Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Endeavour UK Challenger 1934  (Read 11767 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: Endeavour UK Challenger 1934
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2020, 10:50:05 pm »

I admire your planking- I know how much effort goes into recreating this very prominent feature on a yacht of this type. Keep up the excellent work :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2020, 02:04:52 am »

Deck planking is done and varnish on.  I placed the completed deckhouse in its location as a preview.  I'm working on all deck structures at this time.  Getting ready to strike waterline and start hull painting.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2020, 02:05:25 am »

more.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2020, 04:05:38 pm »

Coming along very nicely - keep up the good work

Cheers

Geoff

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2020, 08:00:48 pm »

Well folks, the hull is finally painted.  After much thought, I decided to leave the hull below the waterline "bright", in order to show off the mahogany planking, instead of covering it up with red paint.  I like the contrast.  Really accentuates the beautiful hull lines of this magnificant yacht.  Wish all a very Merry Christmas.  It will be a quiet one for us, snow is on the ground and we are warm and cozy.  God Bless, Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2020, 08:01:19 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2020, 08:01:52 pm »

more.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2020, 08:31:26 pm »

Thats one of those hulls that looks fast whilst stationary - what a lovely job you've done and happy Xmas to you!

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2021, 07:01:58 am »

Deck fittings going on now.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2021, 07:02:40 am »

more

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2021, 08:59:16 pm »

Ok, the hull and deck are complete now.  Next, will be making the sails. My dear wife has offered to do the sewing, which will require a ton of seam line detail.  The material provided in the kit seems to be a type of thin nylon.  Plans state that I need to soak the material in a solution of water and white glue. Then, air dry and finally, ironing smooth before cutting and sewing is done.  I'm guessing that the glue adds a sizing to the material.  Sails are huge, finding a spot in our home where we can lay the fabric out over the plans to transfer the sail lines will be a challenge.  Thinking ahead to rigging is blowing my mind.  I want to rig such that I can unclip the standing rigging in order to collapse the rig so that I can transport the model if I need to.  Things to think and ponder a solution is driving me a little nuts.  Its been an interesting project.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2021, 08:59:49 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2021, 09:00:24 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2021, 09:01:08 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2021, 09:01:45 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2021, 09:02:25 pm »

more.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2021, 10:36:28 pm »

Hi Dennis I have sent you a short PM.
Roy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2021, 07:37:50 am »

Got it Roy and thankyou.  Had already considered that.  A very good point.   Best regards,  Dennis

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2021, 11:54:49 am »

There is a book called Enterprise to Endeavour by Ian Dear and whilst long out of print its readily available for about £15. Its all about the J class. On page 16 there is a shot of Westward which clearly shows mast rings for the sail attachment but can't figure out how they would pass the mast spreaders. Other shots show Enterprises duralinium mast and its clear no mast rings so it must have been a track, some of the boom shots suggest this is so as well.

Nice book but more general rather than technical in nature

Nice buikld

Cheers

Geoff

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2021, 11:10:59 pm »

Ok folks, I'm having a real stupid moment in my old brain.  My kit instructions say to "size" my sail material with a solution of 70% water and 30% white glue.  I'm estimating that it will take me a cup of liquid to brush on to the sail cloth.  For one cup of liquid, how much glue should I add to make 30% of glue required?  Does this make sense?  Help!!   Thankyou.... humbly, Dennis

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2021, 11:14:18 pm »

Hi Dennis I am sure glue woud be OK but I would start with a spray on starch, easy to get, your wife will know where!  Then iron the sail and it comes out quite stiff.
Roy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2021, 07:36:22 am »

Tks Roy, I didn't even think of something like that.  Should work.   :-))  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2021, 07:22:24 am »

Just a side question.  I have been very prolific with my model making, six of them are in cases, most are WW2 U.S. Navy vessels.  I'm not getting any younger and my kids don't really have the room or would want them.  Selling them is a real challenge and I could try to do that, but am open to suggestions of what to do with them.   Thankyou,  Dennis

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2021, 08:27:13 am »

Hi, if these are non-working models you will probably have the same situation we have in the UK.  Basically no-one wants them.  Also kit models are often a compromise between manufacturer and original prototype.

Museums are getting strict here about construction materials and then there is repair.  Such people are getting rare and consequently expensive and models made from kits are I suspect not favoured.

I turned an ornamental kit model into a working one wirhin the last 12 months and there are clear issues regarding glue joints,  What might tack together an ornamental model is not going to last as long as a working one with more substantial construction.  Which has implications on length of life.

I was in Australia a few years ago passing through a seaside holiday resort on a hot day and stopped at an ice cream Parlour.  They had this lovely pond yacht in the window that needed an hour's expert TLC to restore the rigging but much as I would have liked to stop and do the job, we had to move on.  There comes a point when such a model becomes an eyesore and is then dumped.

We modellers over 90% of the time are loners in our families and much as the skills are admired the product is not sought after.  Sorry Dennis as a club Secretary I have been part of many disposals of late members models.  The family are very proud of the modelling and engineering expertise but beyond being a talking point are not interested.

My best advice is to do what one of our members did about 7 years ago.  He was told he had terminal cancer and I have to say he was a lovely man incredibly bright and full of ideas.   His ability to create small working steam engines was a joy to see.  In the last month of his life he went around to his many friends and gave everything away also telling them how everything worked and instructions on how to look after them.

For me it had echos of the phrase " That which is given willingly is twice given".  He asked me to resolve any issues after he was gone, but there were none.  He gave me two books for my trouble which I still dip into.  It all turned out to be a pleasurable way to know that someone will appreciate your work after you have gone.

So I suggest you find out now if anyone looks at your models and likes them then act accordingly when you see fit.  I think you will get more pleasure giving them away than selling them!
Regards
Roy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2021, 07:11:12 pm »

Thankyou Roy, very good advice, of which, I have already started "gifting" my models as those doors open.   Best regards,  Dennis
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.