Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flipping Bangers TV Series  (Read 3456 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Flipping Bangers TV Series
« on: July 17, 2020, 08:05:18 pm »

Is like the original Wheeler Dealers except without Edd. Love it.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Re: Flipping Bangers TV Series
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 12:08:45 pm »

I can't decide what the premise of the program is - 2 guys who don't seem to know enough about cars to even entertain trying to run a 'business' flipping knackered cars.        I suspect the whole point is to flog 60 minutes of tv content and the car is just a vehicle (pardon the pun) to justify the programme.

I remember seeing a breakdown of TV payments / costs - and for a non-mainstream TV channel it was something like £150k per hour - so if you look at their production costs, the 2 guys for a week, plus a cameraman, sound guy, producer, editor etc. they're all on to a nice little earner per episode.   

It's why Wheeler Dealers never actually sold the cars - the buyer was part of the team - there was no need - the profit is all in the videotape.

I think the most blatant one is Goblin Works - turning rubbish cars into total scrap - but look at all that lovely TV money!

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 12:22:07 pm »

I can't decide what the premise of the program is - 2 guys who don't seem to know enough about cars to even entertain trying to run a 'business' flipping knackered cars.        I suspect the whole point is to flog 60 minutes of tv content and the car is just a vehicle (pardon the pun) to justify the programme.

I remember seeing a breakdown of TV payments / costs - and for a non-mainstream TV channel it was something like £150k per hour - so if you look at their production costs, the 2 guys for a week, plus a cameraman, sound guy, producer, editor etc. they're all on to a nice little earner per episode.   

It's why Wheeler Dealers never actually sold the cars - the buyer was part of the team - there was no need - the profit is all in the videotape.

I think the most blatant one is Goblin Works - turning rubbish cars into total scrap - but look at all that lovely TV money!
Premise of the programme? Part entertainment and part showing repairs, what's wrong with that? Yeah, it's also relatively cheap programming. Dont see a problem with any of that myself but Im not a cynic.

Sure, we all knew the 'buyers' on WD were mainly fake although in later series, they did advertise the cars via Autotrader and other websites.
Im just catching up with Series 1 and the episode last night with the Alfa did something you'd never see on WD or even Car SOS. The car was scrapped because it was deemed not safe to put back on the road. Sure, there was still some poetic licence in the programme, for example, wouldnt they have spotted the chassis was in such poor condition before starting?

I think sometimes people expect far too much from such programmes.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 12:40:29 pm »

They 'scrapped' the car with immaculate, expensive alloys, sorted engine and all of the other prized bits from the car - like the heated rear window (keeps your hands warm when pushing).       Just so fake.      It would have been more believable if they broke it and sold the big parts.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 04:07:59 pm »

They 'scrapped' the car with immaculate, expensive alloys, sorted engine and all of the other prized bits from the car - like the heated rear window (keeps your hands warm when pushing).       Just so fake.      It would have been more believable if they broke it and sold the big parts.
They showed one alloy being refurbed. If they did do all 4, that was 125 quid in total. The engine 'sorting' was a cambelt change of about 150 including a couple of tools. Just so fake? Like WD, Car SOS and in fact any 'make over' tv prog, they impose a time limit for completion.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 04:58:44 pm »

Have you seen Fantomworks?        It really annoys me - he seems to get customer's cars in and then dismantle them and then magically finds massive problems that will cost a fortune to fix.      But the customer is over a barrel with their car in bits.       I saw one episode with a Citroen 2CV - they literally had no clue about the car so all their learning and mistakes were all billable hours.      And they announced the car had no shock absorbers so they couldn't fix the bouncy suspension.   %)   

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 06:59:33 pm »

Yeah but it's all "TV reality!"   O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 09:37:35 am »

A show showing one car being done properly over time (lots and lots of time) isn't on the telly, and is never likely to be.  Project Binky on YouTube.  And its companion, "Escargot".
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 10:12:04 am »

Liking the new 'Vintage Voltage' tv series - where classic cars are converted to electric for what appears to be genuine customers?.
The programme appears plausible, vehicles certainly benefit from a huge performance boost,
but costs involved seem staggering - £30,000 is regularly mentioned to convert the likes of Fiat 500 or VW Karmann Ghia??.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 10:27:08 am »

I'm bored with the vintage voltage - it's the same every week - mostly VW conversions - the Karmann Ghia, Chesil, Microbus etc.     I'm finding their single focus of leccy conversion but leaving all the rust and mechanical issues and the outrageous prices to be a bit repetitive.

I'm watching lots of car vids on Youtube - Project Binky - They'll be old & grey before it turns a wheel.   {-)     There's a few US ones I'm following too - lots of late-model Mustang floors with '60s bodyshells dropped on top and wrecked McLarens being fixed.

Now for people who REALLY impress me - look at Retro Power -  they do it properly!   https://www.youtube.com/user/retropowercars/videos   

And Arthur Tussik - repairing mangled cars -  he is a true artist who really understands metal.  https://www.youtube.com/c/tussik01/videos

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 05:37:04 pm »

A show showing one car being done properly over time (lots and lots of time) isn't on the telly, and is never likely to be.  Project Binky on YouTube.  And its companion, "Escargot".

BRILLIANT series!!! -   https://www.youtube.com/user/badobsessionmsport

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.