Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Ocean-Dynasty" Australian Tuna vessel  (Read 8104 times)

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: "Ocean-Dynasty" Australian Tuna vessel
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2020, 11:09:05 am »

Hi there thanks guys  :-) .Next up the rudder , from 1/8" brass plate, I made this one different to the last model's rudder, I have the rudder stock threaded so as to screw down through the top plate and also into the tubing ( on the rudder) then pinned (hasn't moved so far ).The next photo is a bracket at the back of the top w-house for the outboard to sit in .Now with these next photo's aren't to do with the build but has with some of my other model builds, I got onto 1 & half glass cabinet's from a second hand place, so took a few days off the build to work out how it went together , had a spare area in the garage to install it, it didn't come with any glass shelving so those pieces cost me nearly half of what the rest had cost me , would have liked to put 1 larger model in the centre of the display cabinet, but the cabinet needed to be a few inchs wider (which it wasn't) so at this stage they will have to satay scattered throughout the house and dungeon....cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2020, 11:53:01 pm »

Morning  :-) ...With the lettering under the shoulders on this model ,because they forward no fonts available so back to the drawing board , when finished I took photo's of the lettering's and the crest and sent them off to my friend as he was going to shrink them down for me to print off, he informed me I had the N's back the front on the port side (What ??? not happy Jan  >>:-( ) so instead of re doing the whole name again I cheated and re did the N's and spliced them in  O0 . Next photo's gave the outside hull her 1st coat of white gloss and the deck her 2nd and last coat.Bit slack this time with the motor no dummy engine cover ,but she did get a lick of paint and some transfers  O0 .And sticking the windows in the top w-house...cheers  :-)) ....
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2020, 11:02:54 am »

Just catching up with your build and its looking amazing; that rudder must weigh a fair bit and will help with the ballast. I have to say though - what a way to display your boats.  They look great all together in the cabinet and what a collection too  :-))

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2020, 10:47:59 pm »

Hi Mark T, I think I need a few more cabinets though, trouble with building more or larger models would cost more in cabinets to house them ,as this one is number 29  :-) .With these next section of photo's selection of print outs on the ink jet water slide paper, and the hull given her 2nd coat of white gloss enamel.With the name tags for the stand I got caught ,I put it down to not waiting long enough ( like the following day ?) to apply the clear laquer coating , as within a couple of minutes of spray it actually changed some of the colouring under the water slide and also bubbled the gloss enamel (Not happy Jan  <:( ) so had to sand them both back to timber and start again (luckily had spare print outs) so held my breath when spraying the second attempt  :-)) .Nearly forgot about the top side bollards made those from my .357 mag shells ( left over from shark shooting days off the trawler,,oops sorry is that politically incorrect  ok2 ) so brass and copper soldered.And painting the first coat of her Royal Blue trimmings, Cheers.. :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2020, 10:27:48 am »

Hi there, well another beautiful day in paradise down here, well here we go, re designed the 120 mm prop for the model, also while I was in the mood I also worked on a 100 mm prop that I may install on another earlier model.All the bits n pieces all painted and ready to go. The previous model which was parked in the trolley sat it on the bench so as to modify the trolley for the slightly longer and wider model..Cheers   :-)) ..
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2020, 12:09:59 pm »

Good save with the transfers Brian; it just goes to show you have to have a bit of patience and a sense of humour when boat building  O0   When I saw your propellers apart from the huge size of them they look like martial arts throwing stars  :o   Beautiful work as always  :-))

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2020, 07:40:51 pm »

I am intrigued - what is the intention behind the prop modification?  It's very well done and looks real sexy, but why?  Surely the reduction in area results in less drive, or is there some obscure effect taking place that makes that shape more efficient?  I know some submarines had highly skewed props like that, but I thought that was more to do with cutting down the acoustic signature of the propeller.  Do tell us why!

Greg

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2020, 08:02:08 pm »

The props is how they make them Tuna chunks  %%
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2020, 04:47:52 am »

Hi guy's ...They do look a bit like them Mark T , I dare say they would probably work with the same result if hit by one ( better keep them away from the Wife  )  ok2 . Hi Sailor Greg,,,,Why ?  Well its like when my Wife say's 'What did you do that for' ???  Because I can  O0 ,I find that they seem to have a smoother cut through the water ,have quicker pick up from low to high revs, and in reverse with the less blade area no cavitation giving a quicker response pulling up in probably 1/3 the distance of the prop I replaced with one of these on a previous model.But that's only my own personal experience using them, yes Taranis I'd hate to put my fingers any where near them, I don't know about tuna chunks but I dare say there would be a few fish fingers spat out,,,cheers :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2020, 06:51:36 am »

Hi there, next lot of shots of the build,,, Before and after spraying her final coat of her bottom in my spraying booth, the water slides on the w-house eyebrow and on the exhaust stacks.The rigging all finished, the mast and exhaust stacks will separate from the w-house, but I can leave it how it is for transporting, it wont fit in the back of the Tuscon (height) but sits on the front passenger seat.Working on the wiring for the RC side of it, and the name tags for the stand thankfully turned out with no more stuff ups .The motor attached to her base prior to fitting her into the hull...cheers   :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2020, 12:47:18 am »

Morning, in for my coffee break so good time to attach some more photo's.Laying her on her side doing few touch ups on the blue trimming, some shots of the Beech timber capping around the top decks railing, view of the hull all ready for the bits n pieces to be refitted to her, and last minute item I nearly forgot the fog horn which connects to the radar stand ,made these from 2 pieces of plastic bits i was given by another club member...cheers   :-))
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2020, 03:34:33 am »

Hi there, some shots of her finished, the model comes in at 21.5 Kg or 47.3 lbs ( no batteries & ballast)  cheers.. :-))
Brian  B

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2020, 04:11:06 am »

Beautiful  :-))  I would love to see pictures of her on the water.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2020, 09:13:56 am »

Wow another beautiful boat to add to your collection  :-))   I would also like to see some pictures of it on the water as it will look amazing.  So what's the next project Brian???

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2020, 10:15:39 am »

Looks great!  :-)) :-)) :-))

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2020, 07:27:18 pm »

Fantastic, again!! :-))
Hama

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2020, 10:37:05 pm »

Morning guys,Thank you for all the comments ,just a couple of her here on the water (in this post) , the next post has her performing on the water.She has 2 x 12 V batteries (hull & batteries 23.5 Kg) on her first trial she had 16 Kg of ballast ,then on her next trials she had 20 Kg ,could put more in to push her down to her fully loaded capacity but no need to she runs nice through the water and stable while doing sharp turns (yes she is over powered but rather that than not enough grunt).Answer to your question Mark T , I have 2 on the go at present ,after making 4 at the same time a couple yrs ago said never again (so only half lied  O0 ), they are on the smaller side compared to this last one , another 2 trawlers from our home port of Brunswick heads one at 37.5 inch's the other at 33.75 inch's both chine hulls,,,cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2020, 11:45:49 pm »

That's really good looking boat. Might just about be my favourite so far.
Well done, better start planning a bigger cabinet.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2020, 10:47:47 am »

Hi there, Hi Steve yes very happy with her turn out , actually need quite a few more cabinets  O0 .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2020, 10:55:16 am »

Hit the wrong key  :embarrassed: ,well here is the last section of photo's of her (if I knew how to put up vidoe's up would do ?).We had picture perfect morning for her launching, they always shrink when you get them on the water till you have to drag them out and load back into the car, catch you later Cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2020, 01:05:26 pm »

Beautiful.   :-)) :-)) :-))
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.