Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Endeavour UK Challenger 1934  (Read 11769 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Endeavour UK Challenger 1934
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2020, 10:31:45 am »

Hi Dennis, I have to say I do not envy you, it took me months to make this kit.  I cheated and used an aluminium extruded mast to take the luff of the main sail.  How will you be attaching the main to the mast?  I don't think mast rings/hoops  are right so curious, when I tried to find out about the construction of the mast but there was nothing specific mentioned anywhere.

Have you checked that the pre-cut deck is still a good fit on the planked deck?  With my sailing version and extra thickness of the planking I had to make a new deck but did it with a 1mm thick ply.  However it does have an exaggerated affect on the highly pointed bow.
regards
Roy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2020, 07:16:42 pm »

Thank you Roy, yes... sail attachment to mast and boom still pose questions in my mind.  I can see how they did it on the boom, but do question the attachment using brass rings that are split and slip into short tubes in the mast at evenly spaced locations on the mast.  How would they have lowered and raised the mast using something like that.  All of my sailing experience has been with sail tracks, slotted channels in both mast and boom for the sail to slip into.  Back in 1934... I can't seem to find a good example of how they actually did it.  Since my model will be static for display, I am just going to trust the kit designers and follow the plan, although it will be hugely difficult to do the attachment to the boom per plan (split "O" rings attached to "I" beams that run "abeam" on the boom).  I'm reasonably certain that they did not use mast hoops for the main. They had to have used some kind of slotted method which could have been rings that had a slug attached that slid inside a slot on the mast.  I can mimic the slot and just go ahead with the rings that are split with legs that are inserted into sleeved holes in the mast... that means the sail will not slide up or down and this will pose some problems in avoiding wrinkles in the sail... I know I'm rambling here.. sri... just thoughts going through my head.  I have lots of time to get this worked out.. thanks again for your ideas and help.  Regards,  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2020, 07:22:30 pm »

Oops, I missed your question on the deck.  I deviated from the plan sequence and went ahead and attached the deck before planking began... the deck is actually nailed down with small flathead nails.  As I glued the first layer of sub planking down around the deck perimeter, this sealed the deck down around the perimeter nicely.  Amazingly, the deck fit near perfect, I only had to fair minimally before planking started.  The second layer of mahogany planks will again, start at the deck level, when planking is completed, the cap rail will be glued down over the top of the hull planks to finish.  Did that make sense?  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2020, 09:47:37 pm »

Hull sub-planking is slowly progressing on Port side.  Same with mast, mounting spreaders and numerous eyelets.  Kit uses brass sleeves that brass clovis pins are inserted to form eyelets.  Tedious, but coming along.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2020, 09:48:09 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2020, 06:19:51 am »

Ok, finally... the first layer of hull planking is on and faired.  Next will be a thin layer of mahogany planking to finish hull. Another long process.  Planks will be laid in a more realistic ship fashion with various lengths, etc.  Trust all is well with you folks.  A difficult time across the U.S.A..... frankly, I have never seen anything like it in my home country.   Doing alot of praying.  Best regards, Dennis

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2020, 11:08:29 am »

Looking sweet Dennis.  There is something immensely satisfying about planking a hull and seeing that lovely form appearing out of nowhere.   :-)) :-))   (And given the apparent competence of those in charge in both our countries, I think praying is a very good idea!  {:-{ )

Greg

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2020, 01:41:37 pm »

Thank you Greg, I agree... there is something calming about laying planks on beautiful lines.  Praying is about Trust, Faith and outcome, Tks again Greg.  Dennis

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2020, 03:00:31 pm »

Hi I found the planking supplied in the kit was excellent and as you say a pleasure to do.
Roy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2020, 11:56:03 pm »

Roy,   Limewood for sub planking is very good quality.  The mahogany planks seem a bit rough on edges, but I feel will still be fine as light sanding will fair any rough edges as I go.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2020, 12:55:25 am »

Second and last layer of mahogany planking has been started on Port side of hull.  I really like this phase, very calming.  Using fast glue to adhere thin planks.  Cutting at irregular lengths.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2020, 09:58:23 pm »

Some more mahogany planking.  D.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2020, 10:44:51 pm »

slowly getting there.   Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2020, 10:45:18 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2020, 10:42:12 pm »

Ok folks, final planking is on the hull.  Light finish sanding and then sealer.  Need to mark the waterline and then white strip will either be tape or paint, then hull painting before I start the deck planking.  She has nice lines in my books.  She must have been a graceful beast out on the water.  Cheers, Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2020, 10:43:02 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2020, 10:43:35 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2020, 11:23:50 pm »

Ok, getting the subdeck ready for planking.  I removed the nails that were driven in to hold the deck in position.  Drilled out the holes and tapped and glued in round toothpicks, then sanded flush, locking the subdeck in for eternity.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2020, 11:24:20 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2020, 10:36:48 pm »

Gunnel trim (mahogany) installed and deck planking started (basswood 3x1mm, various lengths) has been started.  Slow, steady as she goes.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2020, 10:37:19 pm »

more.

ericjansen

• Full Mayhemer
  • Rock the boat ...
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2020, 06:54:03 am »

Nice work you are doing there, my compliments.

Not sure how detailed you will go on the standing and running rigging, but Endeavour I had a more complicated rigging than presented in this kit.
At the time of her re-fit for Elisabeth Meijer at the Royal Huisman Shipyard, I worked at Lewmar, and we did all hydraulics, including the winches, powerpacks, etc.
I still have some drawings of Gerard Dijkstra, the naval architect responsible, mainly of the re-fit, but some going back to the original.
I also built a 1:25 Endeavour II in her original, 1937 racing layout, with each and every line where it belonged.
Ask if needed.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2020, 05:15:05 pm »

She'll be a super graceful beast in your house that's for sure! I like the planking Dennis, very handsome.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2020, 07:51:33 pm »

Beautiful model, is inspiring me.  I like the look of the below waterline being red...   I am considering leaving mine "bright" to show off the planking that I worked so hard to do.  I'm trusting the kit plans to give me proper 1934 rigging details.  the hull lines are so striking that I am certain she will make a great static display piece between my living and family rooms.  I have vaulted ceilings, so I can handle the tall rig on the model.  She will be mounted on a 4ft short wall that divides the two rooms.  My dear wife has offered to make the sails for me. Although, the model is beautiful even without sails.  Have to think about it.

Ok, I have finished laying the STBD half of the deck planking, now on to Port.  A very slow process.  What with the shut-in requirements due to Covid, gives me something to do.

Be well,  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2020, 07:52:09 pm »

more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.