Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CATON Steam Engine Questions  (Read 1009 times)

irons01

• Full Mayhemer
  • 1/72 HMS Hambledon built and sailing....
    • Facebook build page
CATON Steam Engine Questions
« on: November 30, 2021, 04:36:05 pm »

Dear all, I've recently bought a 2nd hand CATON steam engine, which was seized when I got it.

I've stripped the engine head down, cleaned it, oiled it and reassembled and now she runs! But I've some questions (as this is the first time I've ever had anything to do with stream!). Youtube link to the running in today below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjVOJnoP7gc

I only ran the boiler at about 30-40 PSI which seemed to produce a reasonable speed. As I've never run any steam engine before I thought it best to start at a lower pressure than in the manual (which I was fortunate to get with it). Although the manual seems to show a vertical boiler and mine is horizontal, and some of the bits on the unit aren't shown in the pics in the manual (hence the questions)
  • I hadn't noticed the 2 small holes in the engine top plate when i stripped it and reassembled, which emit steam / oil when running, is this usual?
  • There is an outlet pipe for steam / oil on the left hand top side of the engine (opposite side to the control value), the manual says this can be piped overboard, is this the usual thing to do? Could it be piped into the funnel to produce steam / smoke from the funnel?
  • There is a steam valve on top of the boiler, and one on the engine. The one on the boiler seems to provide steam to the engine and the one on the engine provides direction (and stop), I assume I can just leave the one on the top of the boiler open all the time as the one on the engine can be used to control speed / direction, correct?
  • The manual says to drain the oil out of the oil store / oiler on the opposite side to the engine after each use. But as the engine was seized when I got it (I assume from running dry) wouldn't it be better to refill it and store the unit with oil in it? This would help stop any dry running (after it's cold I assume you can turn it over by hand to draw a little of this oil to the engine)

Thanks for any answers / advice with regards to the above

And now all I really need to do now is decide what to build to put it in!!!

Ian

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: CATON Steam Engine Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 03:45:04 am »

Hullo Ian

I remembered an old youtube clip by Roy Burton with his Maxwell Hemmens Caton engine, which may confirm a few points for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e2WVGvl-W0

1. the oily steam engine exhaust is piped to a de-oiler with the steam piped to exit the boiler exhaust, a minature bucket is shown under the lubricator for the draining of condensate from the de-oiler. This could be what the Manufacturer is suggesting [after each use]
2. the engine driven boiler makeup water pump is connected to the boiler via a bypass valve with the tall spindle
3. the engine Fwd-Stop-Reverse engine valve was I assumed for that purpose only and not designed as a speed controller, other Members with knowledge of the specific engine may comment or correct me here
4. the Boiler water level sight glass is shown in Roys video........ whether a poor viewing angle or clarity?? I could not see the sight glass in your boiler
5. Roys boiler burner appears to be hard piped from the gas tank, which is certainly preferred over unrestrained nylon or silicone gas tube

The Caton engine internals would be bronze, brass & stainless steel, so the residue of sticky steam oil is a good short term internal protection

I understood, some of the early Hemmens engines had sintered bronze bushes in the crankshaft end, so used a lighter lubrication oil, however I could only suggest you refer to the Manufacturers handbook for lubrication & preservation matters

This Hemmens is a quality and attractive steam plant, have you considered a model vessel for it?

Derek   

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 03:46:08 am »

duplication or computer glitch  >:-o
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
    • http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 08:37:00 am »

Hello !
You have a very valuable  and reliable steam plant. Congratulations !
There is no differnece in the  way to operate a vertical or horizontal boiler.
The engine was not seized , but if it stayed on the shelf for some years , the segment rings made of silicon or other , sticked against the cylinder wall. if there is a resistance when you turn the engine by hand , that means that the O’rings are good. This is one of the reason why we need to feed it with oil.

I hadn't noticed the 2 small holes in the engine top plate when i stripped it and reassembled, which emit steam / oil when running, is this usual?
Those two holes are vents to avoid condense accumulation on top of the distribution rod. This is normal! They all have these ports to allow a good work. If there is bubbles , there is life !

There is an outlet pipe for steam / oil on the left hand top side of the engine (opposite side to the control value), the manual says this can be piped overboard, is this the usual thing to do? Could it be piped into the funnel to produce steam / smoke from the funnel?
The outlet pipe opposite to the reverse valve's handle has to be connected in a de-oiler.(See Roy's video and mine on the BAT) This is a « drum » letting the steam passing and trapping the oil.

There is a steam valve on top of the boiler, and one on the engine. The one on the boiler seems to provide steam to the engine and the one on the engine provides direction (and stop), I assume I can just leave the one on the top of the boiler open all the time as the one on the engine can be used to control speed / direction, correct?
The isolation valve on top of a boiler is a barrier in case there is a problem (leak?) on the steam lines or the engine or if you have to isolate the boiler for any reason. Leave it open.The way I do : i let the boiler build up pressure to 3 b. I open the steam to the engine and let it full speed the time the first oil comes out and allow some warming. Then I slowly close the isolation valve until the engine start to slow down. this far more than enough and it helps to keep your boiler under good pressure . You’ll be amazed by the small opening needed to run your machine.

The manual says to drain the oil out of the oil store / oiler on the opposite side to the engine after each use. But as the engine was seized when I got it (I assume from running dry) wouldn't it be better to refill it and store the unit with oil in it? This would help stop any dry running (after it's cold I assume you can turn it over by hand to draw a little of this oil to the engine)
You need to empty the de-oiler after each run. This is spoiled water (condensation) with oil. Dump it properly.Also you need to drain the oiler from water. Unscrew the knob below. and replace with oil.If you want to store your plant for a long time, just empty the boiler. Disconnect the engine and connect a silicone hose on it.[/size] [/i][/size]Pour in a thimble of light oil in this hose . [/i][/size][size=78%][/size] . Connect the hose on the compressor line (1 b is plenty enough) and blow the inside water out by letting running your engine. When the oil comes out clean (generally this is when you just change yourself and have a clean white shirt and your wife is waiting for you in the car) , you realize that having a rag to hold and control the outlet is not a bad idea ![size=78%][/size] ok2 [size=78%] [/size][/font]

[/size]Another recommandation : Never lay down a gas bottle like the one you use; You may have liquid butane flowing and ending with a  flamme thrower.[size=78%]
[/size]Last : avoid to run your engine full speed with no charge. This is like clicking your teeth ![size=78%] {:-{

[/size]At the end, play with your plant as much as you can until you know it well , it will appreciate it and you’ll enjoy it for years and years ![size=78%]
[/size]Sorry to be a kind of « I know all » ! I don’t know too much but if i can share my experience with a novice steamer, this is always a pleasure !  ok2 [size=78%][/size]Thank you for sharing.[size=78%]

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 09:58:05 am »

Just to clarify the Caton can be operated in either of two ways as follows:

1) As above use the valve on the boiler as isolation and control the engine solely on the shuttle valve on the engine.  This can be more useful with a fluctuating boiler pressure when the isolation valve can be used to compensate for pressure variations.

2) Use the valve on the engine as a reversing mechanism only and use the valve on the boiler to control speed.  This works well if the boiler pressure is stable as is the case when either an electronic gas valve or an attenuation valve is used to maintain boiler pressure.

Also worth noting is the fact that the valve on the boiler is only a rotating port valve so will inherently pass a very small amount of steam and should not be considered a sealed isolation.  The holes in the heads are to vent the space at the top of the piston valves as they also pass a small amount of steam.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 09:59:40 am »

This is operating the plant using the second method:

https://youtu.be/tdIInmptuag
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
    • http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 10:22:37 am »

Great!  :-))
I love this two handles and idea to paint the servos . It looks so realistic !
Thanks for sharing.
 :-)

irons01

• Full Mayhemer
  • 1/72 HMS Hambledon built and sailing....
    • Facebook build page
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 01:09:22 pm »

Thanks very much everyone for the helpful advice! All I need to do now is decide what to build to use the CATON in, and get an oil / steam separator and an electronic engine control unit......

Ian

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 01:17:20 pm »

Great!  :-))
I love this two handles and idea to paint the servos . It looks so realistic !
Thanks for sharing.
 :-)

I actually painted up four servos and then weathered them to make them look like appropriate pieces of machinery.  It works very well and you can even paint up the servo leads to simulate hydraulic pipework.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 03:23:17 pm »

Very nice touch with the servo's and a very good idea!

Cheers

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.