Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saito Boiler - convert from liquid to gas fired?  (Read 1518 times)

jpdenver

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just an old fart.
Saito Boiler - convert from liquid to gas fired?
« on: August 16, 2020, 05:54:45 pm »

Just a question -

Has anyone converted a Saito boiler to run on Gas (Butane -Propane) ? 

If so -   Got any pictures? 

Thanks,
Jim Pope 
Denver
Son of a Son of a Sailor.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Saito Boiler - convert from liquid to gas fired?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 06:22:44 pm »

Is the boiler soft soldered, which the the early Saito boilers were, I would look at a very soft flame, if it is silver soldered you maybe be able to find a small gas tank and blow lamp. There will be greater minds than mine here as I only use high pressure steam fired by vaporizing petrol (gas)
Steamed up all the time

carlfmiller

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats + Model Trains + Model Planes!!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 10:52:20 pm »

I bought a Saito boiler outfitted with Jin's (Microcosm)  butane burner and it seems to have worked very well.  There is an  adapter ring on the flue of the boiler that I believe is custom made. Can send dimensions if it's any help. I had one instance where it went dry and it took me a minute to reach the boat and turn off the flame. Yes it got very hot but did no damage except discolored some of the lacquer on the brass. It ran fine on the next two test runs. I do think next time I will reduce the flame because it made more steam than the engine  (an old Saito Greentop T2DR) needed. And check the water sooner, which is only done by timing since there is no sight glass.

I never knew soft solder had been used by Saito, if that were the case, this boiler would have been roont. I consider myself very lucky.

Maybe you are looking at the Saito boilers in the collection ready to sell? I might be interested....

And a photo or two

-Carl

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
    • http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 07:44:49 am »

Hello![/size]YES, you can! And I recommend it..... Alcool,; burner in a boat will switch off as soon as she is out of reach ! Don't ask me why, this is proven!  I did and it seems to work fine.There is a few things to consider before to do the upgrade.1- Every country has his own regulation for the use of pressurized vessels and its manufacturing. But don't panic ! The energy stored in our plants is not enough to blow the room off and you don't let your kids play with. Also you don't broadcast on CNN! Be careful though.2- Soft soldering should not be used, but silver soldering neither. (to be frank, I do    some time but never at the funnel level). In any case, the funnel should be soldered with cupro rods (10%silver max to stay below the melting point of the metal to be welded.) .3- When in use, always have  the funnel covered with water. In the boiler, the temp at the funnel is slightly above the one inside it.Ex: 30 psig = 45 psi abs = +/- 284 °F . If dry funnel , the temp will be closed to the flame'one . Having empty boiler and burner on can lead to scraping it. Carl is  lucky !  If you use a gas burner , try to install a water level to see what you are doing. a 60gr/h jet is enough for the small boiler.  N° 5 is good.Also , insulate you boiler = better for saving heat and preserve your fingers from burns.Steam is fine to play with : just a bit of common sense makes it fun.(sorry for basic globish   )Regards.BIO.http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
    • http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 07:49:10 am »

Type of burner that I use (Bobino):
https://youtu.be/dFeUCtIg000

The red tip improve the gas burning and the pilot light can be reduced to a minimum, it will never blow off .
This one is a 300gr/h but you reduce to 60gr/h.
Cheers.

jpdenver

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just an old fart.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 03:10:47 pm »

Carl,
Can we get pics and dimensions on the adapter and if you have any info on the burner that would be great too. 
Also - what size jet. 

Yes - I have four Saito Boilers coming up for sale soon. 
But Not ready to list yet.   Probably by Monday. Still testing and logging the collection.

KBIO,
Where does that burner come from?
Let's put together a thread here as a reference.

Regards to all,Jim PopeDenver, CO
USA

carlfmiller

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats + Model Trains + Model Planes!!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 08:12:41 pm »

I believe Ed Saley made this adapter from a piece of 1 1/8" brass round. It converts the 25mm flu dia to 27mm which is the ID of Microcosm's 26D burner. Then clamping set screws were added. It also spaces the flame back a little; the Saito boiler is not very long. 

You can see the burner at

http://www.microcosm-engine.com/m26d-gas-burner-for-live-steam-boilersnew-p-228.html#.Xz11wxNKiu4

And I post a photo and sketch below.

Sorry I am not certain, but I think jet has "5" stamped on it.

Note Jin 's description of the ID at 29mm refers to a different ID. Maybe he mean it plugs into a 29mm ID.

-Carl

jpdenver

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just an old fart.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 08:21:21 pm »

Excellent resource thank you.
Jim

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 10:12:24 pm »

Hi Jim, I have converted my Saito B2E boiler to gas burner, also adding a water gauge (silver soldered one bushing, the other connection I took from the special fitting on top, which carries the safety valve too).
Worked perfectly and is a very light boiler for its size. The ceramic burner is a British one (possibly Maccsteam) which happened to fit.

2016-11-27_04-40-11 by -kno3-, on Flickr

jpdenver

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just an old fart.
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 11:49:54 pm »

Is the string so the rabbit can sound the whistle?
JP

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 01:17:41 am »

Exactly :-) Or, when in my tugboat, to connect the whistle to the servo.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 01:24:26 am »

This is a very tidy plant indeed Calin  :-)) ...what is the hooked piece of wire, that runs atwart the base frame just under the boiler burner?......

Obviously it could be an attachment for a servo, but I cannot visualize the function?...the only other thing is a linkage for the drain valve on the de-oiler?

[Isn't it a pity that Winfried Niggle has ceased his production]......

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 10:09:10 am »

Hi Derek,
That wire is flexible and applies a little pressure from before on the burner so it doesn't fall out of the flue. You can see it's further end just passing under the burner.

Yes it is a pity that Niggel's shop is closed. Says due to work overload. I hope he will reopen sometime.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 23 queries.