Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re motoring or learning to be patient ...That is the question !  (Read 779 times)

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
  • What ever Floats YOUR boat

Hi there , been modelling for quite a few years on differing formats , and popped in and out of this Forum over the years .

I have a question about the motors presently in my Tug , which was built primarily by me to assist in recovery of club members models should they break down on our club lakes used .
these include both wind and electrically powered models which use the facility .

The Tug is a mmm Ayton Cross hull adapted to resemble a Damian 280 ASD and is currently powered by two MPA 540 2.5:1 geared  motors ....via two 52mm Kort's using 5 blade bronze props

Recovery is affected by a self designed "floating boom" tethered by line to a hand reel with 500 m of nylon line which has worked well for a few years now .

With the recent bog of weed in these locations which wraps around the models it has become difficult to tow the line out .
the tug drive has been extensively modified by caging in the propulsion train but recently  this has added to the effort to get out there to encircle the vessel prior to returning to shore

My vessel is equipped with all Action electronics equipment  which apart from ingestion of flotsam which melted a motor has worked very well indeed and has 2 x 12v 14 Amp hour batteries installed .

The original motors were those sold by MMM along with the hull which along with the resin Kort's were not up to its application and the replacement  motors were suggested by our dear friend on this forum who may not have known at the time the work it performs and in a weed free environment works perfectly but of late has been hard pushed to cope , new metal Kort's were bought from my supplier of bronze props and are the bees knees

I have been toying with the idea of replacing these yet again with a pair of MFA 800 using their reduction gear train with the toothed cog drive belt employing a 2.5:1 ratio gear train .

I have looked at buying these but along with spares the cost is prohibitive at £180.00 , so now knowing the afore going have any of you any suggestions please or alternatives perhaps
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.