Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Current limit through Receiver?  (Read 1197 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Current limit through Receiver?
« on: August 14, 2020, 05:17:09 pm »

I intended to use the landing gear switch (C5) on my Futaba 6J setup to activate a group of mini servos simultaneously. I assumed that some heavier aircraft would have to use 2 or 3 largish servos so it wouldn't be a problem. All the servos were wired up and the wiring loom checked for polarity etc and all was fine but I got no response atall when connected to the Futaba Rx. Channels 1-4 are fine but 5(Switch) and the rotary switch (6) give zero response. I also plugged the loom into C2 and all worked correctly.
I'm against trying a replacement receiver until I've explored other possibilities which could be that (a) I've mucked up the settings on the transmitter or (b) I'm overloading the poor little circuit!
Any advice would be much appreciated :embarrassed:
Thanks
Tony

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Current limit through Receiver?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 05:33:14 pm »

HI a command from the retract switch or rotary switch should work fine. The retract switch is not proportional the rotary switch will give some proportional  movement. Are all these servos connected to one channel or both?

Stan.

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 06:01:07 pm »

If I'm running a high load then I use a Y cable so the they Y gives the servos the power, all the RX is doing is supplying signal.
I do this in my Marblehead where the sail winch draws high current. Just good practice rather than relying on the small RX PCB track to supply it.
Jim

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 09:01:22 pm »

Check the servos individually to check that they work on the channel, then add a servo at a time and see when they stop working. While the + and - track in the receiver will probably provide enough power ( as they link straight to the battery) the signal is limited in output as this comes from the decoder chip.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 09:40:08 pm »

Hi, sofar 3 mini servos and 1 lightweight sail winch off single channel. I need single movement from full left/up to full right/down so click switch (C5) is perfect. The setup works fine on C1/2/3 or 4 but does not work on 6 which is the rotary knob. I don't need any proportional movement. C5 will not work with a single servo either so I was wondering if the settings of the tranny are wrong. Aaaarrrrrrgh!

fredd

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 12:07:09 am »

Going by the manual if yours is FHSS system it is four channel only

Transmitter: T6J- 2.4GHz
 6-Channel - 2.4GHz S-FHSS transmitter
(Up to 4-Channel at 2.4GHz FHSS system)

Receiver: R2006GS
 6-Channel - 2.4GHz S-FHSS receiver
(Up to 4-Channel at 2.4GHz FHSS system)

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 04:36:35 am »

the radio is a six channel radio if you use and configure it for a S-FHSS receiver.  it is a four channel radio if you use and configure it for a FHSS receiver.

there are a multitude of reasons he may not be getting the 5th and 6th channels to do anything besides having it set to the  FHSS mode.

what mode is the current model (ACRO or HELI)
if ACRO what wing mixing modes are set...

etc.

TONYH please tell us what model receiver are you using, and what model type and other info you have set the radio up with so we can further our diagnosis

i just noticed...   according to the manual it gets worse: "The R2006GS [receiver] which accompanies the T6J is compatible with either the S-FHSS or FHSS settings and adjusts automatically to the signals from the transmitter, accordingly."  so even if you are using the R2006GS receiver (a six channel S-FHSS receiver) but you have somehow set the transmitter (also six channels) to the FHSS mode, you will only be able to use 4 channels on the receiver.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 09:54:22 am »

Brilliantly done chaps! I've just got to get down to the shed to check functionality (Loverly word %) ) but transmitter says "OK, you've found me out!"Tx is FHSS/S-FHSS and Rx is R2006GS and, of course, when I cleared the previous model by resetting the data, it reverted to FHSS mode.
The daft thing is that, according to the Instruction Manual Contents and Specification, the Transmitter is a 6-Channel - 2.4Ghz FHSS transmitter. The only mention I can find about the drop to 4 channels is where it mentions failsafe.So, I may be a bit premature but thank goodness for the breadth and generosity of knowledge on Model Boat Mayhem. :-))

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 10:12:12 am »

:-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.