Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: newbie  (Read 1268 times)

steve62

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« on: June 30, 2020, 07:33:09 pm »

Hi, thanks for allowing me to join.
I`m new to R/C models and having just upgraded the electronics on an old bait boat I must admit to being hooked.
I was recently given another bait boat by a "friend", its an old angling technics procat that was in need of more than a little TLC,
I got it to work without much effort, cleaned it up and took it to one of my angling clubs ponds to try it out, to say that my troubles started then would be an understatement! 5yards out I lost all control that became worse after a clattering sound was heard from the boat, long story short I got it back half flooded a missing a prop.
I am now in the process of repairing the hull (nearly done) having removed all the electronics.
Ive read a few post and see that other members are playing with the procat so I may well be bending some ears for info.
again, thanks for the join.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: newb
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 08:38:57 pm »

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum.

You did a wise thing and had a look around and a search for specific topics and already have enriched your knowledge of the subject.

Sometimes you just have to suck it and see. Most lakes used by model boat cubs will have a bottom festooned with props from years of accidents, so don't fret. It is a shame that brass and plastic are not magnetic as you could recover them.

Pond weed is your enemy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 07:28:14 am »

Hey Steve,

Bait boats are often plagued with problems, usually because user want them to go where most model boaters don't!

Can you post a few photos of your boat?   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 09:39:26 am »

The flooding could be one or more of many things.
The clatter and a lost prop is the result of not locking either the prop to the shaft or the shaft to the motor coupler.  Motor turns, prop doesn't want to, unscrews itself.  Lots of threads on here about that.  Screw-on props need a locknut to lock the prop to the shaft, the coupler, if it is a threaded type, needs to be locked as well.  Using a thread locking compound also helps.
Loss of control is probably a radio problem, but without knowing what type is involved makes the guesswork very random.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.