Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saint Class Rescue Tugs  (Read 3731 times)

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
Saint Class Rescue Tugs
« on: August 04, 2020, 01:40:49 am »

Has anyone out there built a Saint Class Rescue Tug? Or has any drawings, photos or reference of them? Or know of a model of one?

I'm hoping to build a 1/50 version of the St Fergus/Boniface which ended up as the Toia in NZ. I have a basic GA but nothing that shows deck/bridge equipment, vents, lifeboat details, etc.
Anything at all would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: Saint Class Rescue Tugs
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 04:45:00 am »

Sarik have 1:48 drawings.
Some photos on Google

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 12:24:24 pm »

I built a Saint Abbs many years ago from the late Dave Sambrook plans and upped it to 1:36 for steam and ease of crew and it really looked the part. The drawings were in 2 sheets and show the plating etc. and I think the Loyalhanna or Sarik ones may be a single sheet from Phil Thomas, who also has a drawing headed Finbarr & Fergus in his book "British Steam Tugs.This Dutch site shows what may be the original Sambrook ones of Saint Abbs https://www.modelbouwtekeningen.nl/nvm-1011090-st-abbs-admiralty-saint-class-rescue-t.html so it may be worth checking.There is, of course, a paper one that you could use as a dummy https://cfp.muerell.de/albums/35 and since they all differed you can't go far wrong.Good Luck and keep us posted :-))

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 12:12:23 am »

Thanks boys.

I have the Phil Thomas plans and they are fine to build the hull and basic superstructure but quite light on detail. for example: they don't have the 3 portholes on the aft engine room access or show how many windows along the front of the bridge.
The Dutch one Tony mentioned seem to show a bit more detail. The 32 Euro cost plus postage to NZ is a bit of a hurdle.

I've gathered a few photos from the internet but they are mostly boats in profile and don't show any of the deck layout or equipment. The paper model shows a little of what is missing on the plans e.g the salvage pumps.
If anyone out there has a model of one or knows of one, some photos might add a little light to what's not shown in the photos of the real boats.

Thanks

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 09:39:48 am »

Hi Steve,
If you really want to delve further, tryhttps://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb248-ugd207andgb248ugd130/1   this is the Fleming and Ferguson bit of Glasgow University which has builders plans for vessels they built from 1917. If they have the ones for St Boniface then you will know exactly what was intended, but not necessarily what was built!It would seem that the PT plans are a bit limited. The one in the book  has a fair amount of details, including the portholes,but has no lines. If you want me to scan it for you, let me have your e-mail address by personal message. The book also confirms that she was never armed, so guns are out!
No doubt you've got this bit of info ST. BONIFACE (ex-ST. FERGUS), rescue tug, Saint-class, W.20 (11.19). First ships of class ordered 4.18, rest by 8.18. Launched 16. 6.19 Fleming & Ferguson. sold 1955. 800 tons (440grt), 143(oa), 135(pp)x29x12ft. TE 1250ihp, 12.5kts. Armament: 1-12pdr (designed). As rescue tug, was to be equipped with wireless, smoke-generating apparatus and hydrophones, but probably not. Later used as fleet tug and for target-towing. To New Zealand Government 18.3.25, renamed TOIA 4.26
Good Luck
Tony

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 09:13:51 pm »

Thanks Tony. PM sent.
Toia was stationed at my hometown for many years before being broken up. Still holds the record for the largest tug in NZ.
Thanks
Steve

maraval

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 05:22:21 am »

Hi Steve.  Got plans of St. Fergus / St. Finbar.  G A including upperworks and deck plan in my copy of  British Steam Tugs by P N Thomas. I think that they are copies of shipyard plans.  I,m in Dunedin.         Cheers,  Keith

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 10:31:04 pm »

Hi Keith.
I have a couple of PN Thomas drawings as well. Are yours the same as these?
Also managed to find a couple of drawings of the actual Toia.
Haven't been able to find many reference photos but that's not an issue at the moment as I won't be able to start on this one for quite a while – the 'to do' list is chocker. I've already got the Tui, Maui and Busby under construction, and the Te Matua, Hauroko and Orere researched and drawn up and ready for laser cutting.
Now I just have to organise a new house/workshop and get everything out of storage.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2023, 07:43:23 am »

Since the last post here I've got several sets of drawings of the actual St Fergus so the basic sized shape is sorted. Not much information on the details.

Does anyone know of any models of a Saint Class tug – either in private hands or in a museum. I'd like to get a few deck equipment details clarified: windlasses, bollards, pumps, etc.

Any sources for photos? I've given Google a good look, it has a few photos of Saints side on but nothing photographed from on the the boat.

Anything, photos or sources, would be appreciated.

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2023, 09:06:02 pm »

Steve hi buddy she was W20 St Boniface ex st Fergus launched 16 6 1919  Toi. ..a 4/26  I under stand the aussie navy had a few of them in service too good luck on the build buddy tassie48

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2023, 11:27:39 pm »

Steve/tassie48.......

I cannot see any reference to any as built or requisitioned Saint Class Tugs for the RAN in the Publication Australian & New Zealand Warships 1914 - 1945 by Ross Gillwtt ISBN 0 86824095 8

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tassie48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2023, 11:32:15 pm »

Derek look up HMAS ST GILES  she was a Saint class tug tassie48

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2023, 12:18:23 am »

Yep, the Tug St Giles [FY86] appears in the requistioned listing text as 380 gross tons and 135.4 x 29 x 13.6 feet, a good image taken looking on the Port 1/4 with SC on the hull?, but cannot be related to Steves drawings, but no reference as being a Saint Class [photograph as below]

The Tug Heros [FY87] appears as identical dimensions, but 382 gross tons....[may be a typo?], again without an image or reference as being a Saint Class

Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2023, 12:21:46 am »

Yep, the Tug St Giles [FY86] appears in the requistioned listing text as 380 gross tons and 135.4 x 29 x 13.6 feet, a good image taken looking on the Port 1/4 with SC on the hull?, but cannot be related to Steves drawings, but no reference as being a Saint Class [photograph as below]

The Tug Heros [FY87] appears as identical dimensions, but 382 gross tons....[may be a typo?], again without an image or reference as being a Saint Class

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

tassie48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2023, 04:00:55 am »

Derek I could be wrong then  I found her ST GILES on Australian navy  navy.gov.au site under the fleet subtitle  ships boats craft it gave a write up as one of the Saint class of tugs   sorry can't  copy and paste on my ipad 1 tassie48

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2023, 06:27:29 am »

No tassie48, I am sure you are correct.......I simply looked in the Publication I mentioned.......

Many years ago, I met Ross Gillett....at GID in Sydney.......https://navyhistory.au/author/gillr/

However in later years there were some reports of shady dealings?  >>:-( 

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2023, 12:19:10 am »

St Giles was built at the same Fleming & Ferguson yard as ST Boniface. 46 Saints were built over 5 years. The Toia (St Fergus/Boniface) was one of the later ones.

Apparently there is a good model of the Kyuquot (St Florence) in the Vancouver Maritime Museum. St Florence was built at the same time (1918-19) as St Boniface so they should be very similar, although it was built at Crichton's.

Anyone from Vancouver?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.