Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Joe's Bella with Mods  (Read 14622 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Joe's Bella with Mods
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2020, 04:03:38 pm »

Hi Roy, I'm using a simple two channel radio on this boat so no adjustment available, the sail control works very nicely and as I prefer a winch to a arm the two turn winch will solve everything, I used an arm system on a True Blue yacht and even fitted in the recommended setup you still had to turn the boat off wind to get the sails in.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2020, 02:51:44 pm »

The 2 turn winch arrived today from Howes Models, great service from them by the way, so a quite simple job of changing the winch servo and even though it was a different make the original drum assembly fitted, so tried out again using a 15" fan and now working well with just the right amount of movement for the sail limits, I'll wait for a nice day to do the trials.

Joe.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2020, 09:57:42 am »

Blimey Joe, I was going to ask on another thread if you'd started the Bella yet! Should have looked in this section earlier.

Unsurprisingly you have made a wonderful job of her and your builds are a great reference for other modellers. If I wasn't so committed to Faireys at the moment with one soon to be started build being a motor sailer then I'd definitely build one. Lovely little yacht and a good choice.

Gotta ask then - what's the next build!!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2020, 02:26:44 pm »

Thanks for your kind comments Chris :-))
I took her to the lakes this morning for the trials, The model yacht club were out in force using both lakes but they were only using half the large lake around their buoy course so I had plenty of room on the west end of the lake, I was going to say she sailed as predicted but actually she sailed a bit better than predicted for her first sail, she's very responsive on steerage and the sail winch worked a treat,  you can haul the sails all the way in even with the wind in them so much better than the arm puller I've used in the past, she ain't going to win any trophies but that's OK I was only looking to have a gentle relaxing sail around the lake and she fits the bill, You may remember I fitted the keel weights 15mm further aft as I'd seen video's other Bella's tending to dip the bow when going about there is still a slight tendency to do that, nothing too bad but I'll put a bit of ballast inside the transom and see if it's better, a pleasant hour spent sailing and a dry interior at the end.

What's next Chris ?  still pondering that one  ;)

Joe

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2020, 02:43:46 pm »

Hello,
Your boat will be able to sail better in stronger Winds if you lower the Mainsail so that the Boom just clears the Cabin.It seems to be too high at the moment.You have done a very good job of the boat !!!.Have a look at my little boats !!!!.   :-)) :-)) :-))
John.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2020, 02:49:39 pm »

HI John what small boats. {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2020, 03:45:30 pm »

Hi Joe Jaydee is a man to listen to.  Is the mainboom still attached to the gooseneck, last shown as being on the tabernackle?
Now you are sailing I attach a photo of my version with a different sail plan which was calculated and carefully planned.
All the best

Roy

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2020, 03:48:00 pm »

Hello,
Your boat will be able to sail better in stronger Winds if you lower the Mainsail so that the Boom just clears the Cabin.

While that is probably true to some extent, a lower boom would probably mean the kicking strap wouldn't clear the forward end of the cabin and would need to be left off.  An effective kicking strap is, in my view, more important for all round good sailing than lowering the Centre of Effort by half an inch. 

She looks lovely on the water Joe, well done!

Greg

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2020, 03:58:57 pm »

Hi John,  I fully understand what you mean about the boom height it is quite high it's how Aeronaut have designed both the Bella and the Bellisima I had thought about lowering it but as said she sails well enough for what I want.

Thanks Greg , By the way can you not use the lake near where you live I think it's called Lakeside

Joe

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2020, 04:03:13 pm »

Thanks Greg , By the way can you not use the lake near where you live I think it's called Lakeside

We have asked at Lakeside, but it is used for fishing (fishermen, for some reason, seem not to like model boats!) and is also riddled with weed (which, we were told, is good for the fish!).  So a big fat no from them.   {:-{

Greg

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2020, 04:13:26 pm »

That's a shame Greg would have been handy for you.

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2020, 04:19:00 pm »

Hi Joe Jaydee is a man to listen to.  Is the mainboom still attached to the gooseneck, last shown as being on the tabernackle?
Now you are sailing I attach a photo of my version with a different sail plan which was calculated and carefully planned.
All the best

Roy

Hi Roy Nice looking rig although have to say the height of the main boom mentioned by Jaydee on mine would seem to be the same height as yours.

Joe.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2020, 05:13:40 pm »

Hi Joe I went had another look at mine apart from photo and you are right. 
If you do try and work out what scale the yacht is built to the main at the helm would want to stand under the main boom and not duck each time he tacked.

regards
Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2020, 05:25:04 pm »

There is a beautifully kept fishing lake near me mainly for competitions I was refused sailing a yacht twice but when I heard the club fees I lost interest anyway. 

They did offer us part of another large lake but accessibility and the trees surrounding the lake would have been of limited use to yachts although some electric power boats might have been OK, however it was a very kind thought and offered for free as well.
Roy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2020, 09:20:38 pm »

Considering the better performance of the blades than you expected; I reckon it is because you are a craftsman by trade being a carpenter? So you know how to get the best out of your tools. I am sure I am not the only one to push a tool too hard and break the blade. I use a piercing saw at work for parting some more troublesome castings from the sprue, but do sometimes push too hard, or flex the blade too much and break it. Given your patience, that tenner will be super value.

Re sail advice, I can vouch for John's as I have seen the boats he built and sails at Wicksteed, but I respect that the kit says to do it that way and I expect they tested their model before committing to paper, but as ever, that doesn't always mean much.

She looks fab on the water and I hope you get lots of enjoyment from learning/relearning how to sail :)
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2020, 06:28:49 pm »

Thanks Ian, Your right I'm a Carpenter & Joiner by trade, It was drummed into me as an Apprentice to let the saw do the cutting, I am on the second blade now but the first one did a lot of brass cutting still got 142 blades so yeah tenner well spent.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2020, 02:08:33 pm »

Just an update, I added 8 ounces of ballast just forward of the transom and raked the mast a little more aft, had another sail trial today, very happy with her now she no longer tends to bury her bow when going about, not a lot of wind today but what there was she used very well.

So what next with Bella finished I've been pondering what to build next, with winter coming and Corvid still making it's presents felt I need something to do other than watch repeats on the Telly there's only so much I can take of that, So I've spent the last few days at the drawing board , if you can tell what it is maybe I've got close to what it should look like, I'm no marine draughtsman or any other kind of draughtsman for that matter so I've no idea yet whether this project will work, there's about 70% guesswork, 20% intuition and 10% knowhow, I only had two measurements length and beam being 66 feet and 18 feet, I've drawn and scratch built Springers and hard chine boats but this is my first attempt  at a traditional displacement hull so the whole thing could end up in the bin, There are a lot of flat areas on this hull so I'll be cladding it with thin ply and some planking this is why there are fewer frames as I'll be fitting stringers between the wider spaces that will be clad with ply all the bow and stern frame shapes I guess you could say are educated guesses, the shape keel is straight forward enough so when it's all assembled maybe with a bit of trimming and bodging I'll end up with something resembling the photo I've been going by, Just ordered the wood from Slec so I'm committed now, although if the project dose go pear shaped the wood will no doubt be used on something else, she'll be 12 volt with a 6 to 1 reduction motor and of course you can't have one of these without smoke.

Joe.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2020, 02:29:31 pm »

Looks good to me and with your building skills Joe, I have every confidence.

I'm in a similar boat (pun intended!) with one of my future builds for a motor sailer. I've got top and side views, so more than you, and a cross-section at the mid-point to provide one hull line. I produced the hull drawings sometime ago and fingers crossed it works out. Intention is to start in the winter once I've progressed my current builds.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2020, 03:02:43 pm »

Thanks Chris and I'm looking forward to your motor sailer build  :-))

Joe.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2020, 06:12:30 pm »

"Can you tell what it is yet?"  Well, I reckon it's a Clyde Puffer, so if it isn't, Joe your drawing is rubbish.   {-)

Always worth following your builds Joe, looking forward to this one!

Greg

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2020, 07:00:44 pm »

{-) {-)  quite right Greg glad you recognised it, so at least it looks right on paper  %% , I was wondering what to build next when I came across an episode of The Tales of Para Handy the mid nineties series on Youtube with Gregor Fisher and the charming little puffer Vital Spark, I thought that'll do or at least I'll have a go.

Joe

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2020, 07:47:41 pm »

Plenty of plans available to allow you to get the correct cross sections. There was a number of drawings in a past Model Boats by Sandy Cousins for making one in card which had good details.
 I have found Puffer plans in June/July 1980 for the Clochlight.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2020, 10:08:39 pm »

Thanks Jim, but honestly it's not about me trying to save a few quid on plans it's about me challenging myself as I like to do sometimes  :-))

Joe.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2020, 11:08:05 am »

It was mainly to allow you to get the correct cross sections for the hull not necessarily to use the bought plans. The Model Boats articles would give the sections which you could scale to your plan design.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2020, 02:02:31 pm »

Hi Jim  Yeah I realized you were only trying to help and I thank you for it, I originally thought of getting plans from Sarik they have three I think, the Vic puffer was close to the size I had in mind but then I thought no lets make the project fun and challenging buy having a go at my first displacement hull drawing and see how I get on.

Joe.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.