Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: bristol pairs  (Read 7266 times)

thedevil

Re: bristol pairs
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 10:29:12 pm »

yeah the devil was to offensive and toy boater was a bit lame so i put my proper name

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2007, 11:00:39 pm »

Well better the devil you know Ben  {-).

omra85

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 11:20:47 pm »

Hi Ben
Thanks to our cheeky mate Dicky  :P  I've just found out you can't add your name to your profile so I've tried sticking mine in as 'custom title' - see what it looks like  ???

Simon
After all the tips I gave!!  Hope you didn't miss third place by those 7 laps  :o
Well done anyway.

Radio boxes are born to leak - they'd get water in them in the middle of a desert, in summer, on the hottest day!
Balloon the rec and batts, stuff the rest with kitchen roll, silicon the lid down, then watch the bl**dy stuff find a way in ::) ::)

Danny

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2007, 02:23:50 am »

Hi Ben
Thanks to our cheeky mate Dicky  :P  I've just found out you can't add your name to your profile so I've tried sticking mine in as 'custom title' - see what it looks like  ???

Simon
After all the tips I gave!!  Hope you didn't miss third place by those 7 laps  :o
Well done anyway.

Radio boxes are born to leak - they'd get water in them in the middle of a desert, in summer, on the hottest day!
Balloon the rec and batts, stuff the rest with kitchen roll, silicon the lid down, then watch the bl**dy stuff find a way in ::) ::)

Danny

Hmm, you are not wrong about the wet stuff and radio boxes. Last outing was a 35 quid servo down the pan. But, the box has since passed the half hour at the bottom of the bath test so we shall see what happens next time out.

Failing that, I'm going to build an FSRV style compartment into the boat, and put the radio box into it!!

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 09:43:37 am »

why worry about radio boxes leaking? just get some corrosion x or similar stuff they use on bike electrics its 100% water proof and will protect all your electrics with a cpl of squirts to the innards of your servos and rx battery connectors plugs switches whatever?.it even works in salt water  ;) dont believe me try it  O0.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACF50-ANTI-CORROSION-RUST-SPRAY-ACF-50-HONDA-YAMAHA-BMW_W0QQitemZ110176696572QQihZ001QQcategoryZ25644QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thedevil

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2007, 08:28:18 pm »

On behalf of Bernard,a very sincere thank you to everyone who went to the Bristol Pairs and raced and thank you for an excellent days racing. Hope to see you all again next year.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2007, 11:41:30 pm »

why worry about radio boxes leaking? just get some corrosion x or similar stuff they use on bike electrics its 100% water proof and will protect all your electrics with a cpl of squirts to the innards of your servos and rx battery connectors plugs switches whatever?.it even works in salt water  ;) dont believe me try it  O0.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACF50-ANTI-CORROSION-RUST-SPRAY-ACF-50-HONDA-YAMAHA-BMW_W0QQitemZ110176696572QQihZ001QQcategoryZ25644QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Call me old fashioned, and cynical if you liek, the wife does, but I still (from experience) believe the best protection for the electrics to be to keep them dry, my last 35 quid servo bought it big style with only a smidge (1/8") of water in the radio box. When we removed the top of the radio box, there was actually white smoke coming from the circuit board of the servo.
I am thankful really that my 40 quid receiver and 2.6 amp battery survived to tell the tale.

Ironically the 3 quid throttle servo is fine.

This was in fresh (ish) water. No salt.

And the electrics had been sprayed with corrosion X.

Guess it got washed away. Never mind.

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2007, 09:37:40 am »

I ve had my electrics dunked on a sailboat in salt and they still work  O0 maybe i was lucky  ::) doubt it though im not usually  ;).mind you i still use a radio box no harm in double insurance  {-).

ids987

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2007, 12:55:54 pm »

I'm also in favour of keeping water out as far as humanly possible (from the radio that is). I'm sure sprays like these will help to deal with whatever water still gets in, but you have to consider the places water will go (everywhere !), that the spray won't. Whilst you can probably deal fairly effectively with the underside of a P.C.B, you have to consider the component side as well, the spaces under low fitting components, the fact that the portion of the component lead facing the underside probably won't get sprayed etc. Some components (eg IF transformers), have screening cans, so water can get inside. In the case of servos, you also have electromechanical components to consider. It only takes a single drop of water to stop a receiver or a servo (or a failsafe) from working - depending where it goes. Again depending where it goes, it may be temporary, or permanent.
I, personally, favour using a separate failsafe (preferably fully sealed, and preferably directly fed through a 'Y' cable from the battery/switch harness), over a Rx with built in failsafe functionality (if it gets wet, the failsafe functionality will quite likely disappear with the receiver functionality).
Just my thoughts, opinions, and preferences...

Ian

ids987

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2007, 01:05:11 pm »

Also glad to hear they all rallied round for Ian
Danny,

Even through the embarassment etc; having been to a few meetings, I didn't have much doubt that I would get help - once the laughter had died out. There's definitely no shortage of good eggs. I'd never want to take it for granted though.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2007, 01:45:30 pm »

The trick is to strip the rx down and spray it  all down inside ,totally soak it over a container ,any run off can be used to dip the innards of your servos rx plugs switches etc,then you let them dry out.so basically your dipping your electronics into the liquid rather than just spraying them.some of these sprays are used on electrics in ships boats etc and on boats that have been sunk for days and refloated the electrics were found to still be working so it must be good stuff if done right.thats asuming you believe the storys,as for failsafes i use a fully water proof one  O0 cost me 8 quid  from mtronik
;D.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.