Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Joe's Bella with Mods  (Read 14627 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Joe's Bella with Mods
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2020, 06:19:58 pm »

Hi Joe as you say all good fun.  As I found, pushing string is not going to work.  I was thinking of 2cm of solder wire formed into a small coil and wrapped around the string in the gap might help the string to come out of the winch.

I am using a softish string but not a woven one, they pull taut and flatten out and can get caught in difficult places.
regards
Roy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2020, 04:43:16 pm »

Thought I'd do something different today so I made the gooseneck, at least it works and probably the most difficult of all the fittings so the rest should be easier, the Jewelers saw proved to be an excellent addition to the workshop.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2020, 03:51:10 pm »

Made a couple more fittings today fore and aft eye plates I'm keeping them as small as possible but hopefully will still do the job they'll be screwed down and with a spot of epoxy for good measure, it's quite good fun doing something different, but also fiddly and the new to me venture into silver soldering make them very strong.
I'm not aiming for anything scale here but I think they look better than the screw eyes supplied in the kit IMO they don't suit what is essentially a nice looking yacht.

joe

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2020, 06:33:23 pm »

Lovely fittings Joe and as you say they look so much better than screw eyes (yuk!). The whole boat is looking splendid.

Greg

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2020, 08:23:12 pm »

Hi sailorgreg, in defence of screw eyes if you fit a close fitting washer and then screw them in they improve no end.
Roy

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2020, 05:38:42 pm »

OK, but still not as nice as a custom fitting from skilled hands, IMHO.

Greg

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2020, 06:24:10 pm »

Hi sailor.... my suggestion of the addition of a washer was only in response to the yuk!  I agree a nicely made scale fitting trumps all.
Roy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2020, 07:13:02 pm »

Yeah the screw eyes like them or not I think were there, along with a few other things to make the kit an "easy build" and as we know built as per instructions work just fine, I just decided to add the mods to hull and rigging to make it a more complicated build the more I do to the boat the better I like her.

Thanks for your interest guys.

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2020, 03:11:54 pm »

I made the mast head fitting yesterday, I was going to make a cap with lugs on it but decided it wasn't really necessary the easier option works just as well, then fitted the Jack Line tensioned by a bottle screw, today I took advantage of the fine weather to spray the bottom in the garden it makes such a mess in the garage, I'll leave it now for a few days to harden before putting her back in the cradle, now to continue with the rigging fittings.

Joe

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2020, 06:31:40 pm »

Hi Joe I have just moved my jib sheet pick up feed tube to 3 inches away from the winch and this has improved the flow of the sheet from the winch.  I also sprayed some SP90 silicone spray from a can looks just like WD 40 can.  Coated the sheets using fingers and that is a little more help.

In the gap between the winch and the pickup tube I wound a 1 inch length of solder wire into a spring type shape and threaded it on to the sheet to give a little weight to the sheet comming out of the winch.  It is an improvement and there do not seem to be any winch tangles with no load on the sheets.  Wiil go sailing when the wind gets up a bit.

Is that black a finished colour at the head of the mast?  Masts are normally painted white at the ends or at junctions.  When things go wrong full size it is usually dark!

Regards Roy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2020, 09:38:05 pm »

Yes Roy the black paint is there to kind of hide the slot that holds the head fitting, forgot to say the 1mm and .75mm cords came and I've fitted the 1mm cord to the winch, it's thick enough not to come out of the small joint round the drum and doesn't tangle like the very thin tread supplied, I've tested it with using clamps as weights and seem to work fine.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2020, 03:48:04 pm »

A few more fittings done yesterday and today, Jib Boom ready for rigging, several more fitting to make yet,  I'm finding them quite enjoyable,  now I'm in the zone so to speak I'll get all the fittings done before returning to varnishing the hull.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2020, 04:47:54 pm »

Couple more fittings done today, gradually getting though them, mostly eye plates of some description.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2020, 04:29:52 pm »

Here's todays efforts,  the cleats at the mast base supplied in the kit were mahogany ply but were delaminating, I could have glued them I suppose but decided to scrap them and make some in brass, also made the jib eye plates, quite close together so I made it one piece all the brass fittings aren't exactly exhibition standard but I'm quite happy with them and I'm fairly sure they'll do the job.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2020, 04:26:20 pm »

Eyeplate on cockpit sole for main sheet and the shroud plates made today, that's all the fittings done I think I'll soon know when I start the rigging, so now to continue varnishing the hull, also did a quite float test, she draws 10 inches so she was just afloat with the water up to the bath over flow, no leaks which is always nice and the chine just below the surface and a good amount of freeboard she should handle the usually choppy waters of Walpole Park quite well.

Joe

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2020, 04:38:46 pm »

Stunning work Joe  :-))   I wish I could get my screws to sit so flush into fittings like you do.  Mine always seem to sit just off centre no matter how hard I try to get them right. Looking forward to the next update.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2020, 06:08:55 pm »

Thanks Mark,  with the hull back in the cradle I got the rudder finished complete with split pin if anything goes wrong at least the rudder won't drop out, it's had four coats of varnish and looks ok, I'm not looking for a mirror finish. the control sheets are installed and ready for rigging, I ran out of 0 gauge brass screws so have some more on order for the deck fittings, I've started to prepare the sails by fitting the stiffeners etc. I'm using the little hook fasteners stitched to the leading of the main sail,  I "found" five, there will be hell to pay if SWMBO wants to wear her old bras. %) %) .

Joe.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2020, 06:47:28 pm »

Very nice indeed.  I think your fittings are great Joe, don't do yourself down, and the whole boat looks splendid.

Greg

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2020, 04:56:46 pm »

Thanks for your generous comments Greg, By the way did you find another sailing venue I've been meaning to ask.

The tiny brass screws came this morning so I was able to carry on with the deck fittings and start the rigging.

Joe

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2020, 05:04:25 pm »

By the way did you find another sailing venue I've been meaning to ask.

No, not yet.  We've been "camping out" at other venues but no sign of a new home water.  We are thinking of having a day out at Walpole lake - I'll let you know if we go ahead.

Bella still looking great!

Greg

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2020, 06:06:19 pm »

Hi Greg,    yes please do let me know, do you use the boating pond near where you live or are models not allowed.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2020, 07:23:28 pm »

Hi. Greg  Just thought, you could check when the lake is not being used at www.gosportmybc.club on their events calendar it shows all the free days.   :-))

Joe

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2020, 07:58:52 pm »

Your fittings are fab Joe. I like the tabernacle (?) with the fairleads as well as the other gubbins you have modified or scratch built.

Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2020, 02:57:14 pm »

Thanks Ian, I do like making gubbins  %% ,

Today started making the stays/shrouds etc. and stepped the mast then rigged the sails that I prepared between varnish coats and presto it's finished.
With the aid of a 15" fan for the "Wind" I tested the sail control, very pleased how it worked except this was my first venture into sail winches and soon realized I bought the wrong winch this one has 4 turns and is way too much for what is needed, I only need half the stick movement for full sail control, I could leave it but if I used too much stick letting the sails out the extra cord is prone to tangle, so I have a 2 turn winch on order that has the same shrouded drum so I can use the same drum on the new servo, Once this is done I'll wait for a day with light winds for her first sail.
On another note the Piercing saw I bought to cut the brass for the fittings has proved to be an excellent tool I was pleased when it came with 144 blades in 6 grades as I thought I'd probably use half of them, as it turned out I'm still on the first blade, it cut out all the fittings and the glazing for the little windows, a tenner well spent.

Joe

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2020, 03:45:08 pm »

Hi Joe, couple of things, not sure about your machining ability, but can you make a smaller drum so that 4 turns is OK?

Another is, is your transmitter able to reduce the servo movement?  The ones I use have a collective throw adjustment.
Another thought is that you can get servo throw reducers that sit between the receiver and the servo.

Another thing is if the above is not good then why not use an arm winch?  I suggest you do not buy a purpose made arm winch.  I use the relatively cheap 8 or 10 Kgrm metal gear standard servos.

It is easy to make an arm and this would be enough to work the sails in a wind.  Remember to allow the sheets to the sails to go round nice easy corners.
Good luck
Roy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.