Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Midknight  (Read 1840 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Midknight
« on: July 18, 2020, 10:07:03 pm »

I mentioned before about Midknight, a nice glow engined sport plane I have built in many sizes, many years ago. I built a brushless depron version at one time, flew well, eventually had a bad crash, not worth repairing, I had built a spare wing at the time, but never used it. It is in the process of being recycled.
 Anyway, I have decided to do a micro version of the midknight, using the same techniques and angles etc as the tiny trainer. My friend supplied me with 2mm depron for the wings. I had enough 2mm for tailplane and rudder. Fuselage is 6mm.
 Anybody got any white 2 or 3mm depron? I read they have stopped making it.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Midknight
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 10:10:17 pm »

Compared to trainer drawing

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 10:21:12 pm »

Well, it didnt take long, the board, motor and battery still to be fitted but airframe is complete.  My modified Jupiter Junior biplane, tiny trainer and the Midknight all fit in the box! Amazing, its not even filling up my rucksack. Dont think they will all fit once the boards and controls are on. 2 at a time is good or just make a slightly bigger box. Lol.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 12:21:41 pm »

My friend lent me a board until mine (hopefully) start arriving through the post. I used it to prepare a few models for final fitting and decided to finish installing it in the midknight. It turned out to be a good choice, this little plane flies very nicely, well impressed. Weighing in at 28g, it can float about near its gentle stall on 2nd notch of throttle or zing about pretty quickly. It has enough power to pull itself out of a stall and manages 6ft continuous loops with no problem. I hope to get a video soon.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 01:04:21 pm »

I have a Turnigy 200mah cell fitted, plenty of power, 15 mins plus with a mix of slow and fast flying. It weighs the same (6g) as one of my e-cig cells, even though they are stated as being 285mah? I have 300mah Turnigy cells that weigh 9g. Are the e-cig cells really 285? Dont suppose it really matters too much. It flies till it runs low, glides gently into grass then undoing a bit of masking tape releases the battery. (I may make a battery holder arrangement at some point) My 1 ounce midknight flies for twice as long as my glow engined version did on a tank's worth of fuel.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 09:48:38 pm »

Video of Midknight in quite a strong wind.

https://youtu.be/UEaLrC5Tqrg

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 10:20:46 pm »

When you say board , what is it that you are using and what motor ?. Just seen description on Video.  :-)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 04:28:05 pm »

Hi, the boards are from/for the Wltoys F949 plane, they are 4 channel and come with 2 tiny servos and a socket for a third servo, not supplied but available for about £5. The board has dc 3.7v speed controller built in and receiver. It weighs 5.5 grams and costs around £13. Using a flysky transmitter allows all sorts of mixing capabilites.
My Tiny Delta post shows how to use this transmitter.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 06:39:06 pm »

I realised I never said what motors we use. 7mm diameter 20mm long coreless motors with a direct drive prop or same motor with a syma x7 quadcopter gearbox and prop. I would imagine any quadcopter gearbox that uses this motor would be suitable. Direct drive motors can be purchased with props for around £3. I have run two syma x7 gearbox/motor units from the board with no sign of problems, I have also run a 10mm by 20mm motor/gearbox combination in my floaty glider and biggy jet. Awesome wee boards, cant praise them enough.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 10:01:59 pm »

I would have liked to have the battery tucked in somewhere but I dont want to cut a big hole, it works perfectly where it is, and balances the weight of the servo board and pushrods pretty well. I usually fly this one and put it back on charge rather than swap the battery. Its a piece of masking tape so it is very easy anyway. It is hard to see when its flying past so I think it will stay like that. I am impressed by the way it can fly slow, where it climbs on first notch of throttle or fast without much tendency to nose up all the time. The wing is undercambered where it meets the fuselage but flattens out near the tips. And it has a safety feature, sort of. As the wing is made in 2 halves, taped together and held to the fuselage by the wing slot/cockpit and 2 rubber bands, it can actually fold if subjected to too many Gs, then ping back level again. Continuous loops are possible with this little plane but full throttle tight loops cause wing fold. It has amazing control for an undercambered rudder and elevator model, and a very respectable glide as well. I flew this little plane from my garden, standing beside my shed, confident I could get it in past the telephone wires and our washing lines. I took it up till it was higher than I have had one of these little planes, shut the motor off and glided down onto our lawn. It can turn pretty tight so I managed to avoid the neighbours fence and get down without damage. I did this until the battery ran out, about 15 to 20 minutes of flying, long glides helped extend flying time.
One of the best handling of my 'F949 board series' of planes. (and a skydiver)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.