Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Lesro Javelin  (Read 35833 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
Re: Lesro Javelin
« Reply #275 on: May 27, 2021, 10:59:02 pm »

Hi Zooma

The 3648-1450kv works better on 3S and is a beast on 4S !!!
Try series up the 2S batteries if the ESC can handle it and drop to a 40mm prop to start with.

Canabus

Thanks Harry,

The 3648 is almost the same diameter as the 3864 but is quite a bit shorter?  I don't know what sort of difference that will make?

I will try the closest size that I have to yours (3864- 1580KV) on an S40 prop to start with and see how it goes. I hope it will run well enough and (with some luck) it will give me longer run times than I get with the Turnigy in Rapier1 (same hull).

I bought the 3864-2250KV motor on your recommendation some time back as a rival for the Turnigy 3648-1450 out-runner (as it is no loner available) to use as an alternative "powerhouse" motor that may be able to rival the out-runner for outright speed. 

At the time these motors were only £20 each so I bought one a month so I have the three sizes mentioned to see what works best in the Javelin and they will also have future homes in the Swordsman and Rapier2. With some luck I will find one that will be best suited to each hull.

The Turnigy out-runner goes really well on a two cell pack making it fast enough for our club lake and really "interesting" on three cells and likes running on a S50 or an X50 prop - but to be honest it makes little or no difference what prop I try with this motor in Rapier1 - it just goes!

Do you have any suggestions regarding propeller sizes (to start with) for the three new motors driving the 39" LesRo hulls?

3674-2250KV......

3674-1900KV.....

3674-1580KV..........S40  ?

Enjoy your weekend!

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #276 on: May 27, 2021, 11:07:01 pm »

Hey Bob that’s distinctive red paint! If I got my finger out and finished my Javelin I could give you some useful data on the inrunner that I have at 1900kV!  {-)

All you need is an old tin of non-drip paint and a 6" paintbrush and you could be ready to run in no time   O0

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #277 on: May 28, 2021, 09:21:34 am »

Hi zooma;

You have been doing very good jobs so far with Lesro Javelin and I feel you are facing very serious matters of what to select
for the drive system for the essentially important points for the RCed higher boat.
Here are the pics of my way for my Jupiter F-99(1m long) which is nearly the same length as yours of 39 inch long.
I put here the pictures of my combinations of drive system for the JupiterF-99 only for your reference.
She is a semi-scale cabin cruiser and therefore not intended for speed-seeking boat at all, but intended for a compatible speed with her graceful appearance.!! O0 %%
1;As for the motor,capable of producing 2200 KV and 1200watts
2;The batteries are 3S 5000mAh class by which she is able to run about/over 15 minutes each and  have 4-6 packs.
3;I could enjoy the sailing with these batteries nearly a day including chatting times with some fellow modelers.. {-) O0
4/5;The prop is 46mm dia with P1.4 perhaps???which I'm not sure.. {:-{
6;She could go on the rough surface of the lake by the north wind in the -mid winter like this. O0
7;My Jupiter cruising on a calm surface in a certain December..

Please feel the sailing scene and atmosphere by the following video,though the speed is not so fast but I am satisfied with this level as she is not a racer but a queen of the lake at this time.!! {-)

taka's model boat **Mr SKG's JUPITER 2 - YouTube

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #278 on: May 28, 2021, 05:58:29 pm »

Thanks Backerther - that gives me a starting point for the 2250mah motor - I will try a 45mm prop first on 3 cells and see how it goes.
Stay safe,
Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #279 on: June 04, 2021, 09:01:11 pm »

As I was manhandling the stand for the Javelin around in the air during my efforts to paint it (brush in one hand - stand in the other) I clouted the back end of the Javelin cabin side and snapped it off!  >:-o

I have glued it back on again and added a couple of brass pins to strengthen the repair.

It is not easy to move about without unintentionally bumping into something now and again in such a small shed(workshop) as mine, and I am usually lucky enough to get away with it - but not this time!

As I have not finished painting the stand yet (!)  I have also added some brass pins to the other side.............because you never know.....

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #280 on: June 05, 2021, 09:40:37 am »

While painting the Stand?

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #281 on: June 05, 2021, 10:10:13 am »

How embarrassing!  <:(

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #282 on: June 05, 2021, 01:09:12 pm »

At least you are busy working on your boat. Mine hasn’t succumbed to any recent self inflicted damage as I’ve been busy doing other things. I did manage to drop mine on the floor and break off the rubbing strip point at the front a few weeks ago!

Yours will be like new again soon. One does feel daft though!
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #283 on: June 05, 2021, 01:47:37 pm »

Thanks Stuw - you make me feel a little bit better !   :-))

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #284 on: July 05, 2021, 09:50:39 pm »

I have completed the repair of my self-inflicted damage so I can now look forward to making some more progress !

The motor mount has been fixed into the hull with the water-cooled alloy motor mount to keep my motor options open for the future.

As a matter of interest, Harry let me know that the Turnigy 3648-1450 is now available again from Hobby King :-))

I have checked, and they have them here in their UK stock too!

This is a monster power motor  - and not expensive either. It will shove the Javelin along at least as quickly as it does in my Rapier on 2C and on 3C it will probably grow a pair of horns and at 4C...................it will be very fast!

.............just a thought - if you have enough water to take advantage of it.

Unfortunately our water at Southport is too small to make good use of this motor (even on 2C) and is why I am running the smaller (slower) Surpass motor at the moment  -  and to be courteous to the other club members who don't want their nice scale models being swamped in my wake! 

But, I have been known to go to the lake on a non-club day when the taps can be opened-up without causing any problems or upsetting anyone, and then it is only the size of the lake that can become the restricting factor !   O0

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #285 on: February 22, 2022, 11:39:05 am »

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #286 on: February 23, 2022, 10:04:43 pm »

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #287 on: February 25, 2022, 07:22:01 am »

Spot on.😁

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #288 on: March 25, 2022, 06:54:23 pm »

I recently spent quite some time looking for a bigger, good quality double servo arm for one of my builds (Swordsman) and some 2mm/3mm ball-end connecters. Found what I wanted in the end and fortunately found and bought the Fastrax servo arm.

If only I'd written down in my notebook, which I usually do, the items linked to by Stu and Bob, about 12 months ago I would have saved myself some time and determined searching! Doh!

The servo arm (single and double and ball-end connecters) are now my go to items and I have a few in stock.

Interesting that there was also mention of a Javelin fitted with an outboard as well, albeit a now defunct EBay link.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #289 on: March 26, 2022, 04:34:16 pm »

You should have asked me to search my inbox of purchases! There is some great stuff on here but it gets buried in pages of info so takes some concerted digging!

The Javelin with outboard I spotted on EBay USA if I recall and shipping to UK was pretty steep obviously. The seller didn’t know what it wasn’t but I spotted the distinctive Javelin lines!

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #290 on: March 26, 2022, 05:02:43 pm »

Hi Stu

Yes there is. Trouble is you forget what there is sometimes, which is why I usually make a note of things. I really like those servo arms.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #291 on: March 27, 2022, 11:44:55 am »

Hi Chris,

This UK model shop has a very good range of alloy servo arms to fit just about every make, size and type of servo and usually delivers "next day".

The reason for such a good choice is their involvement in large scale model car racing where servo arms tend to come under a lot more pressure than they would in less strenuous applications and they have a 35 year + experience of what works and fits to share with us.

I like to fit alloy servo arms because they look good, and it is nice to have a proper engineered "fit" to the servo output splines.

........but it is also good to know that they are not likely to break!  :-))

https://www.kingcobra.co.uk/search.asp?keyword=Servo&sortby=0&page=2&catid=

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #292 on: March 27, 2022, 03:11:54 pm »

Thanks Bob

I see they have the Fastrax ones which are my standard servo arms now. I use Hitec servos and when I was searching previously I struggled to find much for the 24T splines before I came across the Fastrax ones.

Whilst the plastic ones are strong enough for many of my applications, as you say it is good to have a nicely engineered solution when you can.

Chris

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #293 on: April 16, 2022, 09:20:38 pm »

With the summer coming and weekends away in the van, I don’t think the workshop (shed) will be seeing too much activity until later in the year.
Now is the time to enjoy the boats that have taken the time to build and restore and to get out and enjoy seeing them perform on the water.
I have plenty of projects to keep me busy over the winter, and a few that need minor time to complete, so I will try to get them finished to leave a clear bench ready to start building again at the end of the year.
Happy sailing!

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #294 on: April 22, 2022, 08:42:23 pm »

Happy Sailing!  :-))

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #295 on: April 23, 2022, 09:14:55 am »

Happy Sailing!  :-))

Thanks Stuw.
The Rapier will be out on the club lake tomorrow 👍

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #296 on: April 24, 2023, 10:58:38 am »

Well just over a year since my last post on here and I’ve been revisiting the info on here.

I haven’t done anything on the boat in that time. It’s buried under all sorts on my (non) workbench. All I need is some time...or to make time for it.

What brought me here again?  eBay search highlighted another Graupner Pegasus 3 - so I did a search on here and reminded myself why not to go for it. Massive, tricky kit with poor parts. At 1.2m long and recalling my wife stating no more boats to cross the threshold any time soon, I decided to not enter a bid!

But I prefer a smaller wooden project so should get back to my favourite Lesro models (snuck in a Lesro Sportsman unbuilt kit and I think I got away with it - save that for the future).

[/size]Perhaps in the next year I shall make time to sort out my Javelins? Can’t guarantee it though...[size=78%]

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #297 on: April 24, 2023, 11:12:07 am »

The Lesro Sportsman (original type) has so far eluded me, but an unbuilt kit would be really tempting!

I hope you get away with it and you are able to build it without your wife seeing it  %%

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #298 on: April 24, 2023, 12:49:23 pm »

Hi Stuw

I have been looking for a Sportsman for a few years, but, the only ones I found had no Global Postage.

Would you PDF the plans, please ???

I just ended up with 300 model boat plans, some on PDF and others on paper.
Some of the paper plans are going take a some time as the paper is very old and has been folded for years.
E.G. Original Aerokits plans !!! 

Started on a database which is my winter project !!!
106 on the database so far.

Harry

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #299 on: April 24, 2023, 01:17:47 pm »

The Sportsman's a nice little model and I might be tempted at some point myself. Plans would be great, if they don't show the bulkheads I can soon draw those up.

Be interesting to see what's on the list Harry. You will have a good collection with those and the ones you've already got.

Now sit down lads, I've actually got the RC installation in one of my builds! It's in the Huntress with the stern-drive and I'm really interested to see how it performs. Will try it before I finish the superstructure.

Chris
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.