Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Spiney's Grand Banks  (Read 6755 times)

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Spiney's Grand Banks
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2020, 01:12:03 pm »

Nav lights made and ready to go.  Managed to make 2 port assemblies, TWICE.  >>:-(

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2020, 02:54:32 pm »

A couple of pictures of progress today with the electrics.  Everything is now installed in the flybridge and cabin overhead lights.  Some of the wiring is a bit of a rats nest right now but the effect with everything on is great.  The next stage will be to install magnets between the cabin and flybridge.  Sadly the pictures don't quite do justice to the effect.  The instrument panel lights are just about right although I have to get rid of the light seepage around the edges but the gauges look very convincing, it's a shame that highlights in the photo are completely blown out.  Once the electrics are properly installed and everything can be turned on without lashing everything together I'll get some better pictures.  All in all I confess I'm quite chuffed.   :-))

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2020, 03:18:57 pm »

Hi how many light are in the roof area any pictures? My top deck panel used one 2mm LED. Are using electronic switchers to turn on the lights?

Stan

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2020, 03:44:49 pm »

Hi Stan

There are 6 lights, arranged just as yours.  I did take your advice and ordered some led lenses but they’re not all that convincing so still on the lookout for my frosted jelly tot!

I will be using a receiver driven switch but different to yours, same principle but with eight switches and still waiting for it to arrive.  Once I’ve tidied everything up and installed the switch I’ll take some more photos.

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2020, 02:20:44 pm »

I've now installed magnets between the flybridge and cabin and arranged the wiring to align with notches in the cross members.  All the wiring exits via the small locker immediately forward of the flybridge steps so that once the flybridge is in place no wiring can be seen.

I'm using pre-formed LED / resistor combinations which means that it is often not possible to cut wires to the ideal length so I've ended up with quite a few stragglers, hence the masking tape making sure that everything lies flat.

Next stage, once the 8 port receiver switch arrives will be install it, and all the wiring underneath the cabin floor.  That'll mean that the only wires I will need between the hull and the topsides will be one radio receiver cable for the 8 port switch and one pair of wires for power.

The last picture just shows the 6 cabin lights shining through 3mm holes and still awaiting a flash of inspiration for my frosted jelly tot ceiling shade.

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2020, 02:30:50 pm »

Oh, and I meant to add that the all up weight for the topsides as shown above is 360 grams  :-))

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2020, 03:53:11 pm »

HI Spinney looking good you must have had a good teacher.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2020, 03:08:42 pm »

Thanks Stan although there's no teacher as with most things I just make it up as a go along!

Today I've just been replacing the failed plastic Amati tiller arms with nice shiny ones made from 3mm aluminium.

Have you managed to repair the damage to yours yet?

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2020, 06:51:05 pm »

Simple answer no to busy with very large paint brushes. ( decorating)

Stan. <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(  but there is some light at the end of the tunnel. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2020, 04:21:40 pm »

This is the interior steering position with LED installed for the instrument lights.  Trying to be quite fastidious with the way this is built because once installed it'll be totally inaccessible.  The LED I'm using is red and seems to have a pronounced beam effect compared to the white ones so will need diffusing to spread the light over the whole instrument panel.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2020, 04:57:08 pm »

HI Spinney the answer to gaining access to this or any other items in cabin area is to glue one side down and make the other side removable. All of my furniture is held in place with servo screws and all the wiring can be reached with no problems. Most of this can be seen in my build log

Stan. {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ make one side removable problem sorted. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2020, 05:07:05 pm »

Thanks for the advice Stan, I was aware that your model has a removable side held in place with magnets but having mulled things over I think mine will have fixed sides.  The reason is that I’ve used a lot of balsa in my build to keep weight to a minimum and I suspect I’ll need the sides to be glued down to build a little integrity back into the structure.  Of course that might change when I get to that stage but in the meantime I’m building as if I won’t have access later on.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2020, 05:20:57 pm »

Spiney what a lovely build and I think your wiring is extremely neat too.  You have made this a very thoughtful build - just lovely  :-))

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2020, 05:36:43 pm »

Thank you Mark.  Just been looking at your saw bench -JEALOUS-

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2020, 06:43:41 pm »

Ha ha hi mate - it took me many years to get my table saw.  Without a doubt the best tool that I have ever owned and I couldn't do without it now  :-))   Keep your updates coming as your build is inspiring.  By the way what not make your own light diffusers?  It seems to me that you have the skills so crack on!

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2020, 12:37:50 pm »

Today I've added two more red LED's for the instrument backlighting.   The original didn't have quite enough punch on its own and it was masked from the lower instruments by the woodwork.  The two new ones were therefore installed to project towards the instruments at 90 degrees.   The effect is finally what I was hoping for.

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2020, 02:25:36 pm »

I've spent the last few days putting together the various pieces of furniture for the cabin.  As these are all small pieces I've not worried too much about weight and gone with the kit supplied wood.  Once at the little sofa however that changed.  The seating piece along with lots of similar parts will be junked and remade.  Amati really do have absolutely no regard whatsoever for weight in this kit.  The sofa in the picture below weighs 100 grams.  Remade in balsa 20 grams.  I do have turn furniture maker and cover the sofa next but Amazon just delivered 1m of cream PVC.  I'll show how this turns out in another post unless it's complete rubbish in which case I'll just delete all this!

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2020, 03:37:49 pm »

I used this item but i removed a load of resin from underneath. Are you using the dark wood supplied in the kit?

Stan.

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2020, 04:57:42 pm »

I am Stan, I know the mahogany ain't exactly kosher but it is fine grained so it scales well and looks quite nice if not quite right!

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2020, 03:09:56 pm »

Today a few pictures to catch up to where I am.  I've now installed the steering position with the red backlit instruments.  Apart from the instrument / steering position all the rest of the furniture is just placed for the benefit of the pictures.  There's a bit of light leakage just below the instrument that needs sorting but pretty pleased otherwise.

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2020, 03:15:39 pm »

The sofa is now complete and again, pretty pleased apart from the upholstery right at the bottom where the two arms of the sofa meet.  There was a long piece of PVC designed to wrap under the seat and be pulled tight to pull the material into the 'L' unfortunately it just ripped off.  I don't have the patience to go back and start over so I'm hoping to graft a small piece of PVC into the joint to disguise it.

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2020, 03:19:18 pm »

Next are the interior cabin lights, the covers for which I finally found on a jewellery site on Ebay.  There are the "Frosted Jelly Tots" I've been referring to which I hoped would resemble ceiling shades.  With a bit of gold paint around the rim they are pretty much what I was hoping for.

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2020, 03:27:58 pm »

Last post today shows the electrics for the various LED's finally tidied up.  I had originally used an 8 way switch to turn everything off and on (I won't reveal the source) which did have the advantage of being incredibly small and light (so small that I had to buy a new set of micro screwdrivers to connect the wiring) and after many confusing attempts to get it all working I found out that this strange device is only capable of switching the return (negative) side of the load.  As I had designed the entire boat wiring to have a common return it was never going to work and so it joins the pile of scrapped Amati pieces.

It's now been replaced with an Action Electronics switch which installed with no problems whatsoever and is what Stan told me to use in the first place.  Live and learn, should have listened. :-))

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2020, 04:02:25 pm »

Very nice tidy work and the lights look great - I wouldn't worry too much about the light leakage around the instruments I think its nice as it is

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2020, 04:01:42 pm »

Apologies for the absence but there's two things that have been bugging me, the sofa which, despite what I said above, is going to be re-made.  the carcass is complete and I'm awaiting some PVC which should be a little more stretchy that what I used before so should, I hope, mould itself around the curves.

The second thing is the electrics.  Everythingl works OK but the whole design kinda grew organically with bits added on here and there as the layout evolved.  Today I bit the bullet and ripped everything from the hull and will start again.  This time I think I've got all the hardware I need so should be able to make a better fist of the layout and wiring.  Just made a start by mounting the switch gear onto an aluminium plate which will be used for main on/off plus the on/off for each esc.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.