Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black Projects UFO  (Read 703 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Black Projects UFO
« on: August 11, 2020, 02:08:33 pm »

I had already cut the 3mm black depron circular top and bottom parts for this model several years ago with the intention of fitting a brushless motor and prop in the centre and cutouts round the edge with airfoils set in to give lift from the torque reaction. It was to be single channel, throttle only, with no steering.
 Tricky to fly but possible, as proved by a single channel ufo model I had years ago.
 Now, I decided to go for full control by mounting it on a quadcopter (wltoys v262)
 I used spare carbon arms superglued onto the existing arms. I was going to bind them with thread as well but the bond is so strong that it doesnt need any reinforcement. I extended the motor wires, cut small areas out of the bottom half to sink the arms into until they were flush with top edge. The top disc is held on with tape in 2 places. For the dome, I used packaging from a cake, cut down to leave me a nice looking dome. I had already used the base as a small helipad. I have now painted it silver, the only silver paint I had was pretty poor, but I used it anyway. I am planning some nice landing legs but for the moment I am just landing on the quad's landing legs. I havent flown it since it was painted, I think orientation will be a problem. I have still to fit the lights which will hopefully sort that. The ufo is 20 inch diameter.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Black Projects UFO
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 11:46:50 am »

A bit patchy looking but its pretty much silver, dont really notice the patchiness when you are flying though. Its affected by wind a bit more than a bare quadcopter but still responsive and can make its way into the wind fine. Still got lights to fit before I can fly it in the dark. I wwas thinking white leds on the arms where they meet the body, aiming at the body so the blades are not too noticeable. Maybe a couple of red/blue ones pointing downwards to help with orientation.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Black Projects UFO
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 11:48:47 am »

Resizing the photo has made it look a bit funny colour wise. I have noticed this effect on other photos after resizing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.