Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What engine for KRICK Victoria steam launch  (Read 1498 times)

Rodgearing

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
What engine for KRICK Victoria steam launch
« on: July 23, 2020, 11:05:14 am »

Today I bought at auction a KRICK Victoria steam launch with the intention of repairing it (not a lot wrong wit it just cosmetic) and selling on as Tugs are my bag.
Got it home and there was loads of info on the GAGE TVR1A Twin engine and got thinking I really would like to stick and engine in it.
The GAGE engine I have details of is kit built.
So the questions
Is this the best engine if so any good?
Any one supply web details etc please
Are there other kit engines around don't want one off the shelf I want to build one.
Thanks
Fred

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: What engine
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 01:01:53 pm »

Is it the best engine?  Well, I guess that's a matter of personal preference and judgement.  Is it any good?  Undoubtedly, and it could well be the best for the price.  I suggest you peruse the build manual and decide if it's what you are after.  It will certainly drive a Victoria with ease.

I built one a few years ago and although there were hiccups along the way, it ran fine in the end.  If you click on the TVR line in the list at the bottom of this post, you can see how I got on (although I'm afraid Photobucket's PR detract a bit from the pictures). 

I will leave it to others more steeped in steam lore to suggest alternative engine kits.

Happy steaming!

Greg

Rodgearing

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 03:51:07 pm »

Is it the best engine?  Well, I guess that's a matter of personal preference and judgement.  Is it any good?  Undoubtedly, and it could well be the best for the price.  I suggest you peruse the build manual and decide if it's what you are after.  It will certainly drive a Victoria with ease.

I built one a few years ago and although there were hiccups along the way, it ran fine in the end.  If you click on the TVR line in the list at the bottom of this post, you can see how I got on (although I'm afraid Photobucket's PR detract a bit from the pictures). 

I will leave it to others more steeped in steam lore to suggest alternative engine kits.

Happy steaming!

Greg
I ask is it the best engine because I know nothing and with that in mind have NO preferences.
I am happy with the construction side of things all I want to know is if its ok for the job and where I can get one from.
But thanks for the response

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 04:31:38 pm »

Hi the TVR1abb is available as a kit for £285 from Macmodels and looks to be a nice engine. While I am new to steam, what I have learned is that the engine boiler and prop size are all linked. You need to get the boiler size matched to the engine and use the largest pro you can so that low revs achieve the speed you desire and use the least amount of steam so that you get decent run times. It’s all about management of the steam, good luck with your project

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
Re: What engine for KRICK Victoria steam launch
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 08:41:27 pm »

Bonjour Fred,
Several of my friends have bought this kit engine, I was told it was not obvious to set up for a beginner. Furthermore, it is a 8 cm3 ==> if you wish some autonomy, you will need a large boiler (especially if vertical), a large oil separator and a large gas tank.

A friend of mine installed a Wilesco oscillating machine in her Victoria : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFQpEs4fGKM

This is why I would kindly suggest you to find a 3 - 5 cm3 max machine, quite enough to power this hull.

And Sorry, I have no manufacturer in mind who sells kits.
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 11:38:52 pm »

I think rhavrane has raised valid concern in the total steam plant weight to compliment the Gage TVR1A twin engine for a Krick Victoria[size=0px],[/size] however you may also need to seriously consider if you would return the $ cost of the complete steam plant + your auction paid $ price for the model when you offered it for sale %)

My guess is that you would not return your costs in the potential sale  <*<

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Rodgearing

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 09:07:33 am »

Thanks for the responses.
Just to clarify a few things as an engineer I feel competent enough to build a steam engine (I built a scratch built engine at school as a metal work project ;) )
Point two if I put an engine in the beast I will keep it but...having weighed up the costs of an engine, burner , boiler etc I think its too pricey so with that in mind any one want to buy a Krick Victoria steam launch and two channel radio?

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 04:46:43 pm »

The launch would look great in steam, there are ready made boiler and twin cyl engine combos on eBay from £400 that look good, others on the forum that have experience of them may well be worth talking to. There are also older steam plants that come up for sale that following restoration will give years of service, whatever you decide good luck

carlfmiller

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats + Model Trains + Model Planes!!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 06:14:07 am »

I have built a TVR1ABB and it was very straightforward. Lots of little parts to make up the Hackworth reverser mechanism but it went together and works very well. Instructions need to be scrutinized but they are all correct. I think a very strong engine as well. I tried to steam it from a 2" boiler but this did not work. However the 3" boiler is a fine combination and I got about a 20 minute run in an 11lb, 38" launch. I propped this launch with PropShop "Steam scale" 4-blade prop, 2.4" diameter. Have a look at the movie and see that the TVR1A on 3" boiler can step RIVAL right out. Reversing is confident and effective as well.

The design has some aluminum moving parts face to face which I don't like but the frequent lubrication makes it work ok. No galling or excess wear so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EglzcUZKxzU

I agree a search for the "best engine" is full of variables, but this one is a very good solution in my opinion. You can buy it direct from Graham in the USA. The BB version is an option, maybe not necessary, nor the extra "for looks" special bolt kit.  (but they do make it look nice. An adaptation has to be made if you want to run the reverser from front or behind the engine instead of above the engine.

Suggest the Flyskyi6 radio, yes 6 channels more than you need but a good solution and computer control for a very modest price. Having "end point" adjustments will save you a lot of fiddling with the control rods.  And be sure to use a metal gear servo for the rudder. Accidental bump of the rudder during handling/launching is sure to strip out a plastic gear train.

Have fun, it's a pretty boat!

-Carl

Rodgearing

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 10:01:57 am »

Thanks to all that have responded to my post.  Its not something I am going to do.  Its far to costly.
I have too many hobbies and albeit I really want to build an engine I just can't afford it.

The launch is now on ebay
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.