Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Joe's Bella with Mods  (Read 14626 times)

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Joe's Bella with Mods
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2020, 03:43:07 pm »

Coming along nicely Joe.   :-))
Greg

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2020, 08:54:44 am »

Amen to that. No questioning your hand working skills, but you must be pleased that this is not a challenging build by way of poorly fitting pieces and the like?

Lovely job so far Joe  :-)
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2020, 04:43:46 pm »

Thanks guys,  Yes I'm finding it quite enjoyable to build something you don't have to think too much about, the challenging part is still to come as I attempt to make all the rigging fittings in brass.

Joe

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2020, 07:34:13 pm »

Hi Joe, just been out in the high winds sailing my yacht.  This yacht has a set of Bella sails.  Definitely needs a kicking strap otherwise the air spills from the top of the sails.  The jib needs some tight control as well.
How will you be attaching the sails to the mast?  Will you use a jack-line?
Regards
Roy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2020, 10:39:11 pm »

Hi Roy, yes I'll be fitting a boom tie of some description, and I'll probably make up some mast rings to fit the sail, not sure what you mean by a
Jack Line in relation to the sails,  the only Jack line I've seen on a yacht is for crew safety.

Joe

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2020, 10:02:18 am »

Hi Joe. a jack-line in this instance is an old model yachting method of securing the sails to the mast.  It is the best looking way to do it.  At the aft face of the mast a series of very small no more than 1cm long, split pins is inserted in a vertical line about 4 inches apart.

The small loops of the split pins no more than 1mm wide are each lined up and a wire inserted all the way down the back of the mast and tightened up with a small adjusting screw.  The wire sits about 2-3mm out from the mast.  The sail has metal fasteners sewn or even glued on to the luff edge which hook on to the jack-line.  You could use dress fasteners, which is what I use with the hook splayed open and flattened to about 1cm. wide.

On one yacht I used a length of carbon fibre rod about 1/16th inch diameter slid down the split pin loops, piano wire would work as well, so you do not need to tension the wire.  The sails stay in place flush up to the edge of the mast which is most efficient as they are being pulled in that direction.
You cannot see this method unless you look close.

The other part of the dress fastener is a small loop.  If you are careful you can twist the loop part that would normally be sewn into the material to form a saddle so that it can be attached to the fore part of the jib (superglue) again about every 3 - 4 inches.  The forestay can then be fed down the loops and the jib swings very freely.

My Bella sails just use superglue as above and stood up to very high winds.
regards
Roy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2020, 11:25:41 am »

Thanks for that Roy, That all makes sense and the Jack line you describe has a very similar function  to Jack lines for crew safety on the full sized yachts I worked on at Camper and Nicholson's, this method will be much neater than mast rings so it sounds like a plan to me. :-))

Joe

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2020, 12:42:10 pm »

Hi Joe lad to have passed on the method.  Just a small point make sure the sail hooks do not clash with the jack line split pins.  Allow yourself a bit of up and downess for the sail as well.
regards
 Roy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2020, 01:20:44 pm »

Not everything in the kit easily slots together, the laser cut slots are naturally cut square and don't allow for curvature of stringers, cabin sides etc. so each slot has to be trimmed to correct angle and the slots formed as you assemble the deck are too narrow to slid over the cabin sides so had to be carefully widened, before I bond the deck down I've marked around the over hang on the under side and have trimmed most of the surplus off, the over hanging deck edges was one of the features I wasn't keen on, mine will be flushed with the hull and the joint covered with a Mahogany strake.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2020, 02:22:56 pm »

Gave the deck a sealing coat both sides so while waiting for it to dry I started on the cockpit that is assembled in situ and when glue is set is removeable so I made sure to put some masking tape around in case any glue got where it wasn't supposed to, I added some fillets to strengthen joins where possible on the under side there is no room for fillets so I used the cotton tape left over from the deck assembly it made the butt joints very strong, I quite like the way the cockpit is done, makes for easy access to the tiller flat and goes back in place nice and snug and held in with one screw, also made up the cabin roof subframe and again added fillets to the joints and then managed to bend the roof over the frame and glue in place, as I mentioned before the roof is 2mm solid wood with planking laser cut into it this makes it very prone to cracking along the plank lines, I had previously glued cross pieces of 0.8mm ply on the under side this did help when it was finally fitted although I did get two small cracks they are hidden by the "sliding" hatch, so all is well so far, I'll be bonding down the deck later today.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2020, 04:26:53 pm »

Got the deck glued down and sanded the edges flush, Glad I cut most of the overhang off before hand, and started to fit the strakes, this is another one of the mods for those that don't know the boat though I don't suppose there can be many that don't know of her given her age, and I much prefer this method of finishing the deck edges rather than just have the deck over hanging, then finished the transom and forepeak.

Joe.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2020, 04:36:06 pm »

Hi Joe I like what you have done, might re-visit my one!
I have been sailing my new yacht with the Bella sails, having just fitted a kicking strap, makes a big difference to sail performance.  The boom no longer rides up to spill the wind from the top of the sail.
All the best
Roy

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2020, 05:11:20 pm »

Thats really coming along nicely Joe its going to be a looker that's for sure

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2020, 06:13:09 pm »

Thanks for your interest guys, The reason for the extra bit of Mahogany at the forepeak is I intend to fit a dedicated forestay so there will be an eye plate right on the point, the forestay as fitted connects to the deck via the fore end of the jib boom and the swivel, so if you remove the jib sail there is little forward support for the mast, I'll still fit the latter of course as it carries the jib and keeps it in tension.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2020, 04:09:45 pm »

Fitted the keel weights and faired them in ready for painting,
lead

I didn't like the dowel booms supplied in the kit so I made some more profiled ones,

dowel

I've stained them and the mast a kind of Mahogany colour.

booms

Joe

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2020, 10:52:36 pm »

Your pictures seem to have shrunk Joe.  Have pity on our failing eyesight!  Nice work all the same.  :-))

Greg

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2020, 10:10:58 am »

Yeah sorry about that Greg, I'm still trying to get to grips with Mayhem images, try these.

Joe

boom.jpg

new booms

keel-2.jpg

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2020, 03:00:06 pm »

:-)) :-)) :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2020, 10:06:38 pm »

I've put the build on hold for a few days while I dismantle my 00 gauge railway, I've been thinking it's not used enough to warrant the space it takes up (at least half the shop) , plus also being my workshop the dust I create when building anything is attracted by the rails like a magnet and thus on to the loco wheels so causing them to stop running, and I am constantly cleaning to keep every thing running smoothly, so I've decided take it down and put every thing in storage till I get the urge to do another one.
So Bella will be back after I've reorganised the workshop.  :-))

Joe.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2020, 10:16:52 am »

Hi Joe you have a PM.Roy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2020, 04:38:40 pm »

Well that's the railway dismantled and stored for another time no doubt, I now have a lot more room to work and move around,
shop1
shop2

so now on with Bella, I thought I would fit the control gear before doing too much varnishing/painting of the hull, so I've set up the rudder and tested, and removed the rudder for painting, I'm also setting up the winch and sail control sheet runs using tubing so hopefully it will work smoothly
t1.jpg

t2.jpg

control.jpg

Next comes the varnishing I'll give it another 4 coats and see what it looks like.

Joe

tarmstro

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2020, 07:25:09 pm »

Please don't use that "captive winch" setup. It will fail, fail and fail again.

See here: http://www.onemetre.net/Build/Drums/Drums.htm

Please use one of the setups from the diagrams (tensioning elastic or closed loop).

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2020, 10:15:06 pm »

I'm not looking for any fancy set up's, so I'll carry on as I'm going and if the winch dose fail I'll rethink then, though I can't imagine why these winches are still selling if they fail so readily.

Joe

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2020, 10:54:06 pm »

Hi Joe you will have problems but I think you can resolve them.  I have the same captive winch and a problem.

What is wrong is you are not leaving enough space between the slot in the winch and the pick up tube.  The problems starts when the string coming out of the winch has no where to go and it stays in the winch, this backs up and the coils of string wrap around each other.

You need at least a couple of inches to allow the string to come out easily, preferably a bit more.  I am sorting out this same problem in my case the mainsail sheet has a long way to go and does not bunch up but the jib sheet feeds almost straight into the guide tube, so I am moving this away.
I will let you know how I get on.

Roy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2020, 04:51:15 pm »

Hi Roy, I've been doing some testing on the winch today rigged it up with thread and just had the ends hanging over the side of the hull with a couple of small clamps clipped on the ends for weight to simulate wind in the sails it actually works fine till I take one of the clamps off simulating a sail going slack, then I see what you mean about the room between the winch and tubes, I've now moved the tubes outboard and have a good two inches, which helps, but I think the tread/cord supplied in the kit is very fine and can even work it's way out of the gap in the winch drum, so I've ordered some more a bit thicker, a .050mm and a .075mm to experiment with, it's all good fun ain't it.

Joe
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.