a brush out and the joe 90 car along with variuos other bits (and the star destroyer) went flying, only the SW destroyer was damaged as far as I know and was repaired quickly.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 08:52:13 pm »

A treasure trove indeed! Ta for the images of that trailer. They should be useful. Regarding your truck models needing loads of work, do like Ken has done and make them look old and work worn.

Keep on truckin'  :}
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 04:05:38 pm »

Whilst repositioning the worktop, I came across the items in two very large plastic bags, both contained photocopy boxes 4 in one and two and several other boxes in the other, I would assume every one has the coles crane, not sure about the field gun and for the life of me I don't know why anyone would buy the matchbox yesteryear car for a child (about 11 when I got it), an unusual find was the airfix game, the jet suffered wheel breakages and the cardboard decks warped as you would expect - cost £1.75 circ 1970's.

Low and behold in one box I found the Mack and Peterbuilt trucks, with items underneath that I have yet to investigate, the 1/35 tamiya vehicles and 1/72 tanks from UK, US and Axis.

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 08:29:49 pm »

The "Flight Deck" reminds me of the Xmas  I bought my nephew one .We spent hours setting it up when suddenly the family Basset Hound came bounding into the room and entangled itself in all the bits of fishing line and cardboard accessories... high tech stuff at the time ! <:(

Grumpy Dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 10:15:17 pm »

Like the day my teenage son, now 50, spent hours programming a ZX80. Just as he finished the dog walked in, and pulled the power lead out! That was the last time he played with a computer! It was a while before he played with the dog too. He was beyond cross!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 11:14:01 pm »

Unfortunately dogs and Christmas floor based shenanigans are a sure fire disaster waiting to happen.
Pond weed is your enemy

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2020, 04:58:03 pm »

When I was a teenager, our dog ate a whole calfskin rug, apart from a small bit of leg. It looked like it's stomach was going to explode. It was maybe just after the salty taste?

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2020, 07:19:59 pm »

Due to a house move, number 1 son is using our number 1 garage to store furniture and other items until they take possession of new property. When they do this in about 8 weeks, Im committed to going in the loft and getting boxes of my buses memorabillia, boxed dinkys, corgis, other toys and games, sorting them into lots and selling them off.
I'll only keep the pristine, boxed dinky, corgi and lesney toys.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2020, 11:38:49 am »

Due to being a little depressed with being furloughed another month  >>:-( , I can't be bothered putting the tools away back in the loft / workshop, but when I do, I will try and photograph the other trucks.

After reorganizing it, the space is better, but it still seems cluttered, building the tool shelf might inspire me to spend more time up there, especially if I get the electrician to wire up the power sockets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 23 queries.