Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Joe's Bella with Mods  (Read 14714 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Joe's Bella with Mods
« on: August 15, 2020, 05:01:53 pm »

The Aeronaut Bella is by now quite an old model and if built as per the instructions she builds into a very nice sailing boat however I think she could use some improvements, the keel fin at 3mm with a fair old lump of lead on the bottom didn't seem adequate to me so I'll beef it up with a piece of 1.5 mm ply bonded each side and profile the leading and trailing edges,   I'll fit stringers along the chine instead of the bottom and topside ply just butting together and relying on glue along the joint inside, I don't really like the way the edge of the deck is finished just over lapping the hull all round this will be flushed down to the topsides and a strake will be fitted to cover the joint and also stand above the deck about 3mm to form a toe rail with a couple of scuppers along each side, and just about all the rigging fittings will be scrapped and replaced with something more scale like, all the screw eyes supplied make her look rather basic IMO.

So made a start on the keel fin I haven't gone overboard with the profiling just enough to help the fin slip though the water I'm not looking for speed, I will fettle the keel weights a bit more as I'm moving them 15mm further aft on the fin, I've noticed Bella tends the put her bow down a bit when going about and this may help or may be not we shall see.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Joe's Bella with Mods
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 05:04:02 pm »

That came quick  :-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 05:30:17 pm »

It did Andy, but not without the problems stated in my other thread,

Joe.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 06:26:52 pm »

Just for reference....  :}

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 07:20:05 pm »

I've got no knowledge of yachts but it's pretty obvious that you know what you're doing. I'll follow your progress and hope it all goes well for you.

Regards,
Ray.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 09:10:00 am »

Hi, you mention fettling the lead, I sugggest you insert some lead flashing to make up the gap, it should just compensate for the extra bouyancy of the addition to the keel.
Regards
Roy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 12:25:45 pm »

Yeah cheers Roy we're on the same wave length mate, the feting will be grinding out the forward end of the fin rebate to move the "torpedo" aft 15mm. there will be approx 3mm gap between the halves each end I'll glue lead sheet on one half of the weights just under the surface so when the keel is installed the joints will be smoothed with filler prior to painting.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 03:08:59 pm »

The hull frame is now assembled and glued and I'm waiting on some more strip wood, 1/4"X 1/4" Balsa for the chine stringers and 8mm X 3mm Mahogany for the toerails, in the mean time I'm making up the rudder and other small assemblies. The laser cutting is very well done and all the materials are good quality, The glossy instruction book is all in German but the construction is so traditional you don't really need it, plus with the mods I'm doing I'm not actually following the set sequence. Some of the details I like and some I don't, the mast tabernackle is ok it looks the part and suits the type of boat, the method of attaching the main boom to the mast I defo will not be using, can't really see why the long bolt, spread the load maybe? I dunno, I'll use a gooseneck I may buy one or have some fun trying to make one as I will with the shroud plates deck eyes etc.

Joe

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 03:17:49 pm »

Hi Joe I have used this gooseneck several times.  You can get aileron hinges about 3mm wide and aprox 30mm each hinged piece. 

I drill into the boom for one end and the other goes into a close fitting tube attached to the mast vertically.  You can lock the mast end in with a piece of hard brass wire drilled into the end of the hinge.  Paint whatever colour and they work a treat.  The sail boom has total freedom of movement.
Regards
Roy

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 05:01:33 pm »

Hi Joe I have used this gooseneck several times.  You can get aileron hinges about 3mm wide and aprox 30mm each hinged piece. 

I drill into the boom for one end and the other goes into a close fitting tube attached to the mast vertically.  You can lock the mast end in with a piece of hard brass wire drilled into the end of the hinge.  Paint whatever colour and they work a treat.  The sail boom has total freedom of movement.
Regards
Roy

I am having a hard time picturing what you describe, based on what i know of aileron hinges...  any possibility of a photo?

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 08:18:30 pm »

Sometimes known as knuckle hinges. No need to wait for an order from China as they will be available in any model shop stocking parts for model aircraft.Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 08:27:27 pm »

Ooh this is going to be a good build.......I'm watching this one.......good luck Joe not that you need it mate  :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2020, 08:36:22 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion I've got something similar in my come in handy box left over from building a Piper Cub about ten years ago, I've actually got something brass in mind for the gooseneck and all the fittings.

Joe

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2020, 11:17:41 pm »

I found that they take 'brass' paint quite well!
Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2020, 11:21:10 pm »

Hi Joe I was going to fit some oil type navigation lights as I have an Action flickering light circuit. However you can't really see them in daylight and apparently I am not allowed out late at night now!
Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2020, 11:27:23 pm »

Looking ahead when you reach the sails you have to be very careful sticking strengthening fabric onto the jib.  As it is a different fabric to the sails it can wrinkle.

Going back earlier you will know I had my Bella part assembled and that is how I found the sails already done. 

These sails are now on another yacht and I am very conscious of them.
Roy

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2020, 06:35:20 am »

Joe, you certainly don't hang around ..  {-)  :-))

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2020, 07:32:59 am »

Hi Colin-d the Bella reviewer in Model Boats magazine had the kit as a Christmas present and was sailing her on New Years Day just a week!  It is a quick build or the basis of an excellent build and I think we can look forward to the latter.
Roy

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2020, 09:43:33 am »

Hi Joe, re the long bolt - yes it is a load spreader - I've used longer versions (servo push rod) extended down the mast, to form an attachment point for the kicking strap, which then follows the arc of the boom, but like yourself not so keen on screw eyes.
Similar to the above hinge ideas - model 'ball links' with snap-on caps make nice gooseneck pivots - the cap screwed on to a short length of pushrod epoxied into the end of the boom, ball end bolts to a tiny angle bracket, bolted through mast etc - many ways to skin a cat.
Bella's a nice model - another on my expanding bucket list !  regards Paul

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 04:21:40 pm »

In my research on this boat it was mentioned the cabin roof could be a problem bending over the sub frame as it tends to break along the laser cut plank effect, so I've checked this out and sure enough it dose, so I've braced the under side with some 0.8mm ply I'll also put masking tape across the top when I get to that point, most of the components are Plywood with a Mahogany face but for some reason the cabin roof is 2.5mm solid wood and with the surface laser cut it's almost bound to break, I feel this would have been far better in Ply. Some of the mods I'm doing I think of as logical like the stringers on the chine, not sure why Aeronaut left them out My guess is they were trying to make the kit as beginner proof as possible, other mods are purely my preference and to give me a challenge to make various fittings.

Joe

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2020, 05:11:57 pm »

Hi Joe, I agree with the wood problem but the pale blonde roof does set the rest of the woodwork off and ties in with the deck as well.  Also in full size practice you would normally have a light coloured roof.  Keeps the cabin cooler.
Roy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2020, 05:53:57 pm »

Hooray, another super Joe project, and a Yacht as promised  :-)) :-))  She's already looking good.
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2020, 05:57:47 pm »

Agreed Roy the lighter roof and cockpit sole contasts very well with the Mahogany, could still have been done it plywood though.

Thanks Ian. :-))
Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2020, 02:45:34 pm »

Tuesday,  Pottering along with some assemblies while waiting for the stripwood, thought I'd make up the deck, I have to commend Aeronaut on their precision and laser cutting the deck fitted together extremely well.

Wednesday, the stripwood came today from Slecuk. they are so quick, so got on and fitted the chine stringers, then sanded them to profile, With the stringers fitted it was easier to fit the bottom skins first instead of the topsides as recommended, then fitted the topsides.

Joe
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.