Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: old blueprints.....a problem  (Read 1938 times)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
old blueprints.....a problem
« on: August 30, 2020, 07:36:37 am »

I have several old sets of plans done in the old dyeline blue. the biggest problem i have now is that they are fading, even though they are kept in rolled condition and in tubes in a dark dry area.
I have tried scanning them, but they come out really crap. I was thinking of overdrawing them with black ink.
any other ideas on how to keep these plans before they fade away?
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: old blueprints.....a problem
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 07:38:36 am »

ps the scanning was a professional scanner, not a home scanner! I worked in the print trade!
full time penguin

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 08:30:18 am »

Once the image has faded it is gone although there are a few cases where keeping them in the dark has brought back the image but if they have been in the dark until now, that probably will not work.   Depending on your drawing ability and the complexity you could try tracing over the drawing and then have a modern print made.
To prevent 'bleed through' Blueprints should be stored flat between acid free paper and not rolled.   There are a number of web sites that explain their conservation

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 09:15:22 am »

Klunk, Can you clarify , when you say blueprint do you mean the type of print where the background is blue and the lines and print are white or are you referring to the DIAZO print where the background is white and the lines and work are in blue line ?  ( white print)
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 10:45:39 am »

to be honest i have both types,  but yes these are the ones that are really getting bad
full time penguin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 10:46:40 am »

to be honest, i have both, but the pic above are the ones im trying to save
full time penguin

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 11:34:35 am »

the originals were probably printed and then fixed using ammonia, somewhere there would be an original drawing, a transparency, the big problem is that it was a light printing process, so the results will fade with time, there isnt really a solution other than manual tracing over, where you can still see te detail (the eye/brain interface is far more sensitive to this than any scanner)

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 10:19:10 pm »

The problem will be the type of scanner - You do get scanners which can recover faded detail from Ozalid type prints
  • They are few, far between and expensive to run
  • Difficult to get access to.
However the original scan if done at a high enough dpi can be run through image processing software which could recover a lot of the faded detail

If you can get a good draughtsman - they could trace over the original and create a new transparency - but good drafters are rare theses days.

As the diazol is just faded - it can sometime be re-fixed - but again this is a specailist task.

Des

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 12:50:35 am »

I once purchased a set of Model Boat Magazine plans - but the prints I received looked like they had been in poor storage for several years.
What I did was to take these plans to a copy / print outlet and have them scanned to a pdf file.  I then imported this file as an underlay into AutoCAD LT, scaled it, and then laboriously "traced" the plans into a dwg file.  This can then be printed using a Xerox type process which should be a little more permanent, but at least can be clearly read.
Des

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 08:12:13 pm »

That's what I do for some of my models, without the printing and using Visio instead of CAD, but it's hard work tracing indistinct drawings especially if there are lots of spots etc. and lines are close together.

As for tracing onto film or tracing paper (I was an architectural draughtsman) you'd really, really want to do it, if it was a complicated and detailed drawing!

The sort of preservation required is sadly the preserve of museums etc. due to the expertise required and cost involved and sadly many drawings, not only for model boats will disappear.

Chris   
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.