Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Lesro Javelin  (Read 35767 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
Re: Lesro Javelin
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2020, 02:41:11 pm »

Hi Zooma
Power (Watts) is volts times Amps !!!
As for twin brushless motors drop to motor body length and you drop power.

Comparing the 3648-1450kv, the Banggood Surpass Hobby C3542-1450kv is 1050Watts on 4S pulling 78Amps.
I have just put one in my old speed boat(740mm length)  to up it from the C3542-1250kv.

Prop is a 3 blade 28mm.

These dam good motors, I bought one as a trail and another three after that!!

Canabus

Hi Canabus,

Now that is very interesting - and somewhat spoils my theory about the longer can motors being better!

You compare my favourite Turnigy 3648-1450 motor  with the shorter Surpass 3542-1450.

What is the main difference you have found between them?

I just happen to have a new Surpass 3542-1450 motor here - maybe I should try it in my Javelin rather than trying to find another Turnigy 3648-1450 ?

It is certainly a lot less expensive motor (maybe be not quite so pretty to look at) but a bargain if it works as well!

Bob.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2020, 03:20:08 am »

Hi Zooma

Hope to test the 3542-1450 on Saturday depends on our winter weather.
The prop is a 3blade 28mm, so it will load to motor up more than a 32mm 2blade.

I will have to change the ESC to one which handles 4S.
Surpass have a few others I would like to test out.

Canabus

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2020, 11:12:13 am »

Hi Zooma
A nice winter's morning and old speed boat with the C3542-1450kv on 4S was on song, but, I feel like the 3 blade prop was loading the motor at the top end.
The motor has not got the torque of the 3648-1450kv, but still a dam good motor for under a 30" boat.

Next test is to a 2 blade prop !!!

The Surpass 3674-1580kv looks like an interesting replacement for the 3648-1450kv!!!!

I must finish the limo Swordsman I started years ago !!!!

Canabus

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2020, 11:36:51 am »

Hi Canabus,

Thanks for the progress report about the Surpass 3542-1450 in your old speed boat - it sounds like it could be a good option to consider for my Vic Smeed Remora as that has a shallow hull and is about 30" long.

I have not seen the Surpass 3674-1580KV motor but it has the right numbers to give the Turnigy 3648-1450KV a run for its money, so let me know if you test one as the Surpass motors are good and are not expensive to buy.

Your "limo" Swordsman project looks good - it almost has the pointed nose of the Rapier/Javelin and with the hull extended it must be getting close to being the same length too (39") so it could be an ideal candidate for the 3674-1580KV Surpass motor  :-))

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2020, 07:41:41 pm »

Hi Zooma
A nice winter's morning and old speed boat with the C3542-1450kv on 4S was on song, but, I feel like the 3 blade prop was loading the motor at the top end.
The motor has not got the torque of the 3648-1450kv, but still a dam good motor for under a 30" boat.

Next test is to a 2 blade prop !!!

The Surpass 3674-1580kv looks like an interesting replacement for the 3648-1450kv!!!!

I must finish the limo Swordsman I started years ago !!!!

Canabus

Hi Harry. 

Regarding the Surpass 3674-1580KV

Is that the model car in-runner motor (in a red can)?

I have never tried an in-runner in a model boat, but it looks like it will fit onto the alloy water-cooled mounts that I fit into all my hulls, so it could be worth a try.

Bob.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2020, 08:31:20 am »

Hi Zooma
I have the plans of the Remora in 30 and 34", which is close to my 28" Waverider.
The 3674-1580 is an in runner with 25mm mount hole spacing.
I think it would out run the 3548-1450 !!!!

The Swordsman has a 1500 in it which is not available now.
I lengthen the Swordsman to get the batteries between the frames.
Also built in the spray and chine rails into the bottom of the hull.
I had an old IC (Southern Cross) deep vee with the chine rails built into it and it was a super dry running boat in rough water.
So I decided to try that on the Swordsman !!!
What a nightmare it turnout to be !!!!

But I with finish it.

Canabus

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2020, 11:42:29 am »

Thanks for the reply Harry,

Your "limo" Swordsman build is very interesting and I think the red can model car motor is well worth a try at only £20 from Bangood currently!

Strangely enough I have been considering designing a "Swordmanish" cabin shape to fit on my Javelin as I think it may look better than the ocean racer original and i thought it would be unique - but may end up looking a bit like your limo Swordsman - and the same sort of size too..

I still have the December 1964 Model Maker magazine that was delivered to my parents house by our local newsagent. I had it delivered every month as it sometimes sold out before I could get down to my local model shop in Bath (The Modellers Den) and I still have the free Christmas plan that I built my first Remora from, and it is being used again now to build my current Remora (almost finished and at the painting stage).

The original Vic Smeed plan was 30" - I never knew that there was a 34" lengthened version - maybe somebody scaled it up - was it ever available in print?

Stay safe!

Bob.

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2020, 11:51:22 am »

Hi Canabus,

Thanks for the progress report about the Surpass 3542-1450 in your old speed boat - it sounds like it could be a good option to consider for my Vic Smeed Remora as that has a shallow hull and is about 30" long.

I have not seen the Surpass 3674-1580KV motor but it has the right numbers to give the Turnigy 3648-1450KV a run for its money, so let me know if you test one as the Surpass motors are good and are not expensive to buy.

Your "limo" Swordsman project looks good - it almost has the pointed nose of the Rapier/Javelin and with the hull extended it must be getting close to being the same length too (39") so it could be an ideal candidate for the 3674-1580KV Surpass motor  :-))

Bob.

Hello

I see you are considering using a 3542-1450 motor in your remora, I think this motor would be more than adequate for a remora, I run mine with a 3535-1250 motor on 3s lipo with a s40 prop and it gives excellent performance
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2020, 01:04:37 pm »

Hi Lads

I had the plans of the Remora resize by 113% to 863mm(34"). by the local print shop.
I have it save as a PDF if you are interested.
I save a number of plans on PDF.
I find a 28 to 36" boat is a good size to build and to get radio and batteries into.
The last boat was a Eileen fishing boat with a lift out deck section between the hatch and wheelhouse.
Canabus

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2020, 01:44:36 pm »

Hello

I see you are considering using a 3542-1450 motor in your remora, I think this motor would be more than adequate for a remora, I run mine with a 3535-1250 motor on 3s lipo with a s40 prop and it gives excellent performance

Hi Leaky Bottom,

I have not finished painting my Remora yet (run-out of French Blue paint!), but I have already chosen a lower power brushless motor for it as the Remora was designed as a steering model.  My previous Remora (circa 1969ish) had an OS40 marine motor in it (it started with an OS 21 marine motor) and it ran quite nicely.  I know that the Remora is capable of handling seriously bigger power units, but I am starting with a more modest motor as I already have a few adrenaline pumping model boats and (to start with at least) I will enjoy sailing it at a similar speed to my OS40 powered original.

Some threads tend to naturally "veer-off" topic and accumulate interesting information that is not directly related to the main theme - and this can make a very interesting thread (like this one) - but it can also get a bit confusing too!

The mention of the bigger sized and alternative motors started because my first choice of motor for my Javelin (the 3648-1450) is not currently available and it may have possibly even been discontinued.

I have been using the 3648-1450 motor in my restored Rapier (same hull as the Javelin) where it has performed really well and so (if it were available) I would choose to fit another one in my Javelin - and possibly in my next Swordsman build too!

Naturally when recommendations are offered for suitable alternative motors they will be accompanied by references to how these motors have performed on other hulls as a helpful reference and that is what is happening here - and it is VERY helpful as it gives me a good idea of how they could perform in my Javelin.

I am really pleased that this Javelin thread has attracted such helpful contributions and they have all been interesting to read and contributed a lot for me to think about.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2020, 04:39:07 am »

Hi Zooma
Check up on the 3648-1450kv Hobbyking have drop it off their website !!!

I am lucky, I have two spares in my bits box!!!

Canabus

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2020, 10:46:03 am »

It looks like the older range of Turnigy motors (those with the red/black colours) have all been discontinued.

Maybe the newer SK3 range will have a similar offering sometime soon (fingers crossed).  I have an SK3 3542-1250 on order ready to test in my Rapier.

Hobby King claim :-   "Turnigy SK3 Motors are the next leap forward in motor quality and design".

Maybe the motor will surprise me by performing better than expected......and give me longer run times than my "old" 3648-1450 too!

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2020, 11:20:37 am »

Hi Zooma

I have  a few SK3 motors, they are good ones.

Hobbyking as stop have a lot of stuff over the last four years, so I am more looking at Banggood.
Checkout the local hobby shop today.
Mtroniks Marine 15($75 au) Viper Marine 25($99.95au) Marine 30($105au) Hydra 30($205au).

Banggood Quicrun 1060 Brush ESC 60Amp $37.84au + postage $3.82au, order 2 and 10% discount same postage !!!
The connectors are rubbish, but easily change to gold 3mm and XT60 !!!
Canabus

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2020, 11:26:31 am »

Thanks Harry,

MTronics are "local" to me but (stranegly enough) I had not thought about using their speed controllers - I usually use SeaKing or the Turnigy branded versions of them.

I always use water-cooled speed controllers - but I know that you don't - so what have you found that works well with the 3648-1450?

Bob.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2020, 11:48:17 am »

Hi Bob

The club was using Hobbyking car ESC's, so I used them.
But not available so change to Surpass car ESC 120Amp 2-6S (ID 1427492)($63.29au) with the Racestar Program card( ID 1057127)($11.34au).

These workout to be about the same price as the Hobbyking ones, but handle 2-6S not 2-4S also handle 20Amps more!!!

These have an electric fan on top so cooling is not a problem and as the 3548-1450 is an outrunner.
So I never added water cooling to any of my boats !!!

Too many fast runs and the old boys get a bit upset !!!

I do when I run my fishing boats !!!!

SIR Harry

Senior

In

Retirement

Soon to be a great grandfather !!!!

I am too young for it !!!

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2020, 02:11:31 pm »

Thanks for the info Sir Harry, Senior (retired),

I may try a non-water-cooled set-up in the Javelin using a brushless motor with a car speedo (with fan) and see how it goes.

I am also retired Harry and I will be 71 at the start of September, and our three sons have produced 5 grand children so far (plus one via a previous marriage) and we have another fresh one due towards the end of the year!

Our sons live away so we don't get to see the grandchildren as often as we would like, but it is always nice to see them when we can.

Stay strong - you will get over it - and the next ones won't seem such a blow to you!

Bob.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2020, 10:19:30 am »

Hi Spring Chicken
I was 71 in July !!!

Our little Poppet arrived at 1.27am this morning.

Talk about up before the sparrows !!!!

Mother and great granddaughter all OK !!!

So they are in the middle of Melbourne, so we can not visit.

The other two grand kids are one in Sydney and the other in Queensland !!!
Talked to all of them on Zoom on Sunday .
Harry

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2020, 10:48:36 am »

Congratulations Grandad  :-)) 

That must have been very stressful for you - time to sit down and have a nice mug of cocoa in front of the fire (with your slippers on).

You have got to be careful at your age, so stay safe and take it easy!

Bob.  (young Bob). %)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2020, 11:18:57 am »

Congratulations from me as well Harry.

Young Chris only 66 for three more months.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2020, 11:41:37 am »

Hi Lads
Thank you for you replies, but sitting down having a few cold beers.

Cocoa, I am that old !!!!

Only a few days until the end of Winter !!!

Only windy Autumn and into the good stuff.

Safe and free to travel our little island.

A dozen boats at our last meeting !!!

Great Grand Pop

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2020, 03:43:44 am »

Hi Bob and Chris

Photo of my old speed boat with the C3542-1450kv, 4S lipo and a 3blade 30mm prop.
This is about half speed for the camera man !!!

Harry

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2020, 09:46:22 am »

Hello Harry,

Thats a nice brightly coloured boat - and it looks like the C3542-1450 motor shoves it along quite nicely.

How does the model compare with the Javelin's 39" length? 

Also, are you using the Surpass 120amp car ESC in it?

I have sent away for one of these speedos and I already have a C3542-1450 so I am wondering if this could be a combo for me to try as my first "non-water-cooled" motor and ESC combo in the Javelin, but I am also thinking about trying a pair of them in my 48" Corvette as that is a big hull with plenty of air space in it to help with the air flow cooling.

Pleased to see your winter weather is not looking too bad either!

Bob.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2020, 10:16:49 am »

Hi Bob
The old School Speed Boat is 28 and 1/2 x 8 and 7/8".

Using a Hobbyking car ESC 100 Amps.

The Surpass 120Amp is in my Precedent Huntsman with 3548-1450kv, 4S Nano Tech Lipo 90C and a 2 blade 40mm CNC prop.

Twin C3542's the  48" should work OK, that's 2100 Watts on 4S.

Two more 120Amp ESC turnup today !!!

Harry

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2020, 11:22:04 am »

Talking of motors here is my latest project, a Huntress with stern-drive with 36mm 2 bladed prop, it is being fitted with an Overlander 35/36 1050kV. At 23" it should go pretty well.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2020, 01:26:52 pm »

Hi Chris
If you change to a C3542-1450 on 4S she will sit up on the prop in a straight line.

Harry
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.