Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flattening a new cutting mat  (Read 2456 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Flattening a new cutting mat
« on: July 12, 2020, 06:56:10 pm »

Hi All

Any ideas on how to flatten a brand new A1 size cutting mat??  It was delivered folded in two and no matter what I've tried I just cannot get it to lay flat.  This is what. I've tried so far

1. Covering with a damp cloth and then ran a steam iron over the top.  I've done this about 5 times which has improved it but its still a bit lumpy
2. Putting it in a hot bath of water and then putting books etc on it which made no difference
3. Left it out in the sun to warm up and then put books etc on it which made no difference

Any ideas would be most appreciated

Mark

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Flattening a new cutting mat
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 07:02:16 pm »

Either put in hot water and then flatten out, or put in the sun and then flatten out, have done both and bothe worked for me.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 07:50:46 pm »

Sorry should have read the whole post, see you have tried that, strange they did not work.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 07:58:14 pm »

What about playing a hot air gun over it carefully  or put on a flat tray and put in the oven  at about 110c and slowly go up 10c at a time which two brain cell sent it folded.
            Regards Howard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 08:13:38 pm »

I had to leave mine on the floor for a week....  {:-{

What about supporting something under the crease so it starts to anneal back the other way?

Is it creased or stressed at the fold?   If so, just request a return, you'll never fix it!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RST

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 11:24:08 pm »

What about playing a hot air gun over it carefully  or put on a flat tray and put in the oven  at about 110c and slowly go up 10c at a time which two brain cell sent it folded.
            Regards Howard.

I would love an oven A1 size!

...was it folded by courier, sounds like a courier tactic? Request a refund seeing as you said it as new. I doubt a fold will come out properly, unless you're happy making 2 sub-sized A2 mats from it.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 11:32:37 pm »

Opps, got my head number the wrong way round sorry, I have a huge flat BBQ but not sure its A1.
            Regards Howard

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 11:37:07 pm »

lol Ask a nice lady from Gregs if you can in into one of their ovens at the end of the day ;D
          Regards Howard

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 03:24:17 am »

Thanks for the reply’s so at least I’m on the right track using heat. I think the issue is getting the whole thing hot at one time. If it was cold I’d fire up the central heating and drape it over a radiator but it’s too warm for that. Funnily enough it was my wife that suggested putting it under my metal tool drawers which has a flat bottom. It weighs about 90 kilos so it’s under there until I get home on Friday and see if it’s worked. I still have the option of returning it but I got it cheap so hopefully this may work

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 09:35:41 pm »

Just an update on this - so its sat all week underneath a 90kg flat bottomed metal drawer casing - and no difference what so ever  >>:-(

I've even fired up the central heating and got it really hot and again this has had no impact on it whatsoever.

So the moral of the story is  - if you receive a cutting mat with a good crease down the middle its pretty much useless. I've now cut it in two for some other jobs that it can do and ordered another but different type.

If it turns up folded I'll just send it straight back.

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 10:43:38 pm »

Personally I would file a complaint with the Shipper and Supplier. Mat was improperly shipped; Should have been shipped in a Tube or flat-packed. Should never have been folded.

That is a Shipper / Supplier issue to replace.
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 08:37:05 am »

Realistically an A1 mat would surely need to be rolled around a former of a sensible (75mm+??) diameter or inside a box both to control the roll and provide support when the mat is attacked by the carrier and transported at the bottom of a heavy pile of parcels. I can't see a flat pack of that size and flopiness working without something like hardboard support.

I would ask that it all be confirmed before purchase.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 09:25:49 am »

I bought two that size fairly recently and they came flat-packed with a piece of thick tri-wall board. I would personally take the matter up with the supplier - these things aren't cheap enough to write-off.
Dave M

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 09:27:25 am »

Hi, I had a run in with a 'carrrier' throwing a boat kit over a 6 foot high fence as a 'delivery'.  You get no-where, I tried 'Resolver' very disappointing just a flat response no attempt at resolving.  The cost of transport money was returned, but no admission of bad practice or confirming they had spoken to the person concerned.  Probably for something perhaps a bit more extreme I would go onto Social Media.

As a quote from Dad's Army, "They don't like it up em"

Just listening on the radio today about conditions in farming concerning crop picking.  The employers hide behind 'Motherhood statements' while workers have justifiable complaints ignored.  The only thing that seems to work is going undercover with a video camera, which is the basis of some current TV programmes.

Its the age we live in I am afraid.  For my two pennorth with plastics, assuming the surface is not damaged, then controlled heating in some form and quick cooling when sorted is going to be the only way.

Regards
Roy

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 11:19:03 am »

Hi, I had a run in with a 'carrrier' throwing a boat kit over a 6 foot high fence as a 'delivery'.  You get no-where, I tried 'Resolver' very disappointing just a flat response no attempt at resolving.  The cost of transport money was returned, but no admission of bad practice or confirming they had spoken to the person concerned.  Probably for something perhaps a bit more extreme I would go onto Social Media.

As a quote from Dad's Army, "They don't like it up em"

Just listening on the radio today about conditions in farming concerning crop picking.  The employers hide behind 'Motherhood statements' while workers have justifiable complaints ignored.  The only thing that seems to work is going undercover with a video camera, which is the basis of some current TV programmes.

Its the age we live in I am afraid.  For my two pennorth with plastics, assuming the surface is not damaged, then controlled heating in some form and quick cooling when sorted is going to be the only way.

Regards
Roy
Perseverance is the answer with couriers.
If you are the buyer, then any delivery issue is between the supplier and courier, not you. Your contract is with the supplier and consumer rights should be taken up with them.

Many people are fobbed off by the supplier who'll say 'contact the courier' or where the buyer goes direct to the courier, they just get the run around.
If you're the seller then yes, you have to take it up with the courier but, you're still covered by consumer protection.
Personally, Id have been onto the supplier and rejected this folded cutting mat.

phillnjack3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2021, 05:11:15 pm »

turn i up wrong way so crease is underneath
then with it flat pour boiling water on it and then lift it straigh tup and wave about to cool quick.
failing that  hot air gun with it hanging up.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.