Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem setting up radio equipment  (Read 1255 times)

Paul Aust

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Problem setting up radio equipment
« on: August 02, 2020, 12:32:03 pm »

Hi all bought a d3536/6 brushless motor, plus a 50amp speed controller, the problem I have is bought a flysky transmitter 6 channel, when i first tried to get it working, the right hand stalk was operating the rudder servo, the left stalk operated the motor but only one way, problem i thought? Tried to sort out on computer linked to transmitter, now I cant get anything to operate!!! My main question is should the motor work in both directions?  Ie so that I have forward and reverse operation like you would have on a car.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
Re: Problem setting up radio equipment
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 01:00:09 pm »

Hi, it depends on wether you have bought a forwards and reverse speed controller
Some Brushless speed controls are forwards only, mainly for use in aeroplanes.
Check the esc specifications.

John

Paul Aust

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 01:11:54 pm »

Hi yes speed controller is forward and reverse!!

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 01:22:20 pm »

Is the speed controller programmed for Forward & Reverse, or just for Forward only?  You can test that by plugging a servo into the connection for the motor.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 01:24:41 pm »

Paul, If your ESC is a forward and reverse unit, then it sounds like your radio is the "culprit". Having recently gone to FrSky from a purely analog Robbe system, I found the learning curve to be steep. This is a great video that describes and simplifies Taranis set up procedures. There are numerous ones in the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azs1wmr4c7w&list=PLYsWjANuAm4rtLZuLU2eSTc3svqWx-pa1&index=4&t=0s
I think that once you get a grip on the programing, you will be all set.One thing I learned, and it may not be selective to Taranis, is that the Mixer page of the set up menu must be "filled out" in order to get anything to work.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 02:25:35 pm »

You might find that you had your throttle stick in the fully down position when you switched on for the first time.  The ESC may well "read" this as neutral (i.e. motor stopped) and will allow forwards to max throttle as you push the stick up.  However, of course there is then no scope for reverse, even if the ESC has that capability.  You need to "teach" your ESC that neutral is in the middle, and that one way is forwards, the other reverse.  Without knowing the details of your ESC it is difficult to give clear instructions, but you could try the following -
With everything off, switch on your transmitter and place the throttle stick at the midway position.  Connect your ESC and immediately push your throttle stick to max forward, back to neutral, then max reverse. Return to neutral.  You might need to switch the ESC off and on again now.  When you switch on again, wait for any tones to stop sounding and try your throttle again.  If that doesn't work, you will need to do some more research on your ESC (or tell us the model and someone on here might be able to give you detailed instructions).

(Just a note - I confess to using the left-right movement on the left stick for throttle, because that is sprung and finding neutral is dead easy - just let the stick go.  It also means if you drop your transmitter, the boat stops rather than haring off into the distance.  Or you can fit a spring to the up-down movement.   :D )

Good luck

Greg

Mike61

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 08:29:43 pm »

Paul
If the above ideas don't work check to see if your exact esc's match the exact model number of your transmitter. An action elecronics dual mixer didn't work with my new Futaba 6tl transmitter/receiver ( did strange things sometimes), but is tottaly fine with my old Planet 5 transmitter.
Mike

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 08:36:49 pm »

Paul,
Did you get anywhere with your issues? Is it radio related or the ESC?Jonathan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.