Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: "Ocean-Dynasty" Australian Tuna vessel  (Read 8107 times)

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
"Ocean-Dynasty" Australian Tuna vessel
« on: August 05, 2020, 03:46:17 am »

Hi there back again with the latest build, she is of a 25 Mtr tuna boat "Ocean-Dynasty" built at North Arm Slipway Port Adelaide South Australia 1980-81. This is my largest build so far at the 1:16 scale she comes in at 62" x 18.75 " or 19 & 1/8" O.A with sponson's  depth  9",  in her stand she has overall height of  4' 6".She has the same motor as the previous model an EMX 202 12 V aircon blower motor  spinning slightly larger 120 MM propeller. I had the plans drawn up and the frames cut out prior to Dec 2019 , but first finished off the dungeon a new working area under the house first so no more sawdust over the cars and blowing up the stairway when entering the house from the garage, as they say Happy wife happy life  ok2 . So started on her through January and finished about midd July. The back bone and frames are of Tassy oak ( frames are 30mm deep x 18 mm wide) ..cheers..
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: "Ocean-Dynasty" Australian Tuna vessel
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 03:46:10 pm »

That’s a big boat  O0   Looking forward to this one Brian and good to have you back on the forum too  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 10:45:11 pm »

Amen  :-))  its always a special occasion to see such craftsmen and women doing their art. I love the little touches such as using a strip of different wood for a certain job.
Pond weed is your enemy

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 04:15:44 am »

Hi guys, good to be back , I meant to start this post off a couple months back ? with the first photo looking into the new dug out L shaped dungeon (never big enough), starting to install her frames and as you can see  she has a decent beak on her.This time I put small castor wheels under the base to make it easier to turn her around, and last photo running her chine stringer through... :-)) .cheers..
Brian  B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 06:46:52 pm »

That dungeon/mancave looks amazing, what with the sink and good lighting and walls screaming to be covered with tools and cool gubbins :) I know what you mean about never having enough space Brian, you could have built a warehouse and still ended up filling it with stuff!
Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 11:15:05 pm »

BB...

I went to the WEB page for the Ocean Dynasty build...... https://www.wcpfc.int/node/18901 and whilst certain data is provided, it didn't confirm form of construction

With the bluff hull frames & hull bottom we see with the model, was she a steel hull?

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 01:22:55 am »

Hi Ballastanksian ,yes makes a difference ,and on cold chilly days like it is today just leave the roller door down  :-) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 01:25:03 am »

Hi Derekwarner, yes she was a steely ,and in that link you put up the photo of her there was later after she was lengthened for Purse seining...
Brian  B

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 02:19:14 am »

Thanks BB.........

Are you cutting your own 30 x 18 mm section Tassie Oak frame material, or is it a Bunnings product?

As a flatish steel build, will you be deviating from your usual planked hull construction to marine ply sheeting for the flatness & just planking at the L shaped intersections?

Looking forward to Watching the build as usual :-))

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 03:22:44 am »

Hi Derekwarner , ripping the frames and beams etc  on the saw bench, yes not planking just ply and glassing the inside .....
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 03:56:47 am »

Hi there , first photo ribbing on the deadwood area, with the transom I had a memory lapse when I cut it out and fitted ( I knew it had a curved transom ?) so had to re shape it so it made the model slightly longer ( if I don't tell any one they won't pick it up  :-)) ), easy build this one with the sheeting the frames with ply will be glassing the inside, and showing the end result of having to bodge her tail (any way will be nice and strong)  cheers   ;) .
Brian  B

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 09:39:05 pm »

Super nice and tight work with that ply. Very satisfying.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2020, 12:53:14 am »

Morning, fitted the nose cone in 2 pieces of 1.5 mm ply, the piece of ply at deck level is only there temporary , just to maintain the shape while fitting the flair around her shoulder etc.
Used Tassy oak for her heel and false keel running under her towards the bow area.Cutting out the ply for the entrance ways at the bulkhead to the accommodation area etc and fitted.....cheers   :-) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2020, 10:55:12 pm »

Morning, next section of photo's,are of bow section plated up ,then after taking the temporary section of ply from the bow area then laminated the inside of the bulwark's around the bow section, then ripping some more Tassy oak up for deck beams , and the arrival of her motor ....cheers.. :-)
Brian  B

RST

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2020, 11:25:35 pm »

Wow, was going to say only taranis can build this quick then I noticed comment in first post!! LoL

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2020, 09:30:41 am »

I really like the shape of these trawlers the bow looks so pointed its looks dangerous  %%   Its staring to take shape now Brian  :-))

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2020, 10:41:34 am »

Hi Mark T,  yes down south they like their fishing vessels with hooked noses or over exaggerated clipper bows ?  O0 .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2020, 10:57:09 am »

Hi,  Some more photo's for the day , extra beams pre fitted as will make it easier to glass the inside of the hull before fixing them into position.I didn't use glass matting with the resin I used cut offs of heavy fly screen , I resined some of this a couple years ago and showed no signs of de laminating etc, gave her 2 coats of resin, before sanding then painting white undercoat then sprayed white gloss enamel...cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2020, 07:46:15 pm »

Cracking work akin to that of member MissyD , a pleasure to watch  :-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2020, 08:22:38 am »

Hi there, All the fly screen matting in with 2 coats of resin, the battery box for the 2 x 12 V batteries which will be wired in line , this will sit forward of the motor.Pre fitted side railings for the top deck area beside the wave breaker, pre fitting the motor base, and last 2 photo's after she was undercoated then sprayed with white enamel gloss...cheers   :-))
Brian  B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2020, 11:26:11 pm »

When you mentioned ply I was suspicious for a second thinking that our Brian had been abducted and replaced by someone who didn't realise what the real Brian can do with traditional wood! Then I saw your surgical work with the ply and knew you were the real deal  :-)  I reckon I could get more putty under my thumb nail than you needed to fair the joins in the skin.

Super work Brian  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 03:58:49 am »

Hi Ballastanksian, very kind words ( where would you like the cheque sent to  ok2 ) I know I used that and a bit more of Plasti Bond up the bow area to achieve the smooth look instead of the joined plating look.I finally got onto some 1:16 scale figurines .Showing the underside of the top deck aft section ( awning), easier to fit the beams etc before glueing it all down.Installing the wave breaker staunchon post...cheers   :-)) ...
Brian  B

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2020, 01:31:28 pm »

I always like watching your builds, it’s like watching a real boat being built!  :-)) :-))

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2020, 05:03:05 am »

Thank you Dreadnaught  :-) . Hi there, the pre fitted bulwarks extend down below deck level bit more strength , then braced into position prior to fitting the staunchon post ( a lot quicker than fitting all the post then planking, as they say horses for courses ? ) , after fitting each post ,then glue a dowel on the post edge which fits through the deck for extra strength.On the corners of the transom's bulwarks fitted tapered pieces to aquire the curve, same as was done below deck area on the transom's corners.The next 2 photo's show what can and does happen when you have a brain fade moment  :embarrassed: ,had the model laying on it's side on the table just finished fitting thelast tappered corner sections turned and walked about 5 ft (was a bit windy that day) had gust of wind come in and she rolled off the table with an a;mighty bang when she bounced on the cement, was expecting the worst but luckily she only damaged the S.b side on her shoulder in front of the wave braker, had to fix the side rail bulwark and section of deck  <:( . When I went up top for a coffee my Lovely wanted to know what the loud crash was , told her , her remark was how come I didn't hear you swear, said yeah surprised myself to  O0 ...So once again have proven that as you get older you don't get smarter  ok2 ...cheers.
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2020, 10:55:55 am »

Some more photo's of the build for the day, and the start of the w-house  :-) cheers.
Brian  B
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.