Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: M/S Svea -66  (Read 8702 times)

hama

• Full Mayhemer
M/S Svea -66
« on: July 28, 2020, 08:30:24 am »

Hello!
I got the inspiration to start a new build this winter, this time another ferry favourite. I have no relation to this boat other than that I think she is a beautiful vessel. I got the GA plans some years ago together with that of Visby, Tor Britannia and Svea Corona. It was a close call between Svea and Svea Corona, which one I should build next and in retrospect I'm glad i didn't chose the Svea Corona just now.
My plans are of the Patricia, one of her sisters, the third one being Saga. Svea had a feature the others didn't, a smoke reflector on the funnel. Saga and Svea had cranes and a cargo hatch on the forecastle but this was removed later and replaced by cabins. All three vessels had long lifes for different companys around the world.
As I don't have frames plan, the underwater body is made up by myself, including a increased draft. I started to build the hull from the car deck to the keel, the car deck being totally flat.
Hama

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: M/S Svea -66
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 10:49:46 pm »

Hi HamaSvea looks nice. Which shipping company are you doing her as?
John

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 11:04:12 am »

Hello John!
At first I planned to make her as Hispania for Swedish Lloyd but I decided on making her as originally delivered as Svea.
Forgot to mention earlier for those that don't know this vessel, all three where at some point involved in traffic between Sweden and England together with Ellermans Spero that was built to a similar technical design. Svea/Hispania also traded between Southampton-Bilbao.
The model is built to a scale of 1:200.
Hama

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 05:08:59 pm »

To continue on the build, I cut openings through the "car deck" to get access. Extensions to the frames where added and fore and aft deck installed. A bowthruster tube was installed with angled brass tubes in to take the hoses from a water pump. The sides where then covered with balsa.
Hama

Sven

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 05:35:37 pm »

Hi Hama,

nice project what you have chosen. Will follow the building.

Pls can you tell us how much you have increased the draft of the vessel?  I have the drawings for a carferry from the 1980th and will try to do it the same way as you are doing.

br  Sven

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 07:47:28 pm »

Hello Sven, and thanks!
As for my Visby I added about 1cm to the draft and that's quite substantial at this scale. The Visby is very stable and I hope this one will be too. Both of them are of an older design and therefore haven't got such a tall superstructure.
Out of interest what is the ferry you are planning to build?
All the best!
Hama

Sven

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 05:58:28 pm »

Hi Hama and many thanks for info.

I had the chance to get original drawings from ferry MS Zenobia  which sunk 1980. Vessel was owned by Nordö Line, Sweden.
Working for that company I met the contructor of that ferry and he gave me the drawing as a gift. And so I'm running with it in mind since years :}

Mange tack ock all de best för din project

Sven

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 07:50:54 pm »

Tack Sven!  :-))
Looking forward to see your build of the Zenobia eventually, interesting subject. I believe she sank off Limasol during some strange events.
Hama

Sven

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 09:33:36 pm »

yes, she did. As I was told reason was mismatch between steering of balastwaterpumps and actuell situation, means ship have been listed to backboard and machines were working to the same side instead of pumping to starboard.

Poor company which had instaled the electrik for the pums.

Don't know when I will start, have so much projects left. Last was a small desktop model of a Hallberg Rassey 29 .

Sven

RST

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 10:19:50 pm »

Your build and choice is fascinating. I was initially drawn to history of Svea Corona (different ship) - off topic but what a dubious history!  Reminded me of the first time I went offshore on a rig that already caught fire, sunk twice and flooded since!

I do like the lines of older ships such as Svea -good choice!

Rich

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 06:41:45 am »

Hello Rich!
Yes it's as the Svea Corona had a spell on her. As I understand she came back twice after being considered as total constructive loss but the third time it was final. In the early nineties I worked with an officer that served on her when she was beached at an old sawmill in Vancouver after hitting a reef, that's the first TCL. She had two sisters that had much more success and longer careers.
Hama

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 09:38:59 am »

I have always vaguely fancied the idea of trying to find plans for the Svea Drott if they exist. Built in 1966 for Trave Lines and then with Rederi AB Gotland .Later on she was with Sealink as 'Earl Godwin' and later yet with Moby Lines as 'Moby Baby'. And even later yet, briefly, as Anemos, with Portucalence Shipping. They get around these Ro-Ro ships.

She wasn't really a handsome ship but I have happy memories of her when she was with Sealink. Sailed on her many, many times, Weymouth to Jersey.

Sven

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 12:57:53 pm »

@ BeeJay

do you mean this Svea Drott ??  If yes I can try to find some info  I own the shown model build for Trave Line.

b.r.  Sven

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 01:52:36 pm »

That certainly looks like the one I'm after. Those twin funnels are a bit of a giveaway.

Thanks.

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 04:48:48 pm »

Sven

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2020, 05:52:50 pm »

That's what I think I will get too not more. It's to old.

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2020, 06:52:31 pm »

And someone sold a GA recently on swedish auction site....
https://www.tradera.com/item/2906/403193535/ritning-m-s-svea-drott-oresundsvarvet-landskrona-svea-helsingborg
Hama

That would have done nicely. A bit expensive but you have to take what you can get,

Sven

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2020, 07:54:27 pm »

Hello BeeJay,

can you pls open a new threat for Svea Drott ?

I have some info but dont want do destroy this threat from Hama.

b.r.  Sven

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2020, 07:15:52 pm »

On with the build again, hull was covered inside and out with lightweight cloth and ezekote. As I wanted this one to be illuminated I cut openings for portholes and windows. Shafts and a single rudder got installed, funnel, masts and rest of the superstructure was built. Rubbing strakes were added.
Hama

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2020, 07:27:42 pm »

Looking really good Hama, I enjoy this form of construction myself and am currently building a 1903 liner using very similar techniques. I do prefer Eze Kote to epoxy resin as I find it nicer to work with. My superstructure is balsa framework covered with .5mm birch ply whuch takes a lovely finish.

Colin

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2020, 08:36:00 pm »

Thanks Colin!
I really enjoy working with balsa and as stated earlier I'm slowly working through a stock of balsa that I bought at a very reasonable price. In hindsight though I should have followed your method and used thin plywood for the superstructure sides as it was a real pain to cut the windows breaking the posts all the time. I go by my usual policy of "looking far from good but good from a far", it sort of suits my skills and patience. Looking forward to see your liner build as you are a very talented builder and an inspiration.
All the best!
Hama

Sven

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 04:53:55 pm »

Hejsan Hama,

looks very good, indeed. Wonder how it will lo when ready.

b.r.  Sven

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2020, 05:22:27 pm »

Thanks Sven!
Next task was to make the stern door. It's a foldable door and not a ramp, I guess they used a connecting linkspan. Anyway, I wanted to try to make an attempt to replicate the door. I found a hinge on a box that suited, and I think I'll manage to raise and lower the door and make it fold. More on that later but initial tests are promising. Then it was time for some paint.
All the best!
Hama

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2020, 01:58:25 pm »

:-))
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Sven

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 05:36:44 pm »

I love it  :-)) :-)) :-))
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.