Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Grenadier Military Class Trawler and Q-Ship‘s  (Read 932 times)

Herman-the-German

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
HMS Grenadier Military Class Trawler and Q-Ship‘s
« on: February 14, 2021, 02:43:57 pm »

Hello from Germany[/size]First please appologize my bad englishI am totaly new hereI am looking for Informations for my Military Class Trawler Royal Marine. I want to convert it to the HMS Grenadier because i like the heavier armament  maybe someone have plans for (or know where i can get it)selling. The next is i want built a Q-Ship , for this i want to use the Steam Tramper „Melanie“ from Deans Marine, (does it work with this type?) maybe someone have plans this converting to. Regards from Germany Tobi

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: HMS Grenadier Military Class Trawler and Q-Ship‘s
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 03:47:52 pm »

Hi Herman,
Fascinating subject but most Q ships were armed on the basis of what would fit, not planned.If you Google Q Ship Suffolk Coast, you will find photos and films on youtube. The hull was similar to Melanie and would be a possible conversion. Alternatively, HMS Hyderabad would work in layout and plans are available from Greenwich Maritime Museum BUT you would have to cheat because she was built so that torpedoes should pass underneath her. There's a lot of info here https://www.google.com/search?q=ship+HMS+hyderabad&source=lmns&bih=632&biw=1366&client=firefox-b-d&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj6gLzA3OnuAhUVphQKHYNVDg4Q_AUoAHoECAEQAA

Good Luck with the project.
Tony

Herman-the-German

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 07:35:20 pm »

Hello Tony
Many Thx for this infos! This would be help me, so i have some time for the next project. The Grenadier is still in the drydock  :-) . But i like not the „normal“ warships and still the ww1 ships, so for many Infos i have to look in your Country. In Germany the Navy and ww1 are not so popular. Does somebody know maybe where i can buy plans for Q-Ships ? And maybe plans for the Grenadier ? I only have mcgregor plans in Not the best Quality.
Regards from Germany
Tobi

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 09:53:32 am »

Hi Tobi,
Plans for Q ships are very difficult. This is why.In WW1 there were 2 types of "Mystery Ships".
Type 1 was warships like Flower Class sloops and PC Boats. Some of them were built to look like merchant ships. There was also the Hyderabad which was a one-off which was designed and built as a Q ship. It should be possible to get plans of these from the National Maritime Museum but they are expensive.
Type 2 were the converted trawlers/coasters/schooners and all sorts. There are, as far as I'm aware, no plans for any of these because they were armed with whatever was available and the Captain had a lot of influence over where guns were hidden and whether he could bribe dockyards to make changes. So, for example, a "normal" coaster could be armed with a single gun, after conversion it could have as many as five or six guns, along with depth charges and torpedo tubes.I'm afraid you'll have to use your imagination but there is a lot of information to be able to get ideas.I'm afraid I've no idea about Grenadier but there must be plans out there but National Maritime Museum have this model https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/67531.html  so they probably have proper plans.
Good Luck
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.