Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/12 scale Fairey Marine Swordsman  (Read 45882 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/12 scale Fairey Marine Swordsman
« Reply #300 on: February 03, 2021, 06:06:50 pm »

Yes, thin the first coat or two to buld up a decent base for the finishing coats.

The Faireys do look their best in blue and white and many of the full size ones are still painted in those colours.

Colin

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #301 on: February 03, 2021, 10:27:34 pm »

Yes, thin the first coat or two to buld up a decent base for the finishing coats.

The Faireys do look their best in blue and white and many of the full size ones are still painted in those colours.

Colin

Its the classic factory colour scheme Colin, but you know that I am also finishing an old original Aerokits Swordsman at the same time as my own plan-built Swordsman and my original Aerokits Swordsman kit that I built in the 1960's was RED................so you never know............... %)

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #302 on: February 05, 2021, 04:44:33 pm »

moved.

2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #303 on: February 05, 2021, 06:14:34 pm »

moved.

The coloured silicone fuel tube that I use in my cooling systems is also shown on page 9 of this thread Colin. It can be seen linking the water-cooling mount nipples to those on the motors water cooling jacket sleeve.

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #304 on: February 08, 2021, 01:11:01 pm »

The first coat of a thinned-down yacht varnish has been applied to the planked rear cab top and the planked cockpit floor of the Swordsman

I tried to replicate the square hatch shapes of the cockpit floor that covers each section of the engine bay frame with the planking pattern on a 4mm plywood floor. It looks OK, but as the PVA dried it has caused the floor to warp slightly upwards, so I nailed it down on the bench before the thin varnish was brushed on and hope that I can persuade it to dry flat again.

When looking at "The White Swordsman", I noticed that the owner had fitted a stainless wrap-around Fairey badge on the bows.

I really fancy replicating this badge on the bows of my Swordsman model.  Cutting the shape would be OK, but stamping or engraving the detail onto it would not be easy, but I suspect that if a few of us "clubbed together" we may be able to get some stamped-out at a reasonable price?

Any other Fairey enthusiasts interested? ...........especially anyone that may know where to get them made!  :-))

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #305 on: February 09, 2021, 12:05:30 pm »

Another thinned coat of varnish was added yesterday and I started to make the outline of the lockers that some Swordsman have towards the rear of the cockpit.  I have seen these with fitted cushions on at least one Swordsman to provide some extra casual seating and thought I would try to replicate them.

I have changed my mind about trying to stamp out some Fairey badge style of shields to fit on the bows, but rather just make an individual design to fit my own Swordsman.

In-between waiting for glue or varnish to dry I will have little "fettle" with a small piece of stainless steel to see what I can come up with and bend it to shape to see if it looks any good.

The snow and cold weather does not encourage me to spend too much time out in my little workshop(shed) but a few minutes now and again helps to keep me occupied!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #306 on: February 09, 2021, 12:16:54 pm »

For my 1:16 scale Swordsman I went on the Fairey Owners website and copied some of the emblems and the flag onto my PC as Jpg images. I then put them into a MS Word document and resized them and printed them out on paper which I stuck in place with Superphatic glue (water clean up). I then sealed them with clear artists varnish. It worked quite well.

With the flag I just copied and reversed the image on my PC and stuck the two halves together.

Colin

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #307 on: February 09, 2021, 12:41:36 pm »

For my 1:16 scale Swordsman I went on the Fairey Owners website and copied some of the emblems and the flag onto my PC as Jpg images. I then put them into a MS Word document and resized them and printed them out on paper which I stuck in place with Superphatic glue (water clean up). I then sealed them with clear artists varnish. It worked quite well.

With the flag I just copied and reversed the image on my PC and stuck the two halves together.

Colin

..........if only I had that amount of knowledge ............computers are not my thing (sadly)  <:(

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #308 on: February 09, 2021, 01:26:38 pm »

Pics.......

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #309 on: February 09, 2021, 04:29:57 pm »

Coming along nicely.

It's good when you get onto the detailing, can be very time consuming but makes all the difference and is very satisfying.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #310 on: February 09, 2021, 05:34:36 pm »

Coming along nicely.

It's good when you get onto the detailing, can be very time consuming but makes all the difference and is very satisfying.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I am using 1.5mm thick planking. If I had used thinner wood I might have been able to make better joints (like marquetry) although I am not too pleased with my first effort I hope I can improve with practice.......meanwhile I need to find some mahogany coloured filler  %)

Painting the decks does have some appeal.......................

Stay safe. 

Bob.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #311 on: February 09, 2021, 09:07:37 pm »

Great progress Bob.
Loving the detail, she's looking better and better with every post.

I have all of this ahead of me and to attempt for the first time.

We all really need to have a Fairey get together one day in the future, that would be an impressive sight.
If we can make it in a few years though as I may have finished at least one of mine by then  :embarrassed:

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #312 on: February 09, 2021, 10:31:51 pm »

Thanks Will,

I am gradually chewing away at it.

Detail is not really my thing, I mostly enjoy running my boats and like you, if it looks good at 20 yards then that will do for me, but I also like to try things that I haven't done before - and decorative planking was one of them!

This extended lock-down has made the difference between adding some planking or just painting it, but I doubt that the second Swordsman (being completed from an old Aerokits kit) will be so lucky - especially if the inoculations programme goes to plan as I would rather be out in the fresh air, riding my MTB and enjoying some time at the lakeside sailing my boats!

Yes it would be good to get together some time and give all our boats a run.  I would love to see a group of Fairey boats all together on the lake, but I would also like to see some of the old classic power boats from the early days to include the superb Vic Smeed powerboat designs (such as Remora and Suzie Q) and of course the equally impressive boats that came from the pen of Les Rowell so that would embrace lots from the Wavemaster 34 through all of the Aerokits range and the LesRo power boats such as the Rapier and Javelin.

If we were to also include the scale models that have been made of powerboats from that same era (such as Tonys Jackie S) we could have quite a well supported regatta - so get your camper van finished and bring a couple of boats with you!

Bob.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #313 on: February 09, 2021, 10:53:27 pm »

I know what you mean Bob.

My intention is to attempt some accurate details on my boats, but I won't be losing sleep if I'm not skilled enough at present to carry this out
As you say, I will be happy if the boats look good on the water, rather than worrying about how detail correct they look on a table/bench at the lake side.

I like your idea of a Classic Power Boat meet too, that would also be a fantastic sight I'm sure.

We'll hopefully get some more done on the van this weekend. Slowly slowly, catchy monkey as they say.

Keep up the good work.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #314 on: February 10, 2021, 09:57:03 am »

Hi Guys,
Re Classic Power Boat meetings - Fleetwood Model Boat Club host an annual classic model boat weekend in July,
it attracts lots of Fairey's, usually ic. powered and all manner of vintage boats - Aerokits, Veron, Frog, Lesro cruisers and crash tenders etc,
many Vic Smeed designs - Remora's, Suzie Q's.

The event evolved around 12 years ago from the Fire Boat/Crash Tender days originally held at Burton, Leicester and Fleetwood model boat clubs,
where Leicester ic. enthusiasts met fellow Fleetwood ic. enthusiasts and organised an event for classic powerboats.

Videos of past meetings are around on Youtube etc.  regards Paul

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #315 on: February 10, 2021, 10:30:59 am »

Hi Paul,

That is a great picture - it could have been taken in the 1960's!

Maybe when we are free to move freely again I could come over to Fleetwood and join in a future event?

It would also be nice to arrange a similar event on the superb Southport Model Boat Club lake - but this event would have to be for electric powered boats as ic engines are not allowed on the Southport Club lake.

It is nice to see a couple of Fairey models in the foreground - and I see that they both have "improved" wooden framed windscreens rather than the wrap-around clear plastic screens.  This has always been a popular modification, and if done well it looks good too!

Stay safe,

Bob.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #316 on: February 10, 2021, 12:06:26 pm »

My intention with my Faireys is to build them as well as I can and put some detail into them but not be too obsessive. With my Huntsman 28 I simply varnished the deck, no lines or planking as I just fancied a gloss deck which is totally wrong!

I'm not rushing my builds as I have RTR/ARTR including a yacht to use in the meantime. Looking forward to getting my own builds on the water though. Taking my time as I don't intend building the same models again as I've got others to start and don't want to look at my existing builds and think that I wished I'd done things better. They won't be perfect but I want to get them as good as I can with my skills. I enjoy using them but the build is important to me and provides a lot of satisfaction.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #317 on: February 10, 2021, 09:03:29 pm »

Chris how about a round britain racer version with painted decks etc ? Paul

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #318 on: February 10, 2021, 11:03:58 pm »

Actually Paul, that's not a bad idea. I started the H28 before I had a go at deck planking and as I said just fancied a model with a high gloss deck. No detail on the deck yet so easy enough to change.

Chris

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #319 on: February 10, 2021, 11:10:05 pm »

The question then Chris, would be which design would you go for?  :-)
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #320 on: February 10, 2021, 11:14:26 pm »

Got to be one of the Ford boats in blue and white. The bow rail is nice and easy as well!

Chris

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #321 on: February 10, 2021, 11:20:36 pm »

If it was me doing it, then it wouldn't be FordSpeed, as she's been done so many times before.
Would be nice to see one of the other ones instead.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #322 on: February 11, 2021, 09:59:49 am »

Hi Will,

Are painted racing boats all Huntsman 28 - or are they Huntsman 31 ?

Was there ever a painted Swordsman?

Bob.

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #323 on: February 11, 2021, 10:03:56 am »

I'd forgotten to post requested pics of my modified cockpit version - recent health issues are stopping me gaining access to the model packed away in the loft.
While 'snowed in' yesterday afternoon, I searched around on Mayhem and found early photo's of my Swordsman at Mayhem, Wicksteed Park in 2009.

The white taped area is a removable section of planking that's replaced by a mesh grill, covering a speaker mounted under the cockpit floor,
pics taken before the sound system was fitted and the hull painted.

Amazed how tiny the brushless looks compared with the monsters available today, but she really goes !
way faster than scale speed - leaping out of the water if you wack the throttle wide open, this can be seen in the 10th photo !

Paul

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17021.125.html

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #324 on: February 11, 2021, 11:01:43 am »

Nicely built Swordsman Paul, no wonder it won an award. An interesting thread as well as there are some other nice models shown.

Chris
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.