Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Littering  (Read 2033 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Littering
« on: August 16, 2020, 09:09:11 pm »

Nothing to do with Model Boating I know but reports like this make my blood boil:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-53798298

It seems to be eveywhere. In the local lane Mrs B and I use for a bit of exercising you can see where people have bought a takeaway meal with all the trimmings, eaten it in the car and then just thrown the remains out of the window.

Does anyone understand the mindset of these people?

There seems to be a significant minority who simply don't give a damn about their behaviour and they are probbaly the same people who are keeping Covid infection rates up.

I have no idea what the solution is short of something life threatening!

Colin

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Littering
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 10:46:16 pm »

Put a deposit on each meal like 50p you get it off your next meal when you return your waste and bag or print the car number plate on the bag.
           Regards Howard.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 12:18:26 am »

One of the problems we have is that rubbish bins have been removed because "it costs to much to empty them"
But how much more does it cost to pick up rubbish from all over the site?  <:(

The thing that gets me is that single use shopping bags have been banned but so much more packing is now plastic

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 07:46:40 am »

Curing the problem is not easy. These morons are members of the great unwashed, who don’t care about anyone else or Society. They lack discipline and respect for anything but themselves. This group, breeds others just like them and so their numbers grow Until you reach the epidemic numbers we have today.
I am glad to say that this major problem does not appear to have struck us down here in southern Spain.......yet!!!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 08:51:54 am »

Our Illawarra Live Steamers grounds has a 1Km border of green Native flora along a popular roadway taking motorists North from the beachside area of Wollongong

Over the past 4 years we have also planted just on 1000 Native shrubs & trees to compliment those across the road in Stuart Park

On my walk last Saturday, we have 2 Microwave Ovens, a small wooden table, 4 plastic bags of waste and disappointingly dozens of Meal Packets many with the ever popular Logo of a multi National fast food supplier

I do not single out the food supplier ......the throwers of the Microwaves & the table & the bags of waste are just as bad.... <*< 

Must agree with Colin ......"I have no idea what the solution"

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 09:04:29 am »

Britain was a rubbish tip in the 60's & 70's hence the very costly keep Britain tidy campaign. I don't think it made much difference to behavior and unfortunately the population is 20 million more today.
The UK needs a police force twice the size and it could easily be self financing through misdemeanor fines if they could be bothered to get out of their nice cosy patrol cars that never seem to turn the engine off either for heating or AC.
As for Spain I did a summit and seashore cycle tour of Andalucia in 2006 and there was plenty of evidence of fly tipping.
Tougher penalties and more diligence are the only answer, once word gets around that people are getting caught and heavily fined there may be a  small chance of making those responsible think twice.

Also it does not help when the bins provided are not emptied frequently enough
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 09:42:57 am »

Also it does not help when the bins provided are not emptied frequently enough

....if ever!  >>:-(
Regards
Kit

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 12:11:20 pm »

There are no rubbish bins near or around the pond we sail on, in the middle of a housing estate, because there is no budget to empty them. Club members spent a good 40 minutes yesterday extracting flimsy plastic, which floats beneath the surface, from around props.The bean counters have a lot to answer for.
Don't Assume Check

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 12:27:36 pm »

Whilst it is nice to have rubbish bins that somebody else empties for you, it is not beyond the wit of man to take your rubbish home with you and dispose of it in your own bin. How hard can it be? We do it all the time and it really isn't difficult, only minimal training is required and the skill is easily mastered.

And as for those dog walkers who collect their pet's deposits in a plastic bag and then tie it to the nearest tree the imagination boggles.  >>:-( Just what is going through their minds?

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 12:31:43 pm »

There are no rubbish bins near or around the pond we sail on, in the middle of a housing estate, because there is no budget to empty them. Club members spent a good 40 minutes yesterday extracting flimsy plastic, which floats beneath the surface, from around props.The bean counters have a lot to answer for.

Don't blame the bean counters as they are implementing the priorities of their political masters and the voters (which isn't to say that they always do it faultlessly). Nobody votes for higher taxes unless it is a tax that won't apply to them. Cleaning the pond doesn't generate as many headlines as health/education/social services etc. The money to pay for things has to come from somewhere.
If you want to blame anyone then it is the park users who are irresponsible and poorly socially educated + couldn't care a xxxx.

Colin
Around here we collect our dog poo in a plastic bag & put it down to be collected on our way home. Nobody wants to go on a walk carrying a bag of dog poo. It seems to work OK

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 01:03:43 pm »

Around here we collect our dog poo in a plastic bag & put it down to be collected on our way home. Nobody wants to go on a walk carrying a bag of dog poo. It seems to work OK

So if the dog decides to perform towards the middle of the walk you still have to carry it at least half the distance?

Colin

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 03:43:21 pm »

Nothing to do with Model Boating I know but reports like this make my blood boil:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-53798298

It seems to be eveywhere. In the local lane Mrs B and I use for a bit of exercising you can see where people have bought a takeaway meal with all the trimmings, eaten it in the car and then just thrown the remains out of the window.

Does anyone understand the mindset of these people?

There seems to be a significant minority who simply don't give a damn about their behaviour and they are probbaly the same people who are keeping Covid infection rates up.

I have no idea what the solution is short of something life threatening!

Colin
Before I retired, I used to commute a lot on motorways. The number of works vans with lads inside who'd got their breakfast from 'mackie D' and similar, eat it as they travelled then bunged the paper, trays and cups out the window on the motorway was appalling.
Dashcams were not commonly available then so taking the details and reporting them wasnt an option.
As for dog walkers, yes, I know it's unpleasant but if you have a dog, it's what you have to do and clear up after it. Round here, there's someone who bags it then promptly drops the bag on the pavement. They dont put it in the gutter which is bad enough never mind take it home. I'll catch them one day.

RST

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 01:24:33 am »

I lived in my place for 15 years now and it is supposedley factored (for those who don't know what that means I have to pay council plus an unamed company to do my services, as the local council won't "adopt" my development).

We have some ongoing problems with fly-tipping in communal areas -I did eventually get a 47kg gas cylinder removed from a few doors away before I reported no action by factors and fire service action was required.  We have also experienced over last 15 years much more rubbish in the street, particularly after bin day -council nor residents will pick-up spilled rubbish.

....I pay or a litter pick as part of "factors fees" and gardening services, truth is since the gardeners use "leaf blowers" -there is no way of any debris collection -at all, they just blow the same crap around. This on top of council fees!

...I travel a lot and I USED to stop at the American Embasy in Perth -watched allot of them (mainly tradesmen in vans) just wind the widow down and chuck out -even though they were about 10m from a bin!  It's just disgusting, but nowadays there is nobody there to say not, so why not?
...that story of leaving your bagged dog eggs on the side for the "return" trip -is that serious?  Thats absolutely revolting!!!  Pick them up and carry them with you damnedit!!!!!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2020, 01:40:51 am »

So RST says....'I travel a lot and I USED to stop at the American Embasy in Perth' :o

ahah....just used to drop in for a cuppa 'of coffee' did ya! :embarrassed:

Kimbo [Kim Beazley] is the Governor General of Western Australia of which Perth is the Capital.....prior to this he was an Australian Trade Delegate to the New York in America [jobs for the Boys]

[Kimbo doesn't like me, but that's another story from when he was The Minister for Defence]

Are you a Spy? {-) 

We won't tell [much]  :-X

Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

RST

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 02:58:14 am »

Hi Derek, have you not recieved an American Ambassadors welcome before...?  The most bland , tasteless bit of minced supposed beef you ever touched, the white sugary bread tastes more.  It usually comes with "fries" and be glad of it.

We all know the most succulent and amazing beef in the world is Argentinian!!!!!!!  NZ  has it for lamb.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2020, 03:33:36 am »

Flew into Perth [then up North West] once....didn't leave the airport.......[Kimbo ensured my Passport was endorsed " :police: ...Not permitted to leave the Airport grounds"]

Enjoyed an afternoon of American Fries & a burger courtesy of Macca........[then put the packaging in the rubbish bin provided - the paper wrapping from Maccas food products is not allowed to be recycled as it contains clastogenic grease from the cooking]

https://time.com/4996776/greasy-food-bad-for-you/ ........extract below

"Many people also experience diarrhea and stomach pain after eating greasy food".

China is again buying Argentinian beef & iron ore over the Australian product........[Chinese diplomatic displeasure] Oz barley & wines the latest

So with all of your Worldly travels & experiences ....... this doesn't answer the question.......are you a Spy ....[or not?] >>:-(

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2020, 07:02:27 am »

I once approached a car parked in the doctors car park, not only was he parked across two spaces, but he was throwing his drinks cans and other rubbish into the car park, I approached and asked him to please pick up his rubbish as the surgery staff were busy enough treating patients, he grudgingly got out of his car and picked up a can, but then he obviously had a think about it and got out of the car again and came and threatened to beat me up, to the point of pinning me against my car, and then when i was getting into the car, slamming the door against my leg, shortly after his wife came out and they departed, a passer by came and gave me his car registration, and when I went in to the surgery the staff asked me if I wanted a cup of tea and was i all right.
So what I am saying is if you do see someone who is just chucking their rubbish, its not always a good bet to approach them (he did take his rubbish away with him, though it probably ended up in the road around the next corner

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2020, 07:19:54 am »

<:(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2020, 11:28:00 am »

Used to be quite a lot of litter along a walking path near my home, as the path went alongside the highway and in front of a strip mall with a lumberyard, so you'd see lots of beer bottles, bits of lumber wrap, car parts, food wrappers etc.  Well, you know the phrase 'everything but the kitchen sink'?  Someone threw a bathroom sink in the ditch at one point! 
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2020, 02:15:06 pm »

Just got back from a pleasant walk in the Sussex countryside on the outskirts of Angmering. 20 feet up the footpath was a bag of dogs**t tied to the fence. 20 feet behind me was a bright red dog waste bin.  >>:-(

Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 09:11:31 am »

It seems we are in the planet's 'Cretinaceous' period. While the 50p off next purchase will incentivise some, its like fines for speeding etc, if you are stupid and earn loads then it is beneath you to collect the fifty pence (though greed will encourage some resulting in a positive regards littering) as a hundred pound speeding ticket is beer money. The points are an inconvenience, but as long as you can slow down before the cameras or vans for a few years then you are laughing.

I am not sure other than more policing and higher fines what to do.

Pond weed is your enemy

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2020, 10:04:45 am »

I once approached a car parked in the doctors car park, not only was he parked across two spaces, but he was throwing his drinks cans and other rubbish into the car park, I approached and asked him to please pick up his rubbish as the surgery staff were busy enough treating patients, he grudgingly got out of his car and picked up a can, but then he obviously had a think about it and got out of the car again and came and threatened to beat me up, to the point of pinning me against my car, and then when i was getting into the car, slamming the door against my leg, shortly after his wife came out and they departed, a passer by came and gave me his car registration, and when I went in to the surgery the staff asked me if I wanted a cup of tea and was i all right.
So what I am saying is if you do see someone who is just chucking their rubbish, its not always a good bet to approach them (he did take his rubbish away with him, though it probably ended up in the road around the next corner

Very sadly, yes, this is often the case nowadays if you ask anyone to stop their anti social behaviour, it descends to physical violence or at the very least intimidation.

Of course the perp doesnt see it as being anti social, they are just acting 'normally.' The police are too busy chasing down social media users who call others names so dont expect much recourse there.

My advice to anyone thinking of tackling anti social behaviour is, dont. Unless you are physically active, relatively young and can 'look after yourself.' Just report it or, clear it up yourself. It is the safest thing to do.

RST

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2020, 10:12:15 pm »

I started walking a regular circuit around me as I'm still stuck working at home and frankly starting to notice serious  reduction in fitness the last week or so!!!!

Local schools went back a week or so ago and I am shocked now at the amount of litter which has appeared.  In the short sections of woods between co op and Culloden academy you can now see co op "takeaway" branded food wrappers literally everywhere.  We have a tiny burn subject to a much malgned flood scheme behind me me and the footbridge opened again recently -but starting to fill with co-op branded rubbish again.  It's not co ops fault but most of the litter seems has their name on it so they shouldn't be let off completely!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2020, 11:00:39 pm »

Unfortunately we found the same in Scotland last year and witnessed it happening as kids came out of schools and colleges at lunch time to go to fast food outlets, discarding everything on the way back  :((

I'm not of course saying this is unique to Scotland  %%
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2020, 10:09:15 am »

Just looked back at last years trip and the place I described was Glenrothes  :((
ANDY
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.