Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Riva's and LeTonkinois varnish  (Read 3915 times)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Riva's and LeTonkinois varnish
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2020, 07:38:57 am »

I used Brava varnish and natural turpentine(same varnish as the full size boat uses), and matted back on the final coat using some king of green finishing cloth from halfords that barely makes a mark when used, but keys up the surface fine- leaving no visible scratches, but sort of matts the surface

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2020, 09:33:18 am »

Interesting alternative but not in keeping with the intention of Mike's guide as detailed in the opening paragraph. :-))

This is what we are looking for in Mike's own build.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2020, 10:01:44 am »

Yes I understood that, i was just trying to describe the very fine cloth i used for flatting off, and no, its not in the same league is it.
I think the grit was something like 2500

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • I used to be indecisive... but now I'm not so sure
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2020, 11:37:12 am »

Morning All.

Following the rubbing down and have applied another coat. I didn't say that,(completely forgot), the varnish this time is Vernis Marine No.1, due to the fact that I had

no Classic, but it will help to show the differences between the two. My opinion is that the former just doesn't stand up. It seems more subdued to me but will do for the

time being as I have ordered some Original/Classic

Photos to show this mornings results.

Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2020, 02:56:01 pm »

Hello All.

I called Brian at LeTonkinios today to order some varnish and we discussed my slight disappointment with the Marine No.1.
To my surprise he agreed that it is slightly lacking in overall performance when compared to the Classic. Due in part to the new owner.

The owners, for the last year, is the German company that were the suppliers of the all the ingredients that Le Tonkinios used in manufacturing their varnish and have promised not to change anything for the next 2 years which is good news.

Also, Brian extolled the virtues of the Scotch Brite pads that he sells, they look remarkably like the ones that you use Andy. He is sending me some to try so I will give it a go when they arrive. He recommended using them for taking the shine off the the varnish, making it ready for the next coat but not for cutting down any runs/sags or other imperfections as they aren't meant for that.

Will let you know next week.

Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2020, 11:13:47 pm »

That's a good idea Andy, but how do I do that ?

Mike.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2020, 08:55:04 am »

Morning All

I think you were absolutely right to raise the weight issue Mike, then its a question of how far to take it.  It will be interesting to see what the efforts that have been made to reduce weight in Andy's, and my own build will translate to on the water.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2020, 06:11:55 pm »

Hi Mike

I've been looking at my mahogany planks to sort the colour variation. Seems there is about 70% good and similar, so will look good together. I'm thinking topsides / hull sides for these. The remaining are in two groups, a slightly orange tinted set and a set that are just less coloured, more washed out.

Would I be correct to think these can be used for the hull planing surface as they're going to be painted..?

And on same subject if thats a yes... What paints have you used on the hull, the white and the red..? And related, did you just varnish the lot as per rest of the boat and add a final paint layer..?

Thanks.
David.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2020, 06:47:07 pm »

Evening David.

I use the  odd planks for anything below the waterline and the bottom. I'm lucky with the big one as I had cut my own planking and could reject some of them. I think it can be seen in my last Biggish post, again I'm lucky in that the varnished wood stops just under the "Ailerons", as the French call them,never did know their name.
The paint was applied post varnish. The paint was PlasiKote, it's a modified enamel with quickish drying properties and quite likes sticking to LeTonk. Will be using it on the big one, eventually !!

Mike.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.