Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Spiney's Grand Banks  (Read 6758 times)

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
Spiney's Grand Banks
« on: July 27, 2020, 09:52:39 am »

Having shelved (for the time being) the Amati Riva kit due to excessive weight issues I thought I'd have a crack at the Grand Banks.  I've been admiring this kit for some time and spurred on by Stan's progress on his I took the plunge and ordered the kit from Cornwall Model Boats.  This time around I'm prepared for the challenge of an overweight kit and have made a start by weighing and test floating the hull to get an idea of the scale of the diet required.  I've decided on a target all up weight of 3.5kgs and the hull as supplied out of the box already accounts for 1.727Kgs of that.  Decision made to attack the pristine hull it now looks like this and still weighs 1.65Kgs.  The enforced wait for delivery of the motors, mounts and stern tubes will give me time to mull over whether to leave it as is or try to find ways to remove more material before continuing. 

Thanks to Stan by the way for all your help and advice before I've even started.....

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Spiney's Grand Banks
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 11:15:22 am »

Slots  cut  freehand?   :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 12:07:35 pm »

Pretty much Martin, Ran the outside of a pencil down the gunwales and my finger along the inside as a rough guide and the winged it, as is my way!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 06:26:45 pm »

8) Nicely done

I see lots of further possible holes without it sinking  {-)   

Watching  :-))
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 07:36:03 pm »

Not holes in the hull you need to worry about. I need to do more work on my hull  at some time.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 12:45:25 pm »

Still waiting for the shafts and tubes to arrive so tried an experiment to see what weight reduction is possible by grinding off some of the interior gel.  Just this amount removed around 10 grams so its probably worth the effort to continue once the Dremel has recovered and recharged.

Down to 1.64Kgs........

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 02:32:54 pm »

1.61Kgs - quite encouraged....

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 04:03:59 pm »

I can see daylight take it steady. {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Stan

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 12:39:29 pm »

1.57Kgs.  May stop here and just give the inside a coat of white emulsion to hide the carnage.  Im still waiting for the props and shafts (beginning to think that they are lost in post) so have plenty of time to mull it over....

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 03:56:14 pm »

i like what you are doing here, but have you considered what you will have to do to the cabin to keep this thing from capsizing when it is all together?

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 04:07:09 pm »

I have (kinda) but it's all guesswork at this stage really.  The way I see it is even at this weight it's still a massive chunk of glass and plastic and there's loads of scope for weight saving above the gunnels, much more so than in the hull so I don't expect to see an issue.  Even if it turned out that a bit of weight is desirable it will be a darn site easier to add it than it has been to take it away!

I'm now at the stage of diminishing returns anyway so I've just given the insides a coat of white primer and will be calling it a day until the stern tubes, shafts and props arrive (if they ever do).

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 09:40:50 am »

Primer now dry the final hull weight is just under 1.55Kg.  It looks a little battle scarred but is still strong enough to ram a battleship and come off best!

Guess this post will now go quiet until the Post Office find my props and shafts or the nice guys at Modelboatbits ship me some replacements...

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 11:28:17 am »

Stern tubes and props arrived so started on the rudders, the hole for which is marked on the hull by a small indentation.  Unfortunately at least one was in the wrong place, something I realised after I'd drilled the hole.  One hole filled with epoxy and redrilled now at least I have two holes the same distance from the centreline.

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 03:09:05 pm »

Although I've been quiet over the past few days I have been busy and now have the motors, shafts, tubes, props and rudders in place.  There is also an as yet unfixed electrics board with the ESC's and receiver in place and the basic wiring all done.  The weight of the hull has now shot up to 2.6Kgs but this includes a NiCad battery which may or may not get replaced with a LiPo.  Pictures to follow soon....

In the meantime and whilst waiting for various bits n bobs to dry I've had a crack at recreating the little RIB in balsa rather than attempting to lighten the one supplied.  It's been a fiddly old job but I think I now have the makings of a passable replacement although it still needs quite a bit of tidying up (not to mention a hull and floor).  The bit benefit, the supplied RIB in grey just over 100 grams, mine 10 grams...

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2020, 12:05:06 pm »

Finally got to a point that I'm reasonably happy with.  All the basic electrics are now in place and working as are props and rudders etc.  I had a real problem with vibration which is the reason for the large fin between the prop shaft and hull.  Unfortunately that means the underside can hardly be considered scale but at least it should run smoothly.  There's a large unused area on the electrics shelf which will be used to run various lights but I'm not sure yet whether they will be remotely controlled like Stan's or a simple bank of switches.  I should probably fit at least a main fuse but not too sure whether it's better to be able to retrieve a model that looks a bit smokey on the water or have a fuse blow to protect everything but leave it stranded on the water?  Advice welcome......

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2020, 01:53:40 pm »

Hi spinney if you check out my electrical installation you will see both motors are fitted with separate fuses. These are from Action model electronics in terms of vibration my shafts are exposed when they leave the hull and are supported with P frames which go into the hull. In terms of lights that will be your choice but I do like to use my radio to do the job. Looking good up to press.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-))

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2020, 08:42:44 pm »

HI Spinney picture showing the P frames and exposed shafts fitted in my model no problems with vibration.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2020, 10:41:40 am »

Thanks Stan, I did see how you'd done your shafts but as I'd already ordered full length stern tubes I went with what I had.  I will take your advice on fuses though, except mine will end up between the battery and ESC rather than ESC and motor.  Love your mast wiring by the way, very tidy and the boat will look a treat with the deck lights on under the spreaders.

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2020, 02:14:53 pm »

Today I've made a start on the topsides.  In keeping with weight savings in the hull I'm determined to keep the rest as light as practicably possible so the ply and MDF are largely being replaced by balsa although there are at least two very slender frames where I'll keep the original parts for strength.

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2020, 12:11:47 pm »

So the topsides are beginning to take shape.  Using balsa by comparison with the beautifully laser cut parts supplied in the kit feels a little like making the kit from sponge but even though it definitely looks a lot rough round the edges all the balsa is under the skin and provides a framework for what comes next.  On the plus side it is having a major effect on weight.  Todays weigh in (as pictured below) comes in at 157g even including a number of parts used from the kit where strength seems more important than low weight.  The weight of the discarded parts so far (picture 4 below) is 328g.

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 02:33:39 pm »

Apologies!  This seems to be a fun stage where the boat starts to take shape and I've been beavering away ignoring my Mayhem duties.  Here are a few pics of where I am now.  The paint is Humbrol acrylic matt white spray and I do like the look of it although it'll be finished in semi gloss silk.  Looking for something more affordable though as the Humbrol is nearly 10 quid a can and lasts no time at all.

Similarly to Stan I am installing instrument back lights and there are a couple of LED's installed under the flybridge panel housing to spread the light a little but running a half power so as not to look silly!

Still pleased I replaced much of the ply and MDF with balsa although I'm a having to be very careful with the structure and have already had a couple of accidents, thank god for superglue and filler!

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2020, 03:25:52 pm »

Looking good I think you may have yours finished before mine.

Stan.

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2020, 01:35:00 pm »

Thanks Stan.  Next stage will be to illuminate the main cabin and I can’t think of a better way of doing so than your layout.  Out to the garage in a moment to play with some new LED’s but I apologise in advance if I just end up copying your design.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2020, 05:21:26 pm »

HI Spinney have you glued down the fly bridge? If you have this will make fitting a sub roof to accommodate the lighting difficult.

Stan.

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2020, 05:37:27 pm »

No it’s just placed for the picture.  I have a draft cabin roof with 6 led’s installed and want to finish with a clear or frosted dome, about the size and shape of a jelly tot, any ideas?

Postie brought me a bag of tiny magnets today and I am intending (but not yet worked out how) to fix the fly bridge and one cabin side using these.

Cheers
Spiney
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.