Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: car window problem  (Read 2660 times)

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
car window problem
« on: August 01, 2020, 11:31:59 am »

I had trouble with my drivers electric window, it Wouldn’t work.
I called my local Hyundai dealer, explained the problem, he said he could book the car in for a diagnostic Check
That would cost me £108 and would probably find the fault and there would be parts and labour charges added on.
I told him no thank you I will take it elsewhere  <*< >>:-(
I checked the fuses they were ok,
So from inside the car operating the switch and using a sink plunger on the glass I pulled down on the window
A slight cracking sound and the window started working :-))  I can only think with the window being in full sun
Somehow stuck the window to the seal.
I applied some plumbers silicone seal lubricant to the window seal, and it runs in the seal track very smoothly now.
It could have been very costly for me had I taken to the dealers.
The diagnostic check is compulsory, what a ripoff
I am now a very happy bunny %%

John

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: car window problem
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 11:56:26 am »

My car being 21 years old has a couple of electrical issues - 1) the radio doesn't work and when it did the rear speakers gave up many years ago, though not having the radio is a god send as no distraction  :-))

2) my rear windows switches for both sides on the drivers door doesn't work when selecting down, the switches in the relevant door operate both up and down and when the windows are open the drivers switches lift the window to closed, so there must be a loose connection in the door panel.  >>:-(
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 12:04:45 pm »

20 years ago I had a similar switch/motor problem with the windows. The VW dealer cost was silly. The back street garage sorted me with a used motor from the scrappies and labour for about 1/5 the cost.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 12:25:00 pm »

And I bet the dealer would have charged you for parts too!   >:-o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 01:14:52 pm »

mines to old to reset (retrain) like in the videos on youtube, more like a strip out and clean - though with my luck it would only get worse  >>:-(
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 03:29:59 pm »

Hi John when electric windows start sticking its usually the regulator that's starting to wear out.  Thats the mechanism that does the actual moving and they are relatively easy to replace.  What we used to do is run clear silicone grease into the felt runners which eased any sticking and prolonged the life of the regulator.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 03:30:19 pm »

Hi guys, had it been the switch I would have to buy the whole 6 switch master board which is mega bucks.
Cars in the day had separate switches, alas no more Easy fix. That’s technology for you.

John

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 04:05:04 pm »

The motor itself can cost  around £400+ depending on make

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 04:37:31 pm »

Hyundai parts are fairly easy to get - here's an example for an I20.  The regulator is under £30 and with the motor about £125

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/hyundai/i20-gb/108807/12791/electric-window-winder

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 05:13:36 pm »

A few years ago, they were talking about doing away with opening windows due to all but the most basic cars having air con. Then someone said how are drivers supposed to pay road tolls by cash or card if they cannot lower the windows, never mind talk to the police or anyone else when needed?!

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 05:22:29 pm »

My daughter has been having a problem with the (newish) battery discharging itself over a relatively short time. Local Ford dealer checked and the computer advised that the door locks were the culprit. Couldn't tell which one so all had to be replaced for £382.00 plus the £75 inspection charge. SWMBO and daughter don't, or rather didn't get on with my local bloke but asked me to ask him %) nicely.He diagnosed the boot lock and got me a second hand one for £50.00 plus the fitting (£150.00 total including the time taken diagnosing)

No leak. No alarm going off when battery flat, normally about 2.00am and dad gets brownie points :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 10:43:13 pm »

Last Saturday it was raining cats & dogs ....all the cars on the expressway [90km/h] had their lights on...so I pressed the fog light button & the switch disappeared  >>:-( into the dashboard [quadrant]

Mr Google confirmed how to remove the quadrant  :-)) ...then I found the switch + relay in one very long deep casing [just hiding away out of sight]

Mr Mitsubishi advised $240.00+GST  :o .......so I thought for a few moments & roughed up the plastic switch casing top, mixed up a dollop of DEVCON plastic steel....paddled it around the switch & the back of the quadrant

Left it overnight...checked the next morning....'set like steel'...........replaced the quadrant all OK

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 08:03:23 am »

Just goes to prove main car dealers are money mad and when you drive the car off the forecourt
They treat you as a money dispenser when it comes to servicing or repair work.

John

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 08:36:45 am »

Hi

I know that this has nothing to do with car windows.

Back in the day when I had a Land Rover (then owned by BMW), I was sent a questionnaire and one of the questions was "How could we do better"  I replied Stop the accounts running the company and start looking after your costumers. I had phone calls and letters asking me to go along to the Head Office of Land Rover to explain my reply.

I would like to think that it is not the dealer that is at fault but the ACCOUNTS.

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 02:19:15 pm »

I would like to think that it is not the dealer that is at fault but the ACCOUNTS.

Fred
The whole car industry is set up with all sorts of psychological tricks to rip the customer off - everything is screwed down so tight that the dealers don't have any wiggle room on the way they operate.        It's a corporate-level target-based nastiness.       

I didn't realise that me going into a dealership with no intention to buy, just to be nosey, chat to the salesman and maybe pick up a brochure could cost someone their job!    :o        Their sales system is based around hard-sell percentages - so someone like me will damage a salesman's figures - and if he's had a poor month, I could accidentally tip his figures over the edge.    The service division is exactly the same - sales-driven targets - to rip you off by maximising profits for reaching targets to trigger dealer bonuses.       And now cars are so complex and most people have no clue what under the bonnet, it's a model that works.

There's some interesting youtubes explaining how the system works - it's brutal!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2020, 03:24:26 pm »

That's scary Plastic!   {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2020, 03:31:46 pm »

The whole car industry is set up with all sorts of psychological tricks to rip the customer off - everything is screwed down so tight that the dealers don't have any wiggle room on the way they operate.        It's a corporate-level target-based nastiness.       

I didn't realise that me going into a dealership with no intention to buy, just to be nosey, chat to the salesman and maybe pick up a brochure could cost someone their job!    :o        Their sales system is based around hard-sell percentages - so someone like me will damage a salesman's figures - and if he's had a poor month, I could accidentally tip his figures over the edge.    The service division is exactly the same - sales-driven targets - to rip you off by maximising profits for reaching targets to trigger dealer bonuses.       And now cars are so complex and most people have no clue what under the bonnet, it's a model that works.

There's some interesting youtubes explaining how the system works - it's brutal!
It's because with the exception of EVs, dealers make very little profit on new cars. My lad used to sell new cars at a nearby Renault dealership. The dealer made £99 per new Dacia sold. Every Dacia sold did not count towards his sales targets. For selling any model Renaults whether that be a basic Twingo to a top of the range Koleos SUV, he got £38. The dealer made between £250 and around £750 depending on the model.

Dealers love EVs because the mark up selling them is in the region of 5 to 10 grand per car depending on make and model.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2020, 03:32:57 pm »

And when you understand the margins on car sales and the fact that ALL of the profit is in the finance plan they sell you, you would be very guarded on the way you interact with the salesman (and his supervisor and the finance guy)     There's a lot of subtle tricks being played on you to manipulate you into upgrading your purchase with unnecessary extras, worthless guarantees and paperwork processing fees. 

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2020, 03:44:41 pm »

And when you understand the margins on car sales and the fact that ALL of the profit is in the finance plan they sell you, you would be very guarded on the way you interact with the salesman (and his supervisor and the finance guy)     There's a lot of subtle tricks being played on you to manipulate you into upgrading your purchase with unnecessary extras, worthless guarantees and paperwork processing fees.
Servicing and warranty repairs is a big earner plus getting customers to trade in regularly for a newer model. A friend of my wife who only does 2500 miles a year is contacted by the same salesman at the local Toyota garage saying 'It's 3 years, time to change your vehicle' and they dutifully have for the last 6 years!

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2020, 03:46:24 pm »

And if they can hook you into a lease plan, they know they've got you forever!

aestus57

• Full Mayhemer
  • Pentland Model Boat Club
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2020, 07:37:49 pm »

Here's  a good one for you all to laugh about.

Took my Duster ( no, dont laugh just yet ) in to a major dealer for its first MOT. They failed it saying the horn doesn't work. They suggested that they order a new horn unit ( about £120 ) then book it in for a diagnostic check ( about £100 ), if it was the horn unit then they would have it in stock to fit. Somewhat stunned over the price, I went to drive the car away but pressed the horn button on the end of the stalk as I got in. It was working perfectly. Kept sounding it till the service guy came out. After lengthy " free and frank " discussions, it turns out that the MOT tester had been pressing the centre of the steering wheel and not the clearly marked horn button.

MOT duly issued with a very red face!
Think I'm suffering from De Ja Vu,   I'm sure I've forgotten this before!

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2020, 08:01:12 pm »

Easy done a red face often happens due a touch of the Horn %)

RST

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2020, 09:39:19 pm »

Every garage round here wants £100+ for a diagnostic, dealership or not.  I have a little £25 OBDII scanner these days which covered most cars I owned since the flashing dashboard lamp trick no longer works.  It gets you roughly to the right fault if not exact.

My first Mercedes (not a remotely new one) took to the dealership in Inverness for a quote for a service: £600 + parts + vat.  Needness to say I put it to the local recommended "indi" guy -particularly after I found the dealership was Arnold Clark anyway.  It was about 150'odd plus parts at the good guy.

Second Merc I have now after a few years (again, not a new one!) -managed to find a garage open during the end of lock-down to get this one fully serviced and report anything wrong and FIX IT as normally I'm not home -need the car for work and want it 100% this year after lock-down.  Got it back fully serviced but came back out with same advisory on steering wheel play (I told them that balljoint on the column needed doing) and my brake pads were 70% worn

So took the car to local brake centre for new pads the other week as I want them new .....who said there's at least 70% left on the pads!  The original garage were probably trying to drum-up work, or didn't know their a** from their elbow.  Brake centre wouldn't take any cash at all from me -nothing even for the coffe and biscuits kitty!  I was happy with that but it still cost me £25 in taxis to find that out!

...Ironically, best service I ever had was local Land Rover.  I was silly and bought a 1.8 MK 1 fqce lift petrol Freelander once, had the usual work done on it then it neeed a new head gasket plus transfer shaft bearings etc etc before it broke proper.  Land Rover dealership job was actually totally reasonable price compared to independents.  Drop it off there, collect about 5-6 weeks later no bother (I was about to start another tour offshore so didn't have many options).  Car was cleaned inside out -delight to deal with.  Not expensve for the work done at all!!!!!!

A Clio years ago had a recall notice on bonnet catch release.  Tried to book it in for a check but told no appointments -just go to dealer, "drop-in".  Went to dealer, told "no you have to book it in" by same person -wouldn't leave as it "could be unsafe" and got them to check the catch while I waited 10mins -they wanted something like a hundred quid just for checking (nothing wrong with it) and I said -tnanks, but sorry, no, and left.

....Don't start me on re-painting jobs!  I've had the arches of my car re-painted recently (diffifult to get anyone during lock-down) and whilst the guy can put paint on -he's certainly not clean and I'm not sure he can see enough to polish the job after as it's a bit of a mess.  Took it back first time -won't be going back second time.  I can do just as well a job dusting off my polishing gear again to blend it in!  £60 in taxis to and fro I'll never see again.

Cars -crooks the lot of them.  Wish I was back in my old place with a four poster lift and spraybake booth!  It's very hard to find a good garage or painter these days.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2020, 07:32:54 am »

Most garages are totally incompetent scammers.

We've been using a village garage for the last 20 years - they've been there forever run by the same family - it's been used in tv shows because it looks like the 1930s - but they are totally reliable, honest and sensible.       

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2020, 07:41:42 am »

I had an issue with my F-Type front brakes which the dealer changer FOC, but a months later it had to go in for its first service and the tech said the front brake pads were 20% worn. When I told him they were replaced a month a go, his reply was we estimate there ware by age of the car and miles, the car had only done 6k and just a year old. Then I asked to speak to the service manager, He was red faced and very apologetic.

Regards David
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.