Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dyeing Sails  (Read 1759 times)

Metal mangler

• Full Mayhemer
Dyeing Sails
« on: August 27, 2020, 11:18:54 am »

Nearly finished sewing the sails for Loise Heloise and now looking to dye them. I think they should look similar to a Thames Barge but all I can find on the Internet are red or burgundy which look very bright.
Can anyone suggest a make and colour of dye that gives a typical old fishing boat sail colour that they have used successfully.
Thanks
Dave.

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dyeing Sails
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 04:48:25 pm »

When I Dyed my Barge Sails I used Dylon = Terracotta, Heated up in an old Saucepan I seem to remember.

Metal mangler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 08:47:20 pm »

Thanks Ada, looks great but just my luck they have discontinued terracotta.
The search continues,
Dave.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 09:25:41 pm »

Why do you need a colour? Sails were, in their original colour an off white. Colours were more expensive so most vessels stayed traditional. If you do this, use a tea bag and boiling water or the dregs from a milk less coffee to stain the sails.

RST

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 09:52:25 pm »

I held-off until the first person mentioned tea!  It's a long time since I did it but it worked back then and still see it mentioned so why not try it?  Any scraps you can try on?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 02:05:10 am »

Why do you need a colour? Sails were, in their original colour an off white. Colours were more expensive so most vessels stayed traditional. If you do this, use a tea bag and boiling water or the dregs from a milk less coffee to stain the sails.

Some sails were treated with tannin or Stockholm tar, to help protect them from the elements. I cannot find a reference now, but I think I read somewhere, a few years ago, that some sails were treated with animal waste, that was brushed onto the sail material. They were not dyed as such, but stained by the weatherproofing.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.