Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: B16 (MT2) pillar drill chuck removal  (Read 4440 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: B16 (MT2) pillar drill chuck removal
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2020, 01:33:19 pm »

Hi Mike
My  idea will not work as there is not enough shaft , as I said a load of tosh I spoke. If it was mine my next move would be  to put the chuck key in and give the chuck key a belt with a mallet in the direction of a LEFTHAND THREAD  some Black& Deaker  drills had that fixing .Now I have run out of ideas.
Good luck
David

Its a push on chuck, there is no thread to unscrew from, the chuck key may be too high up, and missing it could damage the stop/guard plastic, using the jaws of the chuck to move the point of hammering down by the use of a bolt with a big head away from the chuck may be a solution, even using a chisel to hit the bolt head might be enough to loosen the tapers grip. I assume the arbor is not removable as damaging this whilst in the machine is not what you want.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2020, 06:16:38 pm »

It is in the manual .Basically give it a thump .Not the way I would prefer to do it
The book is here. Page 31.1 64
https://www.zgonc.at/media/downloads/manuals/45733.pdf

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2020, 06:46:43 pm »

Hi ya Mike

your pillar drill looks like the modern version of my 'old - ancient' Clarke pillar drill.

The way I removed the chuck from my old pillar drill required the use of a lump of 2 x 2 x 6 inches old oak wood (good solid hard timber) and a lump hammer or a 2 lb ball pane hammer - the choice is yours.   Remove the safety guard mounting screw at the back of the machine (which holds the red support ring).   Then, remove the stop screw lock nuts allowing you to move the spindle all the way down and giving you plenty of access to get the lump of timber in on the edge of the back of the chuck.  Get someone to hold the handles of the drill in the 'down' position so that it doesn't spring back up all the time - and then give the timber a good wallop on the end - minding your fingers.

Also, have something to catch the chuck as it flies off.

I have used both versions of the chuck (keyless and the key one) and I confess I prefer the key chuck.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2020, 07:25:13 pm »

If it requires all this violence to change it maybe stick with the key chuck?

Colin

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • I used to be indecisive... but now I'm not so sure
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2020, 09:04:28 pm »

Evening all.

I think that the best way forward is indeed to stick with the chuck that's fitted which is still perfectly accurate following the abuse.
I'm not going to risk any more bashing with lump hammers to no avail.

My thanks to everyone for the replies and suggestions, I really appreciate all of the help offered.

Mike.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2020, 10:24:43 am »

hi Colin, you must not have had much engineering violence whilst at your work desk  %% .  In heavy engineering a 2 lb ball pane hammer is regarded as a toffee hammer - just good for cracking hard toffee  O0 .  When you see someone come along with an  oxyacetyline bottle you know there is some serious work needed to be done, especially if you see someone dragging a Monday hammer behind them with a grin on their face - something is going to get a serious bit of violence.   Not for the faint hearted.

John

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2020, 12:00:57 pm »

In heavy engineering a 2 lb ball pane hammer is regarded as a toffee hammer - just good for cracking hard toffee  O0

{-) {-) {-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2020, 01:41:05 pm »

Monday Hammer - not heard of one of those before
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2020, 02:35:26 pm »

If a Monday hammer is as bad as it sounds, I'd hate to see a Friday one...

Colin

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2020, 04:57:24 pm »

Hi - I know this is ending up with 'nothing to do with removing chucks from drilling machines' but, as far as the Monday hammer is concerned - I was led to believe/told the story of its name - and how it came about.   This was by an old blacksmith at Brigham & Cowan's shipyard - its one of the largest sledgehammers available - and - the next size up is mechanically driven.  That therefore gives you some idea of the weight of the hammer head.    Anyway, how does it get its name - Monday morning blacksmiths would often turn up with large quantities of alcohol in their systems and after 10 minutes of swinging one of these hammers on a Monday morning the amount of sweat that was produced cleared their bodies of alcohol.  Nothing could be done for the headache though.

One way of clearing the headache - one of the so called remedies was to stand next to the quenching troughs, when they were quenching red hot steel.   Now,  many a blacksmith never made it to the toilets so you can guess where they used to have a weeeeeeeeeeeeeee - so, therefore, the smell/aroma coming from the troughs was the best way to clear a headache from a hangover head ache.

Anyway, I have been trying to find a link where it shows the blacksmiths manufacturing the Titanic's anchor chains - I cannot find it - but I have found this link, which, I think you will find quite interesting.   Can you imagine been on the receiving end of a clip across the lughole from one of these blokes after he has been swinging a hammer all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLIbObCltfQ

John

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2020, 10:28:07 pm »

Back to the hammer ,in the chain forge at the Black Country museum there is a real Monday It has two shafts set at about 30 to 40 deg  used by two BIG men .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

RST

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2020, 10:39:59 pm »

In heavy engineering a 2 lb ball pane hammer is regarded as a toffee hammer - just good for cracking hard toffee  O0

{-) {-)

...we call it a ball pein hammer in my shops so far (I have 3 and a well-placed "tap" somewhere cures wonders), I heard it's called a ball peen hammer elsewhere also, but never seen pane before?

I'd be inclined to leave as-is. I know it's a hassle but I've had that many times drill bits slip compared to using a chuck key.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2020, 10:55:27 pm »

Last year, the VW Passat Alltrack WEB site listed the vehicles Moon Roof as a Pain of Armoured Glass. {-) .....I sent an e-mail to the Folks @ Wolfsburg....they corrected the WEB listing and thanked me......

Thanks? >>:-( ...[I was hoping for a free Alltrack]........ Derek...PS...I would have even accepted the VW Golf Alltrack.....white with black trim that is!
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RST

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2020, 12:29:42 am »

...ah well, good luck with that one, I was trying to explain to VOSA for about 10 years here years back how an MR2 GT-i was imposssible to be classed as a GT and made a mockery of a GT and GTS models, and how a Celica wasn't a coupe either.  I got nowhere and unfortunately bought less interesting cars.  Thankfully I'm still VW free after my 1988 Caddy -I'd have another mk 1 golf in a second if there was any way of maintining it (though no carbs, I got fed up of carb icing with my caddy).

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2020, 06:39:21 am »

Black Country chain makers.

Titanic chain makers from my neck of the woods. Proud strong men.
Jerry

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2020, 07:27:08 am »

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2020, 10:18:34 am »

...we call it a ball pein hammer in my shops so far (I have 3 and a well-placed "tap" somewhere cures wonders), I heard it's called a ball peen hammer elsewhere also, but never seen pane before?

must have come as a shock when googling pane hammer to realise there was more than one size hammer than you got in your Christmas cracker tool box - {-) could you see through it, that was the point I was making.   :-X

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2020, 08:44:19 pm »

John Your reference to a Monday hammer has brought some memories flooding back.I served my apprenticeship as a Millwright in a large floor and cattle food mill in Glasgow, very similar to the BALTIC Mill and owned by J Arthur Rank.

My journey man was a Vet from WW11 and was a very stocky smallish man but built like the proverbial out house, Gunner was has name as he served in the Royal Artillery.  He had a Monday hammer with the shaft cut down to 20" and it was a permanent fixture in his tool box, the Hammer head was a 14 lb lump and a beast to lug about, he used it by holding the shaft about 6" from the head and rarely needed a 2- handed grip.

Here is a pic of the same hammer but for the life of me I can't remember how I have it now. ( 14 lbs stamped on the head)

Thanks for the memory.

George.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2020, 05:19:23 pm »

Big stuff, a nice sledgehammer also the big V blocks in the shot. Like to see the size of the lathe they came off. nemesis

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2020, 06:01:22 pm »

I think that the best way forward is indeed to stick with the chuck that's fitted which is still perfectly accurate following the abuse.
I'm not going to risk any more bashing with lump hammers to no avail.
My thanks to everyone for the replies and suggestions, I really appreciate all of the help offered.
Mike.

Did you look up the center of the chuck Mike or take a photo?   Screw? 
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.