Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model boat manufacturers  (Read 4318 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model boat manufacturers
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2020, 01:36:51 pm »

Or the old russian built hydrafoils operating out of Rhodes in the 80-90's  {-)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

ahammond

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2020, 06:58:33 am »

I opted for the Aeronaut Jonny in the end. It boiled down to a choice between that and the Mountfleet Bangarth.  But I wanted something that would be a bit more straightforward to build witout involving hours of sanding etc. The real clincher though was when I was walking the dog at Tynemouth and watching a modern tug towing a barge towards Blyth harbour. The sort of thing the Jonny would be used for in real life. Unfortunately when it came to the actual purchase I had to order it from Germany off Ebay. There are no model shops that I know of in Newcastle any more and the UK mail order shops were all £45 to £70 more including postage. I did check a couple of UK shops to see if they would reduce their price a bit or maybe do a package deal maybe with motors or bow thruster for a bit more than their listed price. All were very polite but obviously their profit margins ruled it out.  At least the £45 saved will be spent on a bow thuster from a UK source.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2020, 07:41:59 am »

Did you realise Cornwall models give 5% off everything to members ?
Membership is £10 but the discount is bigger plus delivery is free.
Anyway I hope you’ll do a build log as I fancied this myself  :-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

ahammond

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2020, 08:44:19 am »

I did enquire at Cornwall Models. The trouble with membership deals is that you are to a certain extent tied into the shop even if just to recoup the cost of membership, as with the similar deals that some garden centres do, and I did not want that. Having said which they are selling a Disar work station that I quite fancy to help bring some semblance of order to what passes for my modelling room at £9 less than anywhere else including the bay. I also noticed that Krick sell Caldercraft models at a hefty mark up over the UK prices even allowing for the cost of translating the instructions into a different language. They also sell the figures that are included in the UK market kits as an extra and not a very cheap extra at that.  So it is a case of swings and roundabouts.  I am not sure that my modelling skills are up to the scrutiny of a build blog. But when I get started I will take a few photos and see where things go from there. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.