Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best for bonding to vac formed hulls  (Read 1733 times)

Blaven03

• Full Mayhemer
Best for bonding to vac formed hulls
« on: August 13, 2020, 09:58:48 pm »

Hello,

Hope every1 well in current climate?

Has any1 got any suggesting for a good adhesive to bond materials to vac formed hulls (Parat Hull).

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Best for bonding to vac formed hulls
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 10:24:51 pm »

Stabilit Express
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 08:23:00 pm »

Agree with Martin. It is what Graupner advised for building all their moulded kits and works very well. It is a bit pricey though and comes as 2 parts which have to be mixed into a paste before use. While not as convenient as some it does work.  I have also been introduced to a superglue recently ( hate the stuff normally as I am the only thing most of them seem to stick to anything) which seems to work very well on plastics. It is Screwfix's " No Nonsense" . I have been trying it on 3D printed plastic parts which can be very tricky to fix and it works well , particularly on the ABS filament bits.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 08:28:22 pm »

Whatever you decide to use - be sure to roughen the surfaces to be glued, this gives the glue a surface to grab on.

Regards,
Ray.

RST

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 08:44:37 pm »

I got to ask what are the materials (not sure what is used for Parat)?  ABS or PS to the same material then solvent such as MEK / Limonene / Dichloromethane as sold in the Tamiya / EMA etc. bottles, rather than any plastic "cement" from Humbrol or Revell etc. or other "adhesive", is a complete no-brainer.  For plastic to something else, or to fill gaps then you have to use some form of bonding / cement.  I like the aforementioned Stabilit Express also (often called Stability Express now).  I've not had cause to use the "no more nails" / "stixall" / "sticks like s***t" stuff yet, particularly as it's sold in such big tubes compared to what I need but not to say it's no good for some folk in other applications.  As other said though, whatever you use: always rough up surfaces as far as possible and de-grease for best results.

Rich

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 12:25:44 am »

Agree with Martin. It is what Graupner advised for building all their moulded kits and works very well. It is a bit pricey though and comes as 2 parts which have to be mixed into a paste before use. While not as convenient as some it does work.  I have also been introduced to a superglue recently ( hate the stuff normally as I am the only thing most of them seem to stick to anything) which seems to work very well on plastics. It is Screwfix's " No Nonsense" . I have been trying it on 3D printed plastic parts which can be very tricky to fix and it works well , particularly on the ABS filament bits.

This stuff?   - https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-solvented-grab-adhesive-350ml/7454d

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer

Blaven03

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 08:11:35 am »

Good Morning,

Thanks very much for input.

The hull of Parat is fairly thin and flimsy. The plan is to mount another base at the bottom internally (probably a hard nylon plastic) to make a rigid base to fit Units and skeg to. Just wasn’t sure best adhesive.

Regards DJ

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 07:44:39 pm »

Buy a tube of Everbuild Stixall or Evostick sticks like sh--t .Both of these wiil do the job
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.