Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Astec HFR15 ESC?  (Read 1227 times)

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Astec HFR15 ESC?
« on: August 24, 2020, 03:45:54 pm »

I've just bought a secondhand Al Khubar 2 tug, complete with everything except the radio gear and battery.
Looking at the size of the battery tray, and the spade connectors, I'm guessing it had a fairly large lead acid battery. I've only got LiPos (a selection of 2s and 3s packs), and I'm trying to figure out what to use.

It's fitted with a pair of Torpedo 500 geared motors (not sure what gear ratio) driving 45mm 4 blade brass props in fixed Kort nozzles
It has a pair of Astec HFR15 ESCs.

Google hasn't been helpful in finding info on the ESCs. They look quite old, with a relay sticking out the top - presumably for reversing?

Can anybody help with what the voltage and current ratings are for these ESCs please?

If they are OK at 12V, I'll probably use a pair of 3s 4000mAH LiPos (in parallel), and a chunk of lead for extra ballast.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Astec HFR15 ESC?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 04:59:03 pm »

I have two of these fitted in my Fishery Cruiser, they work very well. As the name implies they are 15 amp units, 2v to 30v without BEC in use and 6v to 14v if you are using the BEC

If you PM me your email address I will send you a copy of the instruction sheet.

You are correct about the relays. If they are not already wired up to do so the relay should only be energised when the boat is reversing to save power. (you can hear it clicking on and off)

Colin

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 05:44:31 pm »

Thanks for the info.

PM sent with my email address

Edited to add:

I've contacted the chap that sold me the boat, and he said it was fine with a 6v battery, and too fast on 12v.

A pair of 2s 5000mAH LiPos in parallel seems like a good compromise, so I'll go with that I think

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 05:59:51 pm »

Instructions sent. Enjoy the boat.

Colin

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 06:25:39 pm »

they are great speed controls  i have 2 in one of my tugs  running on 6volt 4amp  jell cell battery 540 geared 3:3:1  and a 65mm  prop shop props been in there since 2007!    i  think 12volt is a bit much for them  giving!! if they go pop? you cant get the main component  chip  any more

i spoke  to alan shilto?  of astec models early 2000's he stoped producing them as he couldn't get the chips to build them! 

they are perfect for a scale boat the slow start  is fantastic

regards ray

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 06:29:16 pm »

the slow start  is fantastic

Ye, definitely!

Colin

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 06:32:42 pm »

Ye, definitely!

Colin
the only other speed control with the same fine soft start i liked is a robbe rookie at the time  i did pay nearly £70  :o  for one  and of course you  cant get  hold of robbe speed controls  now!  <:(

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 06:49:37 pm »

Instructions received and read - thanks Colin.

Both ESCs have had the red loop wire cut, so BEC disabled.
Reading the instructions, it says that the BEC can only support one ESC, one receiver and 2 servos. I guess this is why the builder has cut both loops, and used a separate receiver pack.

I'm wondering if I should reconnect one of the red loop wires, and use the ESC's BEC circuit?  Will that work with 2 ESCs in the boat?  It's what I'd do if I was using modern brushless ESCs - BEC power from one ESC, cut on the other one. Just a bit concerned that the instructions say that the BEC will only power one ESC.

I'll stick with 2s LiPos.

I'll set the boat up on my Tx to use 2 separate channels for the ESCs, mix for forwards and reverse, and add a bit of "outside" motor to the rudder - works well on my twin-motored Riva

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 07:59:38 pm »

I would stick with a separate RX pack. It is only 4 AA cells and you can use long life rechargeables.

Colin

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 09:47:05 am »

they are great speed controls  i have 2 in one of my tugs  running on 6volt 4amp  jell cell battery 540 geared 3:3:1  and a 65mm  prop shop props been in there since 2007!    i  think 12volt is a bit much for them  giving!! if they go pop? you cant get the main component  chip  any more

i spoke  to alan shilto?  of astec models early 2000's he stoped producing them as he couldn't get the chips to build them! 

they are perfect for a scale boat the slow start  is fantastic

regards ray

Are you using one of the ESC's BECs, a separate BEC, or a receiver pack please?

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 09:48:33 am »

I would stick with a separate RX pack. It is only 4 AA cells and you can use long life rechargeables.

Colin

I've got an "Instant" Rx pack in a yacht that I haven't used for a few months, but it's one more thing to forget to recharge...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.