Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hachette Bismarck build  (Read 1627 times)

ancient mariner

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Hachette Bismarck build
« on: August 17, 2020, 07:43:21 pm »

Ahoy there me hearties,
                                  After many years of not making any models I wanted to start again. Being somewhat on the tight side I did not buy the Hachette Bismarck build in weekly parts. Licking steam off model boats on e-bay I came across the sale of all the 140 unopened parts of the build. Right I thought in for a penny in for a pound.I started bidding near the closing time for the sale, timing my bid by the second I bid again. I thought I had it but was pipped by the micro second. I was gutted and somewhat grumpy for a good few days. Browsing the same site about 10 days later some one else had all the unopened issues up for sale. This time there was " a buy now" and at at a price lower than bid the previous week. Straight in like a rocket Pay Pal at the ready and it was mine. The whole lot arrived by carrier about a week later. Then the fun began. I will relate my trials and tribulations in later posts.

ancient mariner

• Shipmate
Re: Hachette Bismarck build
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 08:04:00 pm »

To continue: having cleared the decks, so to speak, with the memsahib I set up the ship yard on the worktop in the utility room. Little did she realise how long the build would take. Years!!!! Having put down the the keel, the cross members went up. Then armed with pins, mini clamps and wood glue the planking to make the hull started to go on. First a plank on the port side then one corresponding on the starboard side so as not to distort the keel. Don't want a vessel shaped like a banana. After weeks if not months of placing plank above plank and then plank on top of plank the main structure of the hull was complete. The bow and stern sections were fitted and filed and sand papered into a snug seamless fit. To be continued.

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 09:13:33 pm »

Needs pictures!

Jim

ancient mariner

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 09:01:55 am »

Picture to follow later. By the way I did not have the help, with the build, of the little lego man as did Martin I believe.  :-))

ancient mariner

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 01:16:17 pm »

Help on ancient mariner attach a picture. <:( >:-o

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 07:44:56 pm »

Help on ancient mariner attach a picture. <:( >:-o

You just need to reduce the image file size to under 500kb using one of the many free online image resizing websites. I’m sure you will figure it out

ancient mariner

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 11:33:56 pm »

Trying. Memsahib says very trying at times.

ancient mariner

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 11:36:15 pm »

Whoopee. Success for a simple sailor. :-) :-))  Again thanks for the tip.

ancient mariner

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 08:14:29 pm »

Having finished the hull including varnish and red oxide work stated on the superstructure and twiddly bits (that's a technical term) So pleased that I had all the issues to hand having to wait a week would have in all likelihood sent me shall we say off balance. After several weeks work the guns, superstructure was 90% done. Still the last 10% is outstanding. Then I came to a full stop for possibly over a year as I fought with myself over spending not an inconsiderable amount of money on really myself for motors, propellers, prop shafts, steering gear, esc's and batteries. Not to mention that I had no experience in wiring  up such things. Fate helped in a way, a friend was with a model aircraft enthusiast when they got caught in sudden downpour and his rc transmitter got a soaking. He didn't dare use it again in case it caused his aircraft to fall to the ground with a bump. Ships don't have that problem so he gave it to my friend who in turn gave it to me. It came with two control units ie for rudder, throttle etc. On switching it on it did have life in it so things looked promising. However still I ummed and arred about the cost and my inexperience. Earlier this year before lock down I had to take my granddaughter part of the way on her way back to Uni. This meant meeting up with the other party at Peterbourgh Xtra services. Knowing this was only a few minutes drive from Deans Marine so I loaded up the hull for the trip. After seeing the granddaughter safely off I set off for Deans Marine. At one time I thought I must be lost but I pressed on and with a sigh of relief I eventually came to Deans Marine. May I say what a wonderful place. The gentleman there was a true gentleman and after telling him what I was after soon had me fixed up. Plastic at the ready and the purchase of the gear was made. Rather painless actually. I was treated to guided tour of the shop and the Aladdin's Cave of beautiful models. So armed once home I set to work once again. To be continued.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.