Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom 3D Printing  (Read 5717 times)

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
Custom 3D Printing
« on: August 16, 2020, 11:38:50 am »

Can anybody recommend someone or somewhere that will do 'bespoke' 3D printing of smallish parts. At a reasonable cost would be good too.
I don't have CAD designs only photos.

Thanks.

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Custom 3D Printing
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 09:32:52 pm »

Hi Beejay
I’m looking at this too. I’ve made some initial inquiries with a few companies just by Googling. What I’ve discovered is that you’ll need the design work done before any printing and some companies will offer that service too. I think you’ll need drawings with complete dimensions in order to get the design work done.
I know that’s. it the answer to your query; it’s where I got to from the same start as you!
Phil

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 08:27:45 am »

The simplest and cheapest way is to get a 3D printer, learn how to use it, get 3D CAD software and learn how to use that, then spend some quality time learning from the mistakes.  Those who have put the time, effort and cash into the learning process are unlikely to give it away.
A mate had a need for a lot of identical turrets and other fittings.  He went to his nearest Hobbycraft and got the materials and learned about resin moulding.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 09:03:38 am »

I can't justify the cost of a 3D printer, nor do I have the inclination to go down that route to be quite honest.

I would have thought that anyone who has made the investment would be happy to offset some of the costs by making bits for other people. In that situation I certainly would.

As for resin moulding, I have the where-with-all to do that already. I have a tin of silicon moulding rubber, a tin of gel coat and everyone has tins of resin laying around. I could go down that route but was looking for other options.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 09:17:12 am »

Amazing quality but not cheap - maybe you will find what you need here - hundreds of designs in their library - just use the search bar

https://www.shapeways.com/

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=16+gunswarship%5B+turrets
C-3PO

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 10:15:41 am »

My needs are much simpler. All I need is 20 of the black bits on the fender/float. 35mm diameter fender. I'm using orange ping-pong balls as the floats.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 10:46:04 am »

Would be better to draw and print the item out as a complete float.

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 10:53:42 am »

Yes but that would be 20 times the material and time and therefore a much greater cost.

I can buy them complete resin cast for £2.50 each but I have chosen not to do that. The ping pong balls were £3.20 for 12 and I haven't got to spend hours filling in the air bubbles in the castings or painting them.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 12:31:28 pm »

If casting were the alternative, it's basically a cone with a hole through it so why not just a decent lump of plasticene for the mould and the end of a piece of dowel carved to the shape, without the hole of course, pushed in after a couple of coats of silicone spray. Easy to batch make and the bubbles, if any, would be open to the air. small batch of fastglas or similar mixed with some chalk or talc would suffice. Drill hole and fettle as required. {:-{

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 12:48:36 pm »

The simplest and cheapest way is to get a 3D printer, learn how to use it, get 3D CAD software and learn how to use that, then spend some quality time learning from the mistakes.  Those who have put the time, effort and cash into the learning process are unlikely to give it away.
A mate had a need for a lot of identical turrets and other fittings.  He went to his nearest Hobbycraft and got the materials and learned about resin moulding.

Trouble is though Malcolm it's not simple or cheap! I'm an experienced draughtsman (drawing board) and can draw boat designs etc. on the PC to a high standard using Microsoft Visio but CAD is a whole different ball game. I've bought TurboCAD with the intention of 3D printing but even 2D is taking a lot of learning and to become proficient will require hours and hours and I'm not sure I want to commit myself to that and would rather use the time building. Like most things CAD requires ongoing and regular use as well otherwise you forget how to use it.

As said 3D printing companies will require the file to print, so fully designed, otherwise if they can do the drawings to produce the file it will be expensive and not cost effective. It will be far more expensive that the other options i.e. buying the resin parts.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 01:14:23 pm »

I haven't got to spend hours filling in the air bubbles in the castings or painting them

Have you had much experience of working with 3d printed parts? They tend to need significant post finishing putty and paint, especially if using the fdm process which is the most cost effective. resin printers give the best finish, but the parts are fragile and the cost much higher.

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 01:18:56 pm »

Ah well, it was just a thought. I'll make one out of Milliput and cast some silicone moulds.

That will cost me nothing as I have all the necessaries in stock.
If I had a lathe I would just turn them out of black nylon, I've got that in stock too. I could do so much if I just had a lathe, I really miss not having access to the school workshop now I've started doing boats again.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 01:35:14 pm »

Heavy duty drill?
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 01:37:59 pm »

I could do it on the pillar drill I guess but it always seems a bit odd working 'sideways'.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 01:41:34 pm »

There are a lot of myths out there regarding 3d printing. It's a combined tool and technique which is highly useful for some things, but for others more conventional methods are better. This is especially the case if you lack any experience or ability with CAD or 3D modelling. Hiring bureaus are expensive for the hobbyist, with sub £100 printers on the market, but they do give you access to some technologies unavailable for consumer machines

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2020, 11:28:34 am »

The killer in this instance is the design work required. Making something that fits the ping-pong ball is going to be an hour of anyone's time - so budget several times the cost of the ready made ones just for that work. Then you have to get the pieces printed, which in resin (so they will need minimal finishing) is also going to cost several times the price of the ready made ones.

Just because someone wants to charge for a model boat detail doesn't mean they are ripping you off.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2020, 12:40:02 pm »

the tricky bit is getting the part right in CAD, allowances need to be made for how the printer used converts the file for printing, mine for instance prints to the outside dimensions, but internal holes need to be made 0.4mm oversize to allow for the nozzle thickness if you need the hole to be precise.
then there is material, some filaments for 3d printers are water soluble, better would be a resin 3d printer that cures layers of resin with a laser, this gives a better finish than laying down layers of filament.

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2020, 01:00:31 pm »

"Just because someone wants to charge for a model boat detail doesn't mean they are ripping you off."

It's not just the cost that makes me not want to use the commercially made fenders/floats. The main reason is that I don't want a dozen or more solid resin floats hanging off my railings, that's a lot of weight to have swinging about.

Everyone has convinced me that 3D printing is not really viable and that's fine. I knew little about it but I know more now, thanks everybody.

I will make a 'master' out of wood or nylon then make a couple of silicon moulds. I can then cast as many as I like out of resin with a bit of filler in it. They still won't be too heavy made that way & attached to a ping pong ball.

This is roughly what I am trying to achieve.  Definitely not with a Guernsey boat though, mine will be Jersey registered.......

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2020, 07:59:16 pm »

What diameter does the black bit need to be and how high, something like that would take tops 30 mins - and I mean tops! - to design and slice ready for print.

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2020, 08:42:05 pm »

Probably about 13mm diameter across the base and about 10mm tall. Ish

Aerodecked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2020, 10:29:49 pm »

Hi.

I put this together in about 40mins just to give you an idea. The print shown wasn't optimised but takes about 18mins each. They don't use a lot of filament so maybe would cost about 40p each "retail"  %%

Rob

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2020, 12:13:00 am »

Hi Aerodecked

That is impressive and only 40mins , what 3d software did you use ?, will you be adding the item to thingiverse? I  have a basic 3d printer and I'm ok at printing but haven't tried to design anything yet.
Thanks timg

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2020, 07:30:09 am »

"I put this together in about 40mins just to give you an idea. The print shown wasn't optimised but takes about 18mins each. They don't use a lot of filament so maybe would cost about 40p each "retail"  %%  "

That looks really good, just shows what can be done, Thanks.

One question, not a moan, is the 'bottom' flat or radiused? They would maybe be better to stick on if they were radiused to fit a 35mm table tennis ball.
If you are willing to make these for me can I order 20?

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2020, 08:03:31 am »

just asking, but have you measured the table tennis balls, the official radius should be 40mm for an international standard ball, just that it might make a difference to the radius (though a smaller radius will just be a deeper hollow on the part, but only touch around the edges.

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2020, 11:04:27 am »

just asking, but have you measured the table tennis balls, the official radius should be 40mm for an international standard ball, just that it might make a difference to the radius (though a smaller radius will just be a deeper hollow on the part, but only touch around the edges.

Thanks for that, you are indeed correct, they are 40mm although it said 35mm on Ebay & on the packaging.
Inattention to detail on my part, I hadn't measured them.

Thank You.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.