Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Model boat manufacturers  (Read 4330 times)

ahammond

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Model boat manufacturers
« on: August 28, 2020, 08:56:00 am »

I am getting back into the hobby again after a few years absence. I have finally managed to complete a Mountfleet Highlander puffer which I started three years ago and am looking for a winter build. It seems to me that Krick have taken over most of the model boat manufacturers in Europe including the UK.  I am just wondering if they have also improved the quality of the kits? In particular I was thinking of Caldercraft as I remember building the Joffre about ten years ago and not being over impressed with the quality of some parts of the kit especially around the superstructure.  To give an idea of the range of build I am considering it starts with the Alexandra, with steam plant,  and goes up to the Imara with twin motors.   I am just dubious about paying out for the likes of the Imara to find on delivery that it suffers the same quality problems as the Joffre did. Mountfleet models I find alright but the white metal castings on the Highlander left a lot to be desired and I may over the winter replace all of the rigging fittings with better quality products. The instructions were also pretty vague in places with hand drawn diagrams that did not look very professional to me.  So basically I am looking for a reasonable Krick quality kit that will keep me occupied for a few months without getting me bogged down in trying to decipher instructions or involve seeking out third party replacement parts.  Any recommendations or comments welcome.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Model boat manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 09:13:57 am »

Take a look at the build logs on the forum  O0  in working vessels section

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,57420.0.html

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

ahammond

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 09:43:44 am »

Just had a quick look at the Imara build.  The thing that stood ou immediately and reminded me of the Joffre was the rudder. I ended up replacing it with a plastic Robbe rudder. The trouble was that the brass shaft did not attach very well to the white metal body of the rudder and was coming loose. Why Caldercraft persisted with it is beyond me.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 10:01:23 am »

I don’t think a kit exists that cannot be improved upon by the modeller
ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 10:12:46 am »

The trouble was that the brass shaft did not attach very well to the white metal body of the rudder and was coming loose. Why Caldercraft persisted with it is beyond me.

Cost really! White metal is not really suitable for working parts, least of all great heavy rudders! I never use them and make my own treating the supplied item as a pattern. As Taranis says, 'I don’t think a kit exists that cannot be improved upon by the modeller'.

Colin

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 10:44:24 am »

So basically I am looking for a reasonable Krick quality kit that will keep me occupied for a few months without getting me bogged down in trying to decipher instructions or involve seeking out third party replacement parts.  Any recomendations or comments welcome.

Obviously, not a lot of people know this.... 
Krick themselves, only produce about 30 of the hundred so kits on their website, the rest are imported from all over the world...

Okay a few more kits were added as Krick bought the moulds from Robbe, and now labeled as RoMarine

So to get a "krick quality" kit..   what is meant by this... Dumas, Billings boats, Mantua, Nordic, Amati,...

All kits can be bashed... as has already been mentioned..

ahammond

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 10:56:51 am »

I totally agree. My model of the Highlander is different to every other one made as is every other one made different to mine. For instance I omitted the the toilet and put a 40 gallon oildrum in its place among other modifications. But getting back to my original question have Krick done anything to improve the Caldercraft range of models? I notice for instance that they quote cnc cut wooden parts in the description. I am not sure if cnc cutting was available when the model was first introduced by Caldercraft.  I also notice that Krick/Robbe use polystyrene hulls as oppsed to fibreglass. Having built a couple of polystyrene hulled  boats I have to admit that I prefer it to fibreglass from a building point of view.

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 11:07:35 am »

Okay, so you need a different answer, instead of... "krick only import"

The only thing krick does to imported kits, is...  produce the instructions in German...

So if mentioned that the kit in cnc milled then this is how krick gets the kit...

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 11:15:34 am »

IMHO, there's a dearth of what I call quality model boat manufacturers out there regarding choice, size and price. Sadly and unless the business is bought, we have lost the fine model range of Model Slipway. We lost another well known UK manufacturer 12 - 24 months ago.
Many of what Id call European models or manufacturer's offering just dont float my boat. If you're into tugs, it's Mobile Marine Modelling, Mountfleet has a reasonable selection although some of the range share the same hulls, Fleetscale, Deans and Sirmar for warships.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 11:19:31 am »

Caldercraft kits are made by JoTika in the UK.

http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/index.htm

I did the original Model Boats magazine reviews for Talacle, Cumbrae and Imara when they first came out around 1990. Since then my impression is that while CNC routing may now be used to cut out a variety of parts, the originals were used as a pattern so some original errors have been carried forward into current production. I can't be more specific than that but I have noticd that build logs over the years since have often mentioned the same problems that I found although, to be fair, they were relatively minor in terms of being able to produce a decent model. A classic example is that the bridge on Talacre is the wrong way round and this has never been corrected.

It would be unfair to single out Caldercraft however as other manufacturers often have similar uncorrected issues in the parts or drawings, particularly of older models. I guess that the sales numbers are often too small to justify the cost of reworking.

Another thing to bear in mind is that even if a kit goes together well it may not be technically correct from the scale point of view. Manufacturers frequently simplify things to make production easier (and commercially viable) and sometimes make changes to ensure that the model will perform properly. For example it was some time after completing the Caldercarft Cumbrae that I realised that the hull was quite a bit wider than it should have been when I happened to see some accurate scale plans. However, had the kit been built  strictly to scale with the materials available it would have been unstable. As it is, the model looks right on the water and sails very well.

Colin

ahammond

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 11:27:20 am »

Model slipway  were good I built one of their kits a few years ago. Not only was the kit good but the fact that you could phone up and speak to the person who designed and produced the model when things went pear shape was a massive bonus. Deans marine I have never been impressed with since I tried to build their broads cruiser and ended up with more in the bin than on the work bench. I am pretty broad minded when it comes to choice of build as I say anything from the Aleander steam launch through to the Imara. The main drawback with the Alexander is I am still not sure if the engine can be radio controlled as when I asked Krick the reply was very unclear. Better than my German admiitedly but I am still not sure if it can be run from a servo.

RST

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 07:47:33 pm »

Most things in life: the better the "quality" usually the higher the price to recoup RoI. Everything is a balance, and individual perceptions vary so much as well.  As Colin mentioned before some people are horrified that beam, draught and things like rudders are not true to scale -but the manufacturer maybe made it easier for the modeller.  It all depends on what the end user wants.

It's the same in other hobbies but I did get fed up with kits from a certain n gauge supplier. 30+ year old moulds. Mouldings almost unusable.  I remember having to file a kit body back to bare basics (which I realised after I could have made same myself), both bogies supplied were u/s, buffer beam detail u/s.  By the time I bought the replacement parts from others I'd have been better off scratch building.  But then I was told I should be thankful that the kit was made and replacing 75% was not unreasonable in the hobby just to get something close to working!  That's thankfully not the case in model boating world.

Seacommander

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 09:38:03 pm »

Anyone completed the Orion Mouldings Puffer?
Comment would be appreciated 
Thanks

RST

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 09:47:36 pm »

Anyone completed the Orion Mouldings Puffer?
Comment would be appreciated 
Thanks

...would love to, it's just a bit big for me (that said, I'd probably only buy hull and bare min essentials). I'm tipping on buying the fleet tender hull though.  Perhaps I should not have sorry posted or just said no LoL. Sorry

RST

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 09:58:45 pm »

To go back to post of colin-d before also: the krick website for me clearly states they are supplying kits via Billings, Dumas etc etc. Whether you perceive a grp or vac-formed hull is best and from memory graupner and robbe offered both  is more down to personal preference.  Having built wood, GRP and vac-formed I settle on vac-formed every day now but that's just me.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 10:56:35 pm »

Hi Guys,
 I have a few of Anth's  Orions hulls and there very well made and strong and at a scale I like normally you get a Hull and plan perfect if your a modeller and not just a kit builder, I for one cant understand anyone wanting a perfect kit as it would be so dear  and a bit like building a Airfix or Trumpeter kit sticking A to B and B to C to me that's not modelling  but just a kit builder even Model Slipway kits you have to cut things bits out and made it unless things have changed even my SD14 am doing it the moment is card and you have to cut every bit out and cut hundreds of slots and even then some part that should of been the same size aren't so still have to check and sometimes cut another bit just my rant not here to up-set anyone.
            Regards Howard.

RST

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2020, 11:13:31 pm »

Just bit the bullet and tried to order a fleet tender hull from Orion -SOLD OUT!  Story of my life LoL.

ahammond

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 05:45:06 am »

Like RST I was very much into N gauge model railways at one time and that involved an awful lot of scratch building and adapting things to suit. I also did balsa model aircraft for a while.  So I am no stranger to building from the ground up. But every now and again it would be nice to get a model where the parts fit without spending hours filing and sanding to get it right.  A slight change of subject and not nautical if anybody fancies a fun to build with a little bit of a challenge and operate model I would highly recomend the Rokr kits marble runs. I made one whilst building the Highlander and they are quite addictive. No glue just a bit of sandpaper and some patience required.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2020, 08:24:15 am »

ANDY

ahammond

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2020, 08:59:53 am »

Thanks for the tip. I have seen the model advertised but did not realise it was so comprehensive a kit. I am assuming that like the Robbe Paula it is more representative of a type rather than a scale model of an actual boat.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2020, 06:50:40 pm »

Caldercraft are a British independent company and nothing to do with Krick.  They are 'older' kits and the parts, method of build etc. reflect that.  The cost to 'bring them up to date' would be prohibitive.  They are not a huge conglomerate with a factory workforce - much like the rest of the British model boat manufacturers they are a small family concern who have supplied the enthusiast for years.

We, at Linkspan, are fairly recent to the manufacturing scene so we have had the chance to embrace the modern technology.  Our drawings are all CAD produced, the superstructures are laser-cut for accuracy and the vast majority of the fittings are 3D printed using the sintered powder technique not the filament type - a not inconsiderable investment!  Our philosophy with out kits has been to design them such that they can be a pleasure to build, fit together well and are less likely to end up in the bin because of frustration.  Unfortunately, this technology comes at a cost which has to be recouped but, we have been told on a number of occasions, that our prices are not extravagant for what you get.  I will leave that view to those who have bought our kits!!!

In the end, you pays yer money and takes yer choice - and yer choice has to be based on the prototype of what you want to build.

You wont find a car ferry kit at Caldercraft or Mountfleet Models!!!  ok2 ok2

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2020, 07:04:08 pm »

I keep saying it and in the RC world, everything is a compromise unless you're building it from scratch. Doesnt matter whether it is model trains, planes, helis or boats. Some compromises have to be made for the vast majority to get enjoyment from them.
Oh and we havent started about price yet, have we?

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2020, 11:41:29 pm »

That's a coincidence, I was chatting ( on line) with an old mate just last week. He's halfway through building a Linkspan  Free Enterprise. He said it shows how far kit manufacturing has changed, a real pleasure to build.
   Having built a ferry model myself, they are a delight to sail, and an eyecatcher for spectators.
Chas

ahammond

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2020, 06:17:18 am »

I have to admit that this is the first time that I have heard of Linkspan Models. A quick look at the web site and the prices are to my mind very reasonable when compared to other offerings on the market. Unfortunately the subjects are not really what I am looking for.  Now if you could make a model of the Fred Olsen line trimaran ferris that I have seen using the harbour at Los Cristianos in the Canary Islands that would definitely be first on my list.  To give you a rough idea they are very Dan Darish in look and different to anything I have seen in UK waters. Unfortunately I do not have any photos of them. But a quick look on the net will show you what I mean.

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2020, 11:59:32 am »

I've just had a look at the Olsen trimaran ferry, I see what you mean. I can almost picture Thunderbird 1 landing on the roof. If Linkspan ever kit that one, I'll be in the queue for it.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.