Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos  (Read 918 times)

old_gunner

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Photos
« on: August 13, 2020, 04:18:40 pm »

Having a problem uploading photos and yes I did have a note on how it works but on my old computer and being very old and not too bright and recovering anything from a dead hard drive is beyond me.
Old Gunners never die, they just drop shorter.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Photos
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 05:31:23 pm »

If the hard drive is dead, that means that everything on it is gone.  That's why, ever since external drives that could plug into the USB hole became available about 20 years ago, I have always advised making a copy on the portable drive.  The notion is that if there is no back up copy, of any item, it must not be valued.  If there is, when the time comes to replace the drive, there is data to put on it.
There is a how-to thread here - https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,61103.0.html- which assumes a working source.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

old_gunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 06:16:03 pm »

Many thanks, I do keep an external hard drive on my "study" computer the deceased one is on the laptop in the workshop, pause for a Parrot sketch comment.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 11:02:56 pm »

If its inside the laptop there are a couple of possibilities - the ex-laptop itself might be broken or the drive.  A dud drive effectively stops the laptop from working, which makes it difficult to tell which with any certainty which is the cause. 
If the laptop, on being switched on, starts to wake up but complains about not having a drive, there is the chance its a dud drive.  If that was the only place the information was stored, thats bad news, its gone.
OTOH if the laptop just sits there, there is a chance that its a dead kaptop with a working drive, the drive can be pulled out and fitted into a case available from ebay* under £10.  Put the drive in, plug it into your working computer, read your files and make copies.
Depending on the age of the laptop, there is the chance of various types of drive. But a good chance its a 2.5" SATA one   
* tried copying and pasting the link - there was several lines of it.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

old_gunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 11:18:18 pm »

Thank you, it is a 2.5"SATA and I have found one on E Bay as the laptop works with the hard drive from my office machine, so I will be able to upload the photo's of the build of Mountfleets CMB which arrived today courtesy of my wife who will do anything to stop me interfering with the running of the home and my often failures at DIY as she feels it's cheaper to keep me in the shed rather than paying tradspersons to put right my mistakes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.