Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black Projects T38 Talon  (Read 1461 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Black Projects T38 Talon
« on: August 23, 2020, 04:36:23 pm »

This one is a 3 part model, it could have been a 2 part one, but I was finished cutting it out by the time I thought about it.... Anyway, it weighs in at a very respectable 6g for the bare airframe, and it has a very long nose, so I can fit a small battery way up front for balancing purposes. If it comes in near 20g complete, I will be very happy.
 It has tiny wings so I expect it to be a handful to fly.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Re: Black Projects T38 Talon
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 06:17:17 pm »

I've always like the T38 - such a clean, pretty plane.    How do these fly?     From the little wings it must be crazy fast!

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 09:23:51 pm »

Hi, I am building a few of these little models, while I wait for 4 new boards coming from china. I will report on their performance as soon as I know. The yellow Micro Jet flies nice once the movements were turned down a bit, and trimmed out for level flight, so these should be similar, hopefully. Lol.
This model has the title of 'my smallest rc plane wings, ever'.

I love the shape too, I would like to do a full fuselage build of this one at some point.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 07:02:08 pm »

Glued together and 2 coats of white camo. I was going to paint the bare black depron areas with a mid grey, but I actually love it the way it is. I also hinged the elevons and glued in the horns. Weight is now up nearly 2g. Should be fine, it definately looks better painted.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 09:14:57 pm »

This model has the title of 'my smallest rc plane wings, ever'.

I love the shape too, I would like to do a full fuselage build of this one at some point.
With these flatplate models the fuselage will also contribute lift so your flying surfaces as not as small as you think.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 09:24:40 pm »

True. I am enjoying building these little planes, easy and cheap to build, easy to store and transport, fun to fly and relatively cheap if you happen to lose one.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 09:28:38 pm »

Just having a look at the photos, it looks like there is as much fuselage as there is wing. It glides really well just now with a small weight up front, not tried radio in it yet, I am waiting patiently for 4 coming in the mail

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 05:21:58 pm »

T38 is 224mm wingspan
 395mm long.
 The airframe is a quarter of an ounce with no radio, motor or battery. I never thought I would be able to say that, and have a fair amount of confidence that it will fly.... its whether my reactions are up to it, I will probably be best putting one of my boards in the mk2 tiny delta to get some practice first.
 I am still thinking about a quick change board clip type of thing, mounted in each model, so the board can be swapped easily between them.
 As it stands, with planes I have made, and others I am still working on, I dont have a board for each one, it would be nice, but as they are just spotted in with small hot glue blobs, its easy enough to move them between models. A clip in system would be good though, without the blobs. I thought about doing a 3d printed one, for repeatability, but its another added weight, doubt if I could design it to be strong enough for the board to clip in securely and be as light as 2 blobs of glue. All weight counts at this size, although I was willing to add an estimated 1.5g of paint to a 6g plane, the other 0.26g being the control horns and hinge tape strips.
 There is about 18g of radio, pushrods, motor and battery still to go on, maybe a bit less with a really small battery.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 12:04:35 pm »

I've always preferred these painted in the NASA white - very smart.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 12:57:59 am »

After getting some boards through the post, I decided to fit a board in the T38. Still to make up pushrods and fit a motor, but its nearly ready, I just dont know if I am! Lol. I imagine this little plane will be a big challenge for my flying skills.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 09:58:51 pm »

Ready to fly.... Well, I will give it a go. It still looks like its going to be a challenge, 8.5mm motor should provide more than plenty of power. Total weight with 200mah cell is 26.5g.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 01:21:13 pm »

I still havent flown this little plane yet, I am a bit scared to try it to be perfectly honest. This is the smallest plane I have built for rc and I know it will be fast and very susceptible to torque roll, I have built ones just a bit bigger, and they are a handful to fly for this same reason. My baggy jet is fast and twitchy, best flown over long grass instead of frozen hard ground. The T38 needs long grass for its first test.
I did think of putting a gyro stabilised F949s board in it but the T38 is set up for tailerons and the gyro board doesnt support these. I just need to bite the bullet and have a try as it is.
Its not a big investment of time or money, but I dont like seeing my planes crashing. Lol.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.