Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trawlerphotos website no more?  (Read 1265 times)

RST

trawlerphotos website no more?
« on: August 26, 2020, 01:18:37 am »

....Typical, looked on it for ages but as soon as I need it for reference pics, it seems to have gone now.  Something to do with a move to facebook?

I guess they had their reasons but what a shame, a great photo database seems totally lost now.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: trawlerphotos website no more?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 02:19:59 am »

https://trawlerphotos.co.uk/

Fiskerforum.dk has owned Trawlerphotos for many years, but as online trends and news consumption patterns change, we have decided to phase out the Trawlerphotos page in its current form, partly because it has been in existence for so long that technology has left it behind and updates are problematic – focusing instead on our other digital platforms.
Take a look at the Trawlerphotos page and group on Facebook and keep posting you pictures in those forums for them to be visible to everyone in the fishing industry.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RST

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 02:27:32 am »

....yes Martin, that's just what's quoted on their website now. Bit of shame but ho hum it's gone.  I was a only a voyeur I guess but a great resource for reference photos in the web now gone.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 09:57:54 am »

I am not sure what to expect but Martin's link still works for me & takes me to a full website with lots of pictures etc.
Grab what you want whilst you can.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 11:07:41 am »

The problem was that the company that wrote the gallery software went bust around 6 years ago and trying to keep that running without backup and updates meant hackers could get in far too easily , sadly due to this coronavirus advertising fell off a cliff and the site wasn't earning money so it had to be taken down. It was backed up offline onto a pc but as they couldn't extract the comments with the photos they couldn't transfer the 180,000 photos into a new software package.
I'm going to get a backup of it soon just for keeps sakes ( it won't run on a pc as it needs the software on a real server which is completely different , Linux not Windows )
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 11:41:38 am »

Lots of people run Linux on their PC's as an alternative to Windows. You can have both on the same machine but not run both at the same time.

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 12:51:52 pm »

That's about the norm these days, everything just does Facebook. Which while I use Facebook I find it very 2nd rate compared with a dedicated website. I guess that some would consider it progress however I believe that going 100% to Facebook is a retrograde step and a serious dumbing down of the internet experience.

As far as businesses are concerned one with a proper website is always going to get my business rather than those that solely rely on 'Kiddy Media' Facebook.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.