Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: which yacht from plan  (Read 6089 times)

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
which yacht from plan
« on: July 06, 2020, 08:17:08 pm »

Hi all

I am looking at building a yacht from a plan. Never built from a plan and I would say I am a average in the skill department. Ideally I would love to build a Thames Barge or Schooner or similar craft, however theirs no way I am skilled enough to build anything as complicated on my first attempt. With this in mind can anyone recommend a first build, something not two small, fairly realistic that would look good on display. I am currently building the aeronaut classic and have previously built the Mowe 2 fishing boat. But there's just something about sail.

Thank you in advance.

Carl

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
Re: which yacht from plan
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 09:17:09 pm »

Look on-line for a book call a Swallow yacht  shows you how to build in in stages and should have the plan in the end cover be a nice first build.
            Regards Howard.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 02:42:31 am »

Have a look at Sarik plans website https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/wee-nip/. The Wee-nip you can buy plan only, or you can also buy the wood pack and an instructions video if you wish.
Some other plans also offer a wood pack, like this one https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/nimbus-mk3-2/
Buying a wood pack or precut parts will give you both confidence to start and skill building as you go along.
Just my 2c.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 09:45:46 am »

Hi glad to have you join the sailing fraternity.  Are you thinking of the method of construction?  There are various options sheet ply on frames, plank on frames or bulkheads, bread and butter and it is unlikely you want to carve from the solid!

What access do you have to materials?  Having said that only use the best quality ones wood especially I am sure you are aware that ply comes in a lot of grades as well.  The easiest is probably plank on frame but has to be done correctly if you wish to sail the model in water.
The sailing boats you mention are not difficult it is the level of scale fittings that might deter.  The Thames barge is frequently built bread and butter, Schooners P on F.

The sails are not quick things run up on a sewing machine although I have a glue method that is passing the test of time.
The Sarik plan list is the best to go to as it comprises the old Model Boats magazine and the Marine Modelling International plans and a few others.  There is an enormous choice and it is all on-line.

I suggest you choose everything that takes your fancy and make a list.  Pass it on to the forum and there are those of us here that can help with your choice and may have built one already.

I suggest you think in terms of what size yacht or sailing boat you want.  As it is best to be able to buy the plans at the size you want.
Make sure you come back to us also have a think about your own woodwork capacity is it kitchen table or do you have a workshop and wood working tools?
All the best
Roy

GarthT

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 04:09:52 pm »

Have you looked at the Bearospace plans?  There are two schooners and a sloop, not scale models but very attractive traditional boats that sail really well.  I've built the sloop and I'm very pleased with it.  The plans and instructions are easy to follow and there are a few on-line videos too.

Plenty of people have built these as their first model.

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 12:28:22 pm »

Thanks all for your replys,

Howard - can't seem to find anything on this book, do you know the author.

tigertiger - not keen on the look of the Wee-nip, but does seem a good place to start, Sarik seems to have a lot on offer.

Roy - fancy plank on frame method. Access to materials is going to be one of my first questions once I decide what I am doing and I do like the look of the Thames barge. I do have a work bench, an old pallet with a wood chip top in my outside shed set at waist height, plus a indoor work table dedicated to my model building, mainly 1/24th scale truck building, not really got any quality wood working tools, will purchase what I require, obviously with in reasonable cost, so this may have a bearing on what I build.

garth - as if the choice isn't overwhelming enough, you go and throw these in, all 3 look fantastic and have good reviews.

really appreciate all your reply's, so far this is my list -

Bearospace - both schooners and sloop.
sarik - Nimbus MK3
           6T6
           Ardent
          Wild Duck
          Veronica

and still looking for any info on the swallow.

The choice when you start looking is never ending, so going to stick to this list and see what replies I get.

Thank you
Carl.

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 12:58:10 pm »

Hi all

forgot to add, Thames barge in the running as well.

Carl

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 02:19:58 am »

Carl.......have you viewed this Facebook Site for Thames Barges? ... very interesting especially the history Thames Sailing Barges

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Terry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 08:20:00 am »

There is a book plus plan for building a yacht called " Racing Sparrow". I have built one, makes a nice sailing boat, and relatively easy to construct.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/racingsparrow/racing-sparrow-model-yachts-topics-f3.html
Cheers, Terry

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 02:17:12 pm »

Hi Carl,
 so sorry I got it wrong as another member has said it the sparrow yacht book is 12 nz dollers I think look on amazon or flea bay
                      Regards Howard.

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 02:11:50 pm »

Hi Howard thanks buddy,
looked on amazon, £50 second hand and £70 for a new one, keeps this in the running.
I have eliminated both schooners from bearospace, purely on they are two large dimension wise, and the 6T6 and Ardent, rest still in the running at this point. On duty tonight and tomorrow night so will probably have another look next week.

Cheers
Carl

GarthT

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 03:35:53 pm »

You shouldn't be paying that kind of money for the racing sparrow book and plans.  It's 12 NZ$ from racingsparrow.co.nz.  I bought it before deciding to build the Bearospace sloop.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 03:59:39 pm »

I like the Bearospace models which appear to be very easy to build as they are made from so few parts. Read the very popular build threads to see what I mean. If my pond didn't have a weed problem I would build one.

Bearospace:
http://www.bearospaceindustries.com/boats2.html

The very enthusiastic build threads are here:

The Schooner Annie
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3294855-Bearospace-Schooner-Annie

The Sloop Emma
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2990671-Bearospace-Sloop-EMMA&perpage=50

The Trading Schooner Irene
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2550991-Bearospace-schooner-Irene&perpage=50

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 04:02:30 pm »

I totally agree but they are quite large and have previously been ruled out by the member in the original post.

Have you seen the time lapse of the bears building the skiff?
regards
Roy

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 04:18:05 pm »

Hello Carl,
 I payed less then £10 for mine about to years ago and that was on Amazon uk sold to a member of Goole model boat club try flea bay or even ask Goole mode boat club if they can ask the member if he is finished with it
                Regards Howard.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2020, 04:35:07 pm »

I totally agree but they are quite large and have previously been ruled out by the member in the original post.

Have you seen the time lapse of the bears building the skiff?
regards
Roy

I hear what you are saying but Emma is not that large & just looks beautiful. The topsail in the video on the website ramps it up even higher.

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 01:43:47 pm »

Hi all

now narrowed to down to 2, Veronica and racing sparrow, bearospace's sloop was very close to be included, the only thing that put me off, it's  flat deck with no cockpit (hope that's the right terminology), think I will present these to the one who must be obeyed, and see which she like the most.

Thanks for everyone's input, it is appreciated.

Carl

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2020, 02:06:12 pm »

One of the advantages of building from a plan is that you can make changes to get exactly what you want. Putting a cockpit in a model where the plan didn't have one would not put me off.

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 02:34:35 pm »

One of the advantages of building from a plan is that you can make changes to get exactly what you want. Putting a cockpit in a model where the plan didn't have one would not put me off.

looks like its now 3 in the running, or is just which one am I building first.

Thanks
Carl

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 07:36:27 pm »

Hi all

thank you everyone for your input, after consulting the one who must be obeyed, I am going for bearospace's sloop Emma. Realistically looking at starting towards the end of August, so will be looking for build threads and YouTube on the subject before I start, and once started I will be on here asking lots of questions as I have never done any thing like this.

Cheers
Carl

GarthT

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2020, 08:04:42 pm »

Good choice! (at least in  my opinion).  I'm sure you've found the dedicated forum on RCboats.com.  Many of your questions will be answered there and folk are very helpful.  Good luck with the build.  We're hoping for a UK Emma get-together at some point.
Garth

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2020, 08:14:56 pm »

Great.
It is well worth reading all 3 of the RCGroups builds that I lined to above. Irene was the first of the Bearospace models, I think, and much of the wisdom for the later models was developed in the first build.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.